Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:48 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieGermany View Post
There is a lot of crime, mostly done by foreigners from the arabian or russian speaking countries.
lol, same song and dance everywhere. It's the foreigners doing it!

I think Germany is what? 80%+ ethnic German? Maybe 70% at the very SMALLEST. Yes, some foreigners like the turks sell drugs, run the prostitutes in Germany but the large bulk of the crime is committed by bored unemployed German youths. Especially in cities like Berlin. As you go to Frankfurt, it becomes more immigrant, I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 05:12 AM

520 posts, read 1,514,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
lol, same song and dance everywhere. It's the foreigners doing it!

I think Germany is what? 80%+ ethnic German? Maybe 70% at the very SMALLEST. Yes, some foreigners like the turks sell drugs, run the prostitutes in Germany but the large bulk of the crime is committed by bored unemployed German youths. Especially in cities like Berlin. As you go to Frankfurt, it becomes more immigrant, I agree.
You don't have any idea about it. It is mostly Arabs, Turks, Russians, Albanians and West Africans who comitt violent crime in West-Berlin. Former East Berlin is a different thing. For instance, Arabs make up 3% of the population but are responsible for 50% of the violent crime....

Old 06-04-2013, 09:28 PM

10 posts, read 18,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
You're missing the point.

They're not just "numbers on paper" These are people who were violently killed. These are numbers the Detroit Police Department tally up and submit to the FBI for statistical data.

The numbers matter because if Detroit wants to remain relevant, it needs to get its house in order. When you have a per-capita crime rate of 40 per 100,000 in a city of only 700,000 while Chicago has a per-capita crime rate of only ~20 with 2.6 million people, do you not see anything wrong with twice as many people being violently killed in Detroit despite being only 1/4 the size of Chicago?
i have to agree with you. The numbers do matter. and not only is it very high numbers for murders but other types of crimes. I am relatively new to the area and keep trying to convince myself its gettting better crime wise or economically but im not sure thats true?? i considered buying a cheap house and then i just cannot do it because i have a young child and cant imagine him growing up around a area where half of it is falling apart. ive mainly been around the southwest area' mostly latino. so im told this is not the worst area' but it seems pretty bad to me. i grew up in some bad area's of NY but i also lived in some pretty good area's that i honestly couldnt afford. i just want to say that the numbers do matter because when i try to fool myself and pretend its not that bad' the numbers remind me that Statistically it is worst than i want to admit. Honestly im trying to figure out where the "good area's" are? is there a Dearborn type area of detroit?? maybe a step down but a safe inexpensive area to live?

Old 06-05-2013, 07:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
The "Good" areas of Detroit are in pockets. Mid-town and downtown are fairly nice. Mid town has a concentration of people and that allows the police to concentrate resources, plus they have the WSU police and DMC security to help them out. Downtown is not all that concentrated population wise, ut the area gets a lot of attention because it is the lifeblood of the city. The other areas that are "nice" are mostly specific neighborhoods that have their own security. There are several lists of these areas on different threads, but to give you some examples:
University Neighborhood
Indian Village
Palmer Park/Woods (I always mix them up one nice one not so much).
North Rosedale Park

The Mexican Village area (which is where I think you live now) is not a really bad area, but it is rough.

Of this list, I think North Rosedale Park is probably the most inexpensive. It is very much an oaisis. It is surrounded by yuck. Stay int he neighborhood and it is reasonably safe. They do not even have bars on the windows of the houses.

Personally I would not live anywhere in Detroit with kids. The schools are mostly awful although there are some options for good schools, however there is no place for kids to hang out, ride bikes, explore, play, etc.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,536 times
East 8 mile road is actually very dangerous intersections of dequinder,Ryan,vandyke,mound,gratiot are pretty rough,shoeneer .there are plenty of gangs,dealers ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit