Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 07:32 PM

68 posts, read 57,895 times

Advertisements

When I grew up in "the city of friendly people" (Muskegon Heights lololol) I wondered how those on the east side of the state perceived us. Primarily Detroit. Is it perceived as fly over country lol ? Did Grand Rapids surprise them with their existence after 2010 ? Maybe the only time you knew of us is when our high school teams left with trophies and brought them back to Muskegon and Kzoo. I dont know if Grand Rapids and Battle Creek teams were as consistently successfully though. Throughout the years what was your observation ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 08:21 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
I spend a lot of time in South Haven, and I live in the Detroit area. I view west Michigan very favorably.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:39 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,015 times
Growing up in the 80s and 90's we didn't spend a lot of time over in Western Michigan. We always went Up North.
Then at least for me, western Michigan was like the area you had to drive through along I-94 to get to Chicago and it was long boring drive. In high school we used to compete against teams from the west side of the state. We knew all the powerhouse schools like Rockford, Forest Hills, East Grand Rapids, and they alway seemed to have the state track meets at those venues. They had really nice campuses then.

Then, in college is when we started really going over to that side of the state. We would go the beaches, go camping and had a good time in the summer. Well, I should say we started going over to the Pinery and Grand Bend in Ontario when we were 19 since we could drink and hit up the bars, but we would also do camping trips over to western Michigan with our college friends. That continued too since after college many of our friends moved to Chicago so it was good meet-up area for us all.

This was in the era early to mid-2000s before Grand Rapids had is renaissance and all the beer/brewery scene popped up GR, Holland, etc. Really in the past 10 years it seems like western Michigan has becoming increasingly more popular, the beach towns of exploded in popularity, and there is a growing arts/foodie/entrepreneurial scene.

In recent years, we have found ourselves spending more time over on that side of the state since its a lot shorter drive than going all the way up north, we can easily do a one-night trip from were are are at in Oakland County.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
Growing up in the 80s and 90's we didn't spend a lot of time over in Western Michigan. We always went Up North.
Then at least for me, western Michigan was like the area you had to drive through along I-94 to get to Chicago and it was long boring drive. In high school we used to compete against teams from the west side of the state. We knew all the powerhouse schools like Rockford, Forest Hills, East Grand Rapids, and they alway seemed to have the state track meets at those venues. They had really nice campuses then.

Then, in college is when we started really going over to that side of the state. We would go the beaches, go camping and had a good time in the summer. Well, I should say we started going over to the Pinery and Grand Bend in Ontario when we were 19 since we could drink and hit up the bars, but we would also do camping trips over to western Michigan with our college friends. That continued too since after college many of our friends moved to Chicago so it was good meet-up area for us all.

This was in the era early to mid-2000s before Grand Rapids had is renaissance and all the beer/brewery scene popped up GR, Holland, etc. Really in the past 10 years it seems like western Michigan has becoming increasingly more popular, the beach towns of exploded in popularity, and there is a growing arts/foodie/entrepreneurial scene.

In recent years, we have found ourselves spending more time over on that side of the state since its a lot shorter drive than going all the way up north, we can easily do a one-night trip from were are are at in Oakland County.
Thanks, I appreciated your response. Nice to have I-96 to now huh lol

Old 06-11-2020, 12:02 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
In high school we used to compete against teams from the west side of the state. We knew all the powerhouse schools like Rockford, Forest Hills, East Grand Rapids, and they alway seemed to have the state track meets at those venues. They had really nice campuses then.
One of the years in the 90s, the state meet for cross country was at a country club in Grand Rapids. It was a blizzard!

Old 06-11-2020, 12:22 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
One of my kids and another dozen or so of their friends or kids of our friends went to GVSU. This really opened our eyes to western Michigan. We started going out there at least twice a month. Sometimes we would just drop something off and then go explore. We love the area and see it as a much better part of Michigan than metro Detroit.

Prior to that. we knew about and visited Grand Rapids (the firm I was with had an office there and we also attended Art Prize a few times), and South Haven and grand Haven and Ludington. Maybe a pass through Saugatuck and Holland. We visited TC and Sliver Lake Dunes several times, but I see that as more up north than western Michigan. We had heard it was mostly extremely conservative and provincial Dutch ("If oyu Aint Dutch, you Aint Much).

How do I view Western Michigan now?

Beautiful with some of the best beaches I have seen anywhere in the world. Tons of wonderful small towns to explore and get to know. Quiet, slower, more bucolic in many areas. More rational people. Interesting people. Not overtly friendly, but not nasty either, you just have to draw them out from their walls. Lots of Blueberries (yum). It is a place I would prefer to live if that was practical for me.

There are certain areas and certain times of year when I try to avoid what I call the Chicago Invasion (hordes of rude, entitled, City people who think they own the place (and probably do)). In part, you can identify the beaches they frequent by the amount of litter present. But that is concentrated in certain places and pretty easily avoided.

Muskegon Heights specifically? I had never heard of it until this thread. I do not know a lot about Muskegon at all. I have visited a friend who lives just north of there and we ended a canoe trip in Muskegon once, but I do not remember anything particularly striking about the city. It is pretty. People were like people anywhere else as best as I can recall. Muskeogon might be worth spending a day or two exploring next time we go "out west" for a weekend.

Old 06-11-2020, 12:45 PM

Yeah it always felt like South Haven and south was all just Chicago invasion. More Illinois license plates in those towns in the summer than Michigan.

Holland and Grand Haven felt like more an extension of Grand Rapids and where everyone from GR went to the beach for the day.

Muskegon-proper never spent much time in, but went to the State Park often.

North of Muskegon felt about where it transitioned from Western Michigan to Up North.

Old 06-11-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
One of my kids and another dozen or so of their friends or kids of our friends went to GVSU. This really opened our eyes to western Michigan. We started going out there at least twice a month. Sometimes we would just drop something off and then go explore. We love the area and see it as a much better part of Michigan than metro Detroit.

Prior to that. we knew about and visited Grand Rapids (the firm I was with had an office there and we also attended Art Prize a few times), and South Haven and grand Haven and Ludington. Maybe a pass through Saugatuck and Holland. We visited TC and Sliver Lake Dunes several times, but I see that as more up north than western Michigan. We had heard it was mostly extremely conservative and provincial Dutch ("If oyu Aint Dutch, you Aint Much).

How do I view Western Michigan now?

Beautiful with some of the best beaches I have seen anywhere in the world. Tons of wonderful small towns to explore and get to know. Quiet, slower, more bucolic in many areas. More rational people. Interesting people. Not overtly friendly, but not nasty either, you just have to draw them out from their walls. Lots of Blueberries (yum). It is a place I would prefer to live if that was practical for me.

There are certain areas and certain times of year when I try to avoid what I call the Chicago Invasion (hordes of rude, entitled, City people who think they own the place (and probably do)). In part, you can identify the beaches they frequent by the amount of litter present. But that is concentrated in certain places and pretty easily avoided.

Muskegon Heights specifically? I had never heard of it until this thread. I do not know a lot about Muskegon at all. I have visited a friend who lives just north of there and we ended a canoe trip in Muskegon once, but I do not remember anything particularly striking about the city. It is pretty. People were like people anywhere else as best as I can recall. Muskeogon might be worth spending a day or two exploring next time we go "out west" for a weekend.
The Chicago invasion hit West MI in more ways than I would like to speak about. They might own more condos than than we do. If they don't own the place you'd think they were slowly trying.The other post was not lying about seeing the abundant Illinois license plates.
When you visit Muskegon I think your going to find it very interesting. Aside from visiting whats left of our beach lol it wouldn't be a bad idea to visit the area inside Seaway Drive, Norton Ave, Getty Street, Marquette Ave. As well as our very much improved Downtwon and if you know good food please stop by MR. SCRIBS PIZZA and or Station Grill. To me the Roosevelt Park area on a good day could pass for Wyandotte. Were also known for our Football program...Muskegon treats it like Ann Arbor does Michigan. Lol I always wanted West MI to have more in common with the east side of the state rather than Chicagoland. I appreciate your candend recollection.

Old 06-11-2020, 01:36 PM

Whats been nice that my wife and I found is that we can easily to a 1-night weekend beach trip to the west side of the state on those hot summer weekends without the commitment of jumping in the car on a Friday to head all the way up north..
Sometimes we have other commitments or want to relax at home Friday evening or have something to do Saturday morning.

We can get in the car midday Saturday, get to the beach in the early/mid afternoon. Grab a hotel room somewhere for the night, then go get beer/dinner/drinks for a night out. Then get up enjoy Sunday morning in any of the beach towns, hit up the beach in the afternoon, and be back home Sunday by 6-7pm in time to put something on the grill and enjoy the evening.

I will say that stretch of I-96 between Grand Rapids and Lansing has some of the most insane speeding and tailgating I've ever seen anywhere. Didn't use to be like that but you literally get run off the road at 75 mph.

Old 06-11-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Whats been nice that my wife and I found is that we can easily to a 1-night weekend beach trip to the west side of the state on those hot summer weekends without the commitment of jumping in the car on a Friday to head all the way up north..
Sometimes we have other commitments or want to relax at home Friday evening or have something to do Saturday morning.

We can get in the car midday Saturday, get to the beach in the early/mid afternoon. Grab a hotel room somewhere for the night, then go get beer/dinner/drinks for a night out. Then get up enjoy Sunday morning in any of the beach towns, hit up the beach in the afternoon, and be back home Sunday by 6-7pm in time to put something on the grill and enjoy the evening.

I will say that stretch of I-96 between Grand Rapids and Lansing has some of the most insane speeding and tailgating I've ever seen anywhere. Didn't use to be like that but you literally get run off the road at 75 mph.
Unfortunately Yes they like to move quite a bit more quicker in that area. I seen the most bizarre accident headed to Lansing. I think a sedan headed on the opposite way crossed the median strip...i don't think it turned out well for them. Maybe its because of all the speedway gas stations over there. Lol
May the Stale Joke live on lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit