Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 12:07 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post

Disgusted with all the "sweeteners" out there. Even "Stevia in the Raw" has dextrose in it. I chose "Agave in the Raw" instead as it does not spike blood sugar too much. Everything else has erythritol in it, which is bad for kidney crystals (IC) and stones. I have IC so I cannot ingest erythritol at all.
I buy pure stevia online, no erythritol or other fillers. It's so concentrated that 1/8 tsp sweetens a half gallon of iced tea.

I have not found pure stevia on the grocery shelves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 12:38 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Thanks for that. I'll search for it. It would be nice to switch between the agave nectar and the stevia, especially when away from home. Years ago I tried Stevia and I think the reason I hated the taste and aftertaste is because of the additives.

By the way, have you tried more than one brand of pure stevia? Do they taste any different?

Old 09-01-2023, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that. I'll search for it. It would be nice to switch between the agave nectar and the stevia, especially when away from home. Years ago I tried Stevia and I think the reason I hated the taste and aftertaste is because of the additives.

By the way, have you tried more than one brand of pure stevia? Do they taste any different?
The pure ones all taste the same.
I got some that claimed to be pure, but it took way more powder for the same sweetness, and gave me a headache. I checked reviews, others reported the same problems. No returns or refunds, so the seller knew it was fake. Learn from my mistake, check reviews before ordering!

Old 09-01-2023, 05:57 PM

Finally read through this thread. I'm not doing this to "live longer." In fact, I don't really care to "live longer." What I care about is feeling good and living without pain or living with less pain during whatever time I have left.

Everyone's body is different. I've recently being eating a very poor diet high in carbs and sugar. Too much "bread" type products.

Eliminating things that cause inflammation and pain is what I'm looking to do. Eating certain things in moderation, but knowing that if I "cheat" with certain things I'll be right back to the things that cause inflammation and pain. In the past I've responded quite well to low carb, calories restricted to 1400-1500. We'll see now that it is 16 years later.

I understand there is no such thing as keto light. Sending the body into ketosis to kickstart a reset and then sticking to the above.

Old 09-02-2023, 10:04 AM

Quote:

I understand there is no such thing as keto light. Sending the body into ketosis to kickstart a reset and then sticking to the above.
I agree, you're either in ketosis or you aren't.

However, you can certainly benefit from reducing carbs, even if you don't reach ketosis.

Old 09-02-2023, 10:11 AM

I'm still searching for a product that is returnable. I actually doubt Stevia is returnable on Amazon, but I could be wrong. I ordered one item and it got some bad reviews. It's hard to know, because everyone's taste is different. Fortunately, I caught the mistake in time and was able to cancel.

Old 09-02-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I'm still searching for a product that is returnable. I actually doubt Stevia is returnable on Amazon, but I could be wrong. I ordered one item and it got some bad reviews. It's hard to know, because everyone's taste is different. Fortunately, I caught the mistake in time and was able to cancel.
CCnature Stevia Powder Extract Natural Sweetener Zero Calorie Sugar Substitute 4oz
Is what I've been using for a few years. 4.6/5 rating on Amazon. 4oz lasts me six months or more.

Old 09-02-2023, 02:06 PM

Thank you steiconi!! I was going to post and ask you which one you use, because there are so many brands out there and many of them have some 10% 1-star reviews with no return allowed.

Old 09-02-2023, 02:28 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
There are plenty of low carb vegetables you can incorporate: broccoli, celery, green beans, squash, cabbage, zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, celeriac, lettuce. One of our common meals is an Asian stir fry with tofu or a meat protein and a side of palm or cauliflower fried “rice”.
I read the above description and realize why most of us have a hard time with low-carb diets, and therefore struggle so much with weight loss. If you are able to actually eat like this and be satisfied, I give you a lot of kudos.

I don't eat fast food, and I hate processed food, but I love to cook, and by themselves, these things are just bland, bland, bland.

I've tried tofu, I've tried cauliflower "rice". Nope, not happening.

Old 09-02-2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I read the above description and realize why most of us have a hard time with low-carb diets, and therefore struggle so much with weight loss. If you are able to actually eat like this and be satisfied, I give you a lot of kudos.

I don't eat fast food, and I hate processed food, but I love to cook, and by themselves, these things are just bland, bland, bland.

I've tried tofu, I've tried cauliflower "rice". Nope, not happening.
I suspect many people give up on low carb diets because they can't bring themselves to embrace the fat. Fat is flavor! I don't like plain cauliflower, but add butter and seasoning and it's delicious!

The damn Food Pyramid convinced us all that we must avoid fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss