Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2019, 07:53 PM

6,406 posts, read 8,997,048 times

Advertisements

I have a list. It's quite small with only two entries. The list is of places I regret not visiting. Places that I cannot visit because they no longer exist. One of those places is CBGB's (the shell of which, a John Varvatos store, I did enter) in NYC. The other is the Lindell AC. Some say the Lindell was the first sports bar. It's a legendary place in Detroit. The site of a professional wrestling angle in which Dick the Bruiser is alleged to have wrecked the joint to antagonize Alex Karras and where Billy Martin punched out his own player when he was in town while managing the Twins.

It's said that the Lindell was a great place for the blue collar sports fans to mingle with famous athletes. Curious if anyone on C-D was a regular or even casual patron. Have any stories or memories of the place?

There is currently an exhibit on the Lindell at the Detroit Historical Society that runs until 01/05/2020 that I am hoping to check out in December.

https://detroithistorical.org/detroi...rst-sports-bar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 09:08 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,945,237 times
Far too young to have visited the Lindell AC in its hey-day.

I was there with my dad a few times in the late-90s/early 2000s right before it closed.
We would go there before going over to the Auto Show or a Wings game.
I remember going in there with a few buddies on a Opening Day right after we all turned 21.

It was divey, the memorabilia was awesome, the burgers were good, and you could just tell the place had history.

I wish it was still there.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:55 AM

6,406 posts, read 8,997,048 times
Drove by the site where the Lindell stood last night. It was on the way from John K. King Books to the Sproat Street garage for LCA. I wonder what happened to the memorabilia. Must remain with the Butsicaris family. Did not have an opportunity for the exhibit at DHS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit