Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2023, 11:43 AM

127 posts, read 70,272 times

Advertisements

I'm a mixed race college student, and I was raised in Denver and later in North Texas. Both these places are diverse and integrated, and I had positive experiences there. I was almost raised in Oakland County (we were thinking about Rochester Hills) when my dad (a black man) got a job offer there when I was little. This makes me wonder how we might have been received as a family in this area. I know Detroit has had troubled race relations in the past, but what has it been like over the last 15 years specifically? My parents are from Memphis and we view that as the worst example of bad race relations, so how does it compare to a place like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 01:25 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
It all depends on your experiences and who you encounter. You could grow up in Rochester Hills believing racism is not an issue at all, or you could come away thinking it is Alabama in the 1950s. There are racists, even extreme racists pretty much everywhere in every population. If you encounter them, you will generalize that the entire place is extremely racist. If you never encounter any of them, you will think it is not racist at all. Some suburbs have a reputation for a history of racism but in most cases it is Bullpucky. For example the town of Howell has been decried as a racist haven because in the 1980s a flamboyant KKK leader had a farm in Choctaw - a township near Howell. The guy has been dead for 20 years or more and Howell itself is not and never was particularly racist, but the water cooler widsom had dammed Howell for all eterinty. It will likely never shake that reputation, despite the fact that it is all abused on the presence of one farm in a neighboring town that housed a racist at some time int he past. .

However Rochester Hills never suffered from any such reputation. It has a well educated and wealthy population. While there are undoubtedly some racists there as there ae everywhere,there is no reason to generalize about the area one way or the other. You can find someone who encountered the wrong groups of people there and has decided to lable the whole place racist base on their anecdotal experience, just as you will find soem people who will assert it has zero racism. The fact is, it is a place. LIke every place, it has some racists and it has some anti-racists and some people in the middle.

Old 08-16-2023, 09:36 PM

4,414 posts, read 5,147,018 times
Only been once and it seemed about average in that regard. You could feel the tension though.

Old 08-21-2023, 01:54 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,862,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Only been once and it seemed about average in that regard. You could feel the tension though.

What suburb were you in at that time?

Old 08-27-2023, 07:18 PM

171 posts, read 446,440 times
Rochester Hills is high on the "list" of places to live for middle to upper middle class black families. Especially when relocated to the area for auto related jobs. I know a few and they have not had any problems.

Old 08-29-2023, 03:36 PM

22 posts, read 21,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odieluck View Post
I'm a mixed race college student, and I was raised in Denver and later in North Texas. Both these places are diverse and integrated, and I had positive experiences there. I was almost raised in Oakland County (we were thinking about Rochester Hills) when my dad (a black man) got a job offer there when I was little. This makes me wonder how we might have been received as a family in this area. I know Detroit has had troubled race relations in the past, but what has it been like over the last 15 years specifically? My parents are from Memphis and we view that as the worst example of bad race relations, so how does it compare to a place like that?

Are you kidding, you'll be fine. In terms of area, I rather live in Troy or birmingham, or even royal oak. I think you and your family will like it more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit