Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 11:45 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times

Advertisements

To be fair, s/he probably DID learn nutrition--from the horrendous Food Pyramid, which has been the primary driver of the obesity epidemic.

"MyPlate" isn't much better.

Carbs are NOT the best choice to eat. Fats are NOT bad for you!

Please learn about current nutrition science, and forget all that '80s garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 12:35 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
There is no way you cut your calories in half and are the same weight. That's physically impossible. You are either vaguely estimating it or tracking it incorrectly.

You need more precise measurements. Use measuring cups and a food scale, and track everything. Including sauces, beverages, condiments, small snacks, etc.

Calories are calories. It doesn't matter if you only eat between 1 and 7pm. If you're not at a caloric deficit, it doesn't matter what window of time you eat in.

Less processed food is fine, but you need to track calories and grams of protein every day. Not just the names of the foods you eat.

You don't have to have to sacrifice your favorite food either. You can just eat what you normally eat, but measure it out at lower portion sizes. Eating foods you don't genuinely like is what causes people to abandon diets. Consistency is important. Gradual weight loss eating foods you enjoy is better than torturing yourself and then giving up.
I don’t understand the people who tell me that I am either lying or fabricating things. What do I have to gain by doing that. I am stating th facts. The past 3 weeks, I am losing nearly nothing and I wm easily eating half the calories and doing far more exercise.

For instance, my typical day last month would have been to eat a bagel with minimal butter or cream cheese and a cup of coffee for breakfast. Lunch was sometimes cottage cheese and peaches but would occasionally have two Burger King burgers or pizza or a subway sandwich. Snacks here and there, usually a bag of sun chips or something. Dinner would be either a turkey burger on bun and mashed potato’s, spaghetti or something like that. Snacks throughout the night. And I also would be surrounded with tons of McDonald’s fries, Big Macs and burgers that just kids did not eat so I would eat those occasionally too. I would never go out of my way to buy them but when they are sitting there about to be thrown out, I would eat some. And by the way, most people I work with bring in leftovers every day like lasagna, fried chicken, etc. i never ate what they do for lunch. They laugh at me if I had two slices of white bread and one slice of Turkey bologna in between.

In contrast the past few weeks would be a cup of coffee with a tsp of coconut oil at 6 am. Sometimes a small orange or apple in the morning but I usually hold out until 2 pm after my hour walk during lunch. Then I would have 1/2 cup of 1% fat cottage cheese and blueberries mixed in. So, by 2 pm, I would say that I barely had 400-500 calories. Dinner now would be gnocchi with stewed tomato’s, turkey burger on bun th beans, pasta. Pretty much no snacks at all other than a cup of tea and maybe one cookie if I cant resist. By this point, I have taken a bite of a cookie or something I shouldn’t have and will run to the garbage can and spit it out because I am so conditioned to not mess up.

I would estimate that I am eating 1000-1200 calories a day now. Before, I was probably eating 2500- 3500 with all of the bagels, bread, etc that I have since cut out. Now add on to this an average of 20,000 steps a day. I never checked before but my Health app on my iPhone estimates the steps. Even if I ate the way I have been for years, I would think 20,000 steps would have to make a dent in losing weight. If not, why even bother walking that much.

So, I am not exaggerating at all. If I cannot lose weight doing what I am doing, which is a pretty drastic change from what I have been doing, then something is wrong with me. My metabolism must be minimal. I may need to see a nutritionist as someone said. But, when I get a blood test every year, all results are smack in the middle of the ranges except my triglycerides are at the high end. And that was when I was eating 3000 calories and more daily of pure carbs (bread, bagels, Italian bread, rice, potatoes), so I have had minimal effect from eating those things. Something is not right though.

Old 03-18-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
To be fair, s/he probably DID learn nutrition--from the horrendous Food Pyramid, which has been the primary driver of the obesity epidemic.

"MyPlate" isn't much better.

Carbs are NOT the best choice to eat. Fats are NOT bad for you!

Please learn about current nutrition science, and forget all that '80s garbage.
Sorry but the book I read claimed that a calorie is not a calorie. For instance, what is going to keep you at a good weight and healthy? 500 calories of sausage or 500 calories of broccoli? Fat has a lot to do with it. Fat going in will always be fat. So, there are good fats and bad fats. When I would go out with a friend and we got hot dogs, I would tirade him my hot dog for his bun. Walking out of there, he is going to gain far more weight and have more clogged arteries by sighting 36 gms of fat filled hot dogs vs my 2 gms of fat filled buns. No matter how you slice it, I am eating healthier in that scenario. It doesn’t matter what decade I read that in. How many heart attacks happened because of people loading themselves with meat fats where eating fruits was a bad thing? That is crazy to me. How is eating natural fruits and vegetables bad for you or worse than a burger? That is twisted logic.

Old 03-18-2023, 12:52 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
None of that is factoring in a balanced diet, though. Yeah, eating nothing but sausage wouldn't be healthy, but eating nothing but broccoli wouldn't be too healthy, either. Your body needs a variety of foods: protein, carbs, fats, and fiber to function properly. From what you describe, you're still eating a bunch of ultra processed foods, and you've cut your calories so drastically that your system and metabolism are rebelling against the lack of sustenance. Don't be so concerned about weight that you're introducing disordered behavior in the name of health. Eat enough of a variety of food and walk and exercise because you enjoy it, not to punish yourself.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:04 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
I think you've hit a plateau. You lost a lot of weight in the first few days.. You need to change something up to break the plateau.. For example, you could start lifting weights or doing HIIT cardio..

And I don't think 1,000 calories is nearly enough for a 5'10" man... You definitely need more calories. Your body could be going into starvation mode.

Old 03-18-2023, 03:56 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You and I wouldn't, but according to Body Mass Index (BMI) charts, the government and healthcare professionals would. In fact, anything over 167 would be considered overweight for a 5'10" man, which is ridiculous. I'm 6'4" and an athletic 235, which makes me almost obese according to the BMI chart, lol. I'm apparently supposed to weigh no more than 197. The last time I weighed less than 200, I was on chemo and looked like I had just walked out of a Nazi concentration camp.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/edu...MI/bmi_tbl.pdf
I'm surprised by that. And what's the deal with same bmi for males & females? Males have more muscle, so surely their weight should be naturally more for the same height as a female?

I'm 5 4.5" and weigh about 114. My bmi is categorized as healthy, but it's on the low end of healthy. I doubt anyone would say I'm slim or an almost unhealthy low size. The reason my weight is low is because I don't have that much muscle any more, now that I'm older. I'm the same size I was decades ago, but weigh a few pounds less. Other young women have said they're my size but they weigh as much as 10 to 20 pounds more. I suspect it's because they're young with more muscle.

In the end, we can all look in the mirror and see if we're overweight or out of shape or don't have enough muscle, etc. If blood pressure, cholesterol, and other lab work is good, too, then it's all okay.

Old 03-18-2023, 04:02 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
I tried several diets that didn't work and stumbled on one that does as outlined in The Plant Paradox that has been amazing for the last 5 years, I lost all of my excess fat and have kept it off. Basic formula is low carb, healthy fats and vegetables, and IF.

Old 03-19-2023, 07:08 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I think you've hit a plateau. You lost a lot of weight in the first few days.. You need to change something up to break the plateau.. For example, you could start lifting weights or doing HIIT cardio..

And I don't think 1,000 calories is nearly enough for a 5'10" man... You definitely need more calories. Your body could be going into starvation mode.
Typically, when you hit a plateau on a diet they tell you to add protein, like a hard boiled egg or a can of tuna.

Old 03-19-2023, 09:07 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I don’t understand the people who tell me that I am either lying or fabricating things. What do I have to gain by doing that. I am stating th facts. The past 3 weeks, I am losing nearly nothing and I wm easily eating half the calories and doing far more exercise.

For instance, my typical day last month would have been to eat a bagel with minimal butter or cream cheese and a cup of coffee for breakfast. Lunch was sometimes cottage cheese and peaches but would occasionally have two Burger King burgers or pizza or a subway sandwich. Snacks here and there, usually a bag of sun chips or something. Dinner would be either a turkey burger on bun and mashed potato’s, spaghetti or something like that. Snacks throughout the night. And I also would be surrounded with tons of McDonald’s fries, Big Macs and burgers that just kids did not eat so I would eat those occasionally too. I would never go out of my way to buy them but when they are sitting there about to be thrown out, I would eat some. And by the way, most people I work with bring in leftovers every day like lasagna, fried chicken, etc. i never ate what they do for lunch. They laugh at me if I had two slices of white bread and one slice of Turkey bologna in between.

In contrast the past few weeks would be a cup of coffee with a tsp of coconut oil at 6 am. Sometimes a small orange or apple in the morning but I usually hold out until 2 pm after my hour walk during lunch. Then I would have 1/2 cup of 1% fat cottage cheese and blueberries mixed in. So, by 2 pm, I would say that I barely had 400-500 calories. Dinner now would be gnocchi with stewed tomato’s, turkey burger on bun th beans, pasta. Pretty much no snacks at all other than a cup of tea and maybe one cookie if I cant resist. By this point, I have taken a bite of a cookie or something I shouldn’t have and will run to the garbage can and spit it out because I am so conditioned to not mess up.

I would estimate that I am eating 1000-1200 calories a day now. Before, I was probably eating 2500- 3500 with all of the bagels, bread, etc that I have since cut out. Now add on to this an average of 20,000 steps a day. I never checked before but my Health app on my iPhone estimates the steps. Even if I ate the way I have been for years, I would think 20,000 steps would have to make a dent in losing weight. If not, why even bother walking that much.

So, I am not exaggerating at all. If I cannot lose weight doing what I am doing, which is a pretty drastic change from what I have been doing, then something is wrong with me. My metabolism must be minimal. I may need to see a nutritionist as someone said. But, when I get a blood test every year, all results are smack in the middle of the ranges except my triglycerides are at the high end. And that was when I was eating 3000 calories and more daily of pure carbs (bread, bagels, Italian bread, rice, potatoes), so I have had minimal effect from eating those things. Something is not right though.
I'm a future diabetic. It runs in my family and even the skinny people get it. I can't eat all of the bread, bagels, or spaghetti that you are eating. I've cut most of that stuff out except for an occasional indulgence. It has really helped me to lose weight. Not everyone needs to be that extreme, but I think you probably need to change what you are eating. I would suggest finding something to eat for breakfast besides a bagel. My personal choice is a homemade taco (which I make ahead and freeze) which is a little bread... the tortilla, but I add turkey sausage, some scrambled egg and a spoon of shredded cheddar and maybe some hashbrowns although those are carby too. I like this because it is a predetermined size (calories) and has protein which holds me over for a while. You could add salsa or whatever, but I usually just microwave and go.

I LOVE sandwiches that are well made. I try to keep those to a minimum because bread and buns don't work as well for me. I'll eat a bunless burger or two pieces of pizza (not often) or use one piece of bread to make a half sandwich and then eat something else if I am still hungry. I'm leaning more towards veggies or protein. I get tired of salad so I find more ways to eat veggies to make them more desirable. All Recipes and Pinterest have some great recipes. Spaghetti can be made with spaghetti squash or sometimes I just saute veggies like onions, yellow and zucchini squash, carrots, etc., and add spaghetti sauce instead of the regular noodles. I grew up cooking my ground beef with some water to float the fat off when draining so the lower fat beef doesn't bother me.

I've cut portion sizes and changed my diet so that I'm still getting what I like, but making healthier substitutions where I can. We still go out and eat sometimes. I'm more aware of what I am eating and splitting a plate with someone else for unhealthy food like nachos allows me to eat what I want for one meal, but then I go back to eating better the next day. Interestingly, my weight goes up for a couple of days after I eat the more carby stuff like pizza or nachos. I think it is just water weight. I snack. I limit my portion sizes to around 100-250 calories. I can have a cookie if it fits into my calorie count or I can go take a walk and earn my cookie.

Exercise helps. I feel so much more energetic after I do my workout. Honestly, the calories burned are still much lower than what I consume.

Play around with your diet and see if you can reduce some of the less healthy things. You don't have to eliminate it entirely, but make sure that it is special when you do eat it.

Old 03-19-2023, 06:57 PM

So, today p, all I had was a bowl of bran flakes with strawberries and banana for breakfast, one piece of whole grain bread with a few slices of deli ham, and brown rice and pink beans for dinner. Walked for two hours today in one shot. My longest yet. Thank goodness it is about 30 degrees and freezing. I can walk for 6 hours in this weather. I hate walking when it’s hot out. I’m done with bagels and white anything (bread, rice, etc). Went to the store and bought apples, green grapes, broccoli, acorn squash oranges, etc.

I made food for the week. More brown rice with those beans (I don’t like Spanish type dishes but I will deal with it), chicken and broccoli and baked chicken cutlets. I am changing my eating for now to see if eating far less carbs makes a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss