Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2022, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,043 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I’m originally from Windsor, worked in metro Detroit for 15 years before moving to NJ for last 8. I’m dragging my husband back “home” to be closer to family (all still in Canada)
So I am semi familiar with area, mostly east side as I worked in Warren.
We are looking to buy, it’s just us, no kids, 2 doggies. Hoping for single story detached garage,safe walkable area, doesn’t have to be fancy, but I do love a tree lined mature street. Less than 250k, not too far from border… maybe close to some dog parks or beaches that allow dogs?
We don’t give a hoot about school districts or night life.

Any info you can throw my way is appreciated just so we can narrow our focus

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2022, 03:42 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,412,065 times
If your job in Warren is west of Van Dyke Avenue, then northwest side of Warren, or somewhere along the east side of the Woodward corridor. Royal Oak, Madison Heights, Ferndale, Hazel Park, Clawson. I've heard that Warren south of the I-696 freeway gets rough, you might not feel safe walking the sidewalks at night.

For your requirements, these communities have post WW2 construction (2-3 BR, 1-2 BA, usually a detached garage), tree-lined streets with side walks, and several dog parks in the area. I don't know of any beaches in the Metro area that allow dogs (but others might).

This area is near Warren for commuting. It's also near I-75, which gets you to either the Ambassador Bridge or the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel at the US-Canadian border. From this general area, travel time down I-75 to the border is 10 or 15 minutes on a good day without rush hour.

The downside is that school systems can be lesser grade. Additionally, post war construction can vary, and it tends to run small, averaging less than 1000 square feet. Also, Royal Oak, Ferndale, and Clawson have entertainment districts (bars and restaurants) which you might not want to live next to. And you might not like living too close to the freeways or the rail roads.

If your job is east of Van Dyke Avenue, then it would probably be better to scope out Roseville or St Claire Shores. But I don't know that area well, someone else will need to fill you in.

Old 12-19-2022, 08:49 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,412,065 times
Ah, I see that you worked in Warren, not that you currently work in Warren.

I still think that the Woodward Corridor works well for you.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:19 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,941,577 times
Echo some of the other places mentioned -

St. Clair Shores, North Warren

Ferndale, Madison Heights, Berkley, Clawson.

Old 12-20-2022, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,043 times
Thank you to you both. Some very good info! Yes worked at St. John macomb in Warren in the past. Not currently. Think we will try to see about Grosse pointe/ st Clair shores area and go from there!

Old 12-22-2022, 12:03 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,160,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reymeeroman View Post
Thank you to you both. Some very good info! Yes worked at St. John macomb in Warren in the past. Not currently. Think we will try to see about Grosse pointe/ st Clair shores area and go from there!
Grosse Pointe Woods has some single-story houses and the community has a lakeside park in St. Clair Shores. St. Clair Shores is also affordable, next to the lake, and maybe 20-25 minutes to the Tunnel to Windsor.

Some of these other communities mentioned, such as along Woodward Corridor, are not going to have too many houses under $250K.

Western/downriver suburb communities that are affordable and safe maybe 20-25 minutes from the bridge/tunnel include Allen Park (downriver) and Livonia/Westland (Western Wayne County). Livonia and Westland are near to Hines Drive Park and Holliday Nature Preserve for dog park opportunities

Old 12-24-2022, 01:58 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
In your shoes, I would choose Wyandotte. The homes are more affordable because the schools are not awesome and Wyandotte is less well known among the trendsetter types. Wyandotte has a spunky downtown that is fun to walk about and visit. Lots of nice restaurants, taverns and shops. There is a waterfront park and many waterfront homes. Also lots of charming older homes that are not giant. They have a really great little library houses in an old mansion. There is also a major hospital in Wyandotte. The city also owns its own electric plant so you are not tied to DTE/the grid. You have great access to downtown Detroit and especially to the new Gordie Howe bridge once it is complete. You do not have the nasty traffic of the northern/western suburbs, but between Wyandotte and Woodhaven you have pretty much anything you are likely to want available to you except a fancy shopping mall and newer McMansion subdivisions. Downsides are BASF Chemical is based there if chemical makers scare you. also if you hate water, Wyandotte is on the river. If you can find a place to park, you can come over to Grosse ile and walk your dog on the trails (strictly on leash and very strict about picking up poop). Not sure what the smaller waterfront homes in Wyandotte go for now, probably more than $250K. Our dog swims in the river in front of our house.

You could look at Trenton too. Trenton is smaller and quieter. There is not much in the little downtown. It has a very nice county park on one side of town. Quite a few nice smaller homes on tree lined streets. Trenton has better schools, so you are paying for something you do not need. the downtown is far less interesting than Wyandotte.

After Wyandotte, I would consider Downtown Detroit (condo, doable, but hard to find at that price), Grosse Pointe (probably too expensive). Farmington (city, not hills) may gave some appeal. You may find some post war houses in downtown Plymouth that you can afford (maybe) Ferndale is transforming into a nice small city, but it is generally younger. Kind of far out and not that great access, Milford is a great little town and sits right in the midst of Kensington metropark - the king of the metropark system. There is nothing quite like Kensington.

i only know of one off leash dog beach in this side of the state and it is awful. i cannot remember the name of it. it is on a small disgusting little lake that I woudl not want my dog swimming in. There are some parks along the Huron river where you can get away with letting your dog run and swim if it is not busy and you get away from the main areas. (Willow/Lower Huron metro-parks) We usually let our dog drag a leash so we can just say it yanked out of our hand if we get approached by a park ranger but that has never happened. You will get cited for not cleaning up their poop if you are seen however. People will report you for that. they seem to leave you alone if your dog is running free but not bothering anyone. There are many small off leash dog parks that are not beaches (most towns have one) and some really nice on leash beach areas that allow dogs (Erie metro-park is one). The best off leash dog beach is Kirk park over on the other side of the state (near south haven) it is a four hour drive, but actually worth it IMO. We found it when our son was at Grand Valley, but still take the dog out there for day trip/picnic every now and again.

Grosse Ile is really nice and has lots and lots of amenties, but I am not sure there is anything here for $250K. If there is, it will be small and probably a bit run down, definitely not not on the water. Taxes are comparatively high here too. For younger families and seniors with some money, it is hard to find better place anywhere. It is not cheap..It is peacefull/natural rather than lively. that translates to boring in the eyes of the 20 - 30 somethings. they are usually desperate to get out of here. they try to come back once they have kids though. Downsides are water, fish wildlife, trees, and quiet. You can wave at Canada though.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 12-24-2022 at 02:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit