Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:48 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,943 times

Advertisements

I need to lose a lot of weight. I have lost weight easily in the past but now that I have had a child at 40 and and am in my 40's I cant seem to get the motivation or willpower to lose weight. My weight has been up and down for years.

I am curious as to what others have done to lose weight and keep it off.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 11:59 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,357 times
Well, a few years ago I was 25 pounds heavier. Then I moved to SF with some roommates and began walking a lot...there was a 4.5 mile walk around a lake nearby and I would walk that a few times a week. I am a big research person so I began researching food tips and ideas. I ended starting a six-meal a day plan. I also have always been an avid water drinker so that also helped me out. By eating every few hours, your metabolism is constantly going. I've fluctuated by a few pounds since losing the weight.

Good luck on your weight loss plans.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:39 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
Weight Watchers is a great way to go. I have successfully lost weight, following their plans, and kept it off. It is less a diet, and more a way to realistically eat. I have battled with my weight since I was a teen, and it has been the easiest for me to do, and stay with, consistently.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:43 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times
There is only 2 ways to lose weight.

1. Exercise more + 2. Eat better (healthier and less) = weight loss

Everyone who has lost weight will tell you the same thing. There is no magic tricks, it is a simple formula.
If you exercise, you are burning calories. If you eat less and healthier, you are taking in less calories, by burning more and taking in less, you are creating a calorie deficit and will slowly lose weight.

By eating healthier- more fruits and veggies, and more whole grains. Best to eat 4-5 small meals as opposed to 3 large ones. Good luck, at first it takes discipline, but eventually it is a natural part of your routine like brushing your teeth.

I should mention, I have not lost weight b/c I have always been active and did not need to. However, my husband was raised eating very unhealthy, we're talking pie for dessert every night, no salads with dinner, etc. He was an overweight child and lost a bit as an adult but still overweight. He exercised 6 days a week, but his diet still held him back and he was still not in optimal shape. He learned to eat better, less of some things, more of others, and lost 25 lbs through nutrition alone. He still works out just like he always did, but bettering his nutrition habits is what did it for him, so its important to really focus on both.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:59 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,993 times
So far I've lost 30 lbs(baby weight) on Weight Watchers core program (no counting points). I joined online and its really easy.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:01 PM

307 posts, read 2,507,772 times
I lose weight by eating what I feel like. But I balance it. I try to eat healthy as good as I can. But I don't stop myself from feeding my cravings.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:30 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
After some contemplation and second-guessing: This thread has been moved to the Exercise and Fitness forum.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:39 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,032 times
A very good friend of mine was a self-described "life long fatty jogging to ever greater weight". She got her diet in check, hit the weights in the gym, and today looks like a million bucks. She has a blog where she details her success and what it has taken her. There is no subscription and she's wonderful. You're more than welcome to check it out. Got Built?

Old 04-15-2008, 05:52 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
There is only 2 ways to lose weight.

1. Exercise more + 2. Eat better (healthier and less) = weight loss

Everyone who has lost weight will tell you the same thing. There is no magic tricks, it is a simple formula.
If you exercise, you are burning calories. If you eat less and healthier, you are taking in less calories, by burning more and taking in less, you are creating a calorie deficit and will slowly lose weight.

By eating healthier- more fruits and veggies, and more whole grains. Best to eat 4-5 small meals as opposed to 3 large ones. Good luck, at first it takes discipline, but eventually it is a natural part of your routine like brushing your teeth.

I should mention, I have not lost weight b/c I have always been active and did not need to. However, my husband was raised eating very unhealthy, we're talking pie for dessert every night, no salads with dinner, etc. He was an overweight child and lost a bit as an adult but still overweight. He exercised 6 days a week, but his diet still held him back and he was still not in optimal shape. He learned to eat better, less of some things, more of others, and lost 25 lbs through nutrition alone. He still works out just like he always did, but bettering his nutrition habits is what did it for him, so its important to really focus on both.
Once again another great post by Faina00. Exercise and proper diet really is the best way to lose weight.

My wife ballooned to 175lbs just before she gave birth in late March. With her strict nutritional plan she's back down to 142 today. I always tell people that the most important part of losing weight is having a really good nutritional plan along with lifting weights and doing cardio.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:54 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,201 times
There are 4 things that have helped me: The Blood Type Diet, The Zone, exercise, and hormonal help. Actually the birth control pilled has preserved my waist and ruined my thighs, I was thinner before going on it. If you are over 40 you may need to go on biodentical hormones in adjunct to following a strict diet along with exercise if you really want to be thin.

I'm a blood type O and I believe the blood type theory is 100% true. Blood type Os are the ones the Zone really works for. If you are another blood type you might have to become a vegetarian and then the Zone won't be as applicable. You won't need to include protein at every meal. But to be on the safe side I think equal amounts of protein and carbs at meals with much fewer carbs overall is a safe plan for all blood types.

If you are a blood type O you will need to committ to several months with no dairy and have wheat based carbs less than once a week. I've let dairy back in to my diet lately and have really been regretting it.

Exercise will only help you to the extent that you follow a certain diet plan. Neither will work that well for you if your hormones are out out whack.

If the whole biodentical hormones thing sounds strange to you check out a couple of the books Suzanne Sommers wrote:

Amazon.com: Ageless: The Naked Truth About Bioidentical Hormones: Suzanne Somers: Books

I'm not on them yet but will be eventually.

HER Place Women's Health - Individualized Hormone Replacement Therapy
The Blood Type Diet :: Peter D'Adamo
Zone Diet - Welcome to life in the Zone > Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I need to lose a lot of weight. I have lost weight easily in the past but now that I have had a child at 40 and and am in my 40's I cant seem to get the motivation or willpower to lose weight. My weight has been up and down for years.

I am curious as to what others have done to lose weight and keep it off.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss