Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2019, 03:38 PM

347 posts, read 380,736 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Currently in final rounds of negotiating a new job role with GM ( tech sector ) so I'll be posted up at the Warren facility. Wife and I are also expecting our first in March.

Was wanting to further inquire from others are which areas are not within an unreasonable commute time ( say, no more than 30 minutes ), with young family neighborhoods/good schools. Housing budget is we can afford anything up to $700k ( both engineers and will be selling a high rise condo down here to act as a down payment ).

Any advice or perspective is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 11:50 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,869,436 times
Troy, Birmingham, or perhaps the Grosse Points might be good for you. $700K goes a long way here. Best wishes and hope all goes well with negotiations!

Old 09-28-2019, 06:25 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,945,555 times
$700k will get you pretty much anywhere and a whole lot of house in Metro Detroit. Nothig is really off limits in that price range and you can probably find something really nice for well under that price.

The usual factors will come into play into deciding which areas make the most sense.
Obviously you mention within 30 minutes / reasonable commute.
However you will have to decide if you want newer build/new construction vs. older, established areas.
What ammenities you desire in close proximity.

Places that should look at include:
Troy - stereotypical car-centric suburbia, with really good schools, excellent city services and wide array of housing stock
Birmingham - generally upper class, with a higher-end entertainment/commerical district downtown. excellent schools, expensive housing market, more traditional walk-able street grid. Mix of older (and well maintained homes) and tear-down new builds
Bloomfield Twp - a more sprawly and quieter version that heavily aligns with Birmingham, bigger lots in general
Shelby Twp. - lots of pockets of new build construction in the past 20 years, anywhere from $300-$600+ depending on the neighborhood. Generally car-centric and sprawling, but lots of kids and families
Macomb - similar to Shelby
Washington Twp. - similar to Shelby and Macomb, although a bit more recent development, a bit farther out from Warren
Grosse Pointe - the other direction than everywhere else, but an identify of itself, on the waterfront. Generally older, well maintained housing stock
Royal Oak
Huntington Woods
Pleasant Ridge

Old 09-30-2019, 01:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,880,612 times
You are going to laugh when you see what $700K will buy here.

A client once game me advice - do not get a big house. Your family disappears into their personal areas and you lose a lot of the closeness you have in a smaller house. I should have listened. We did not get a huge house, but big and I definitely saw what he was talking about. My advice form experience doing it wrong - get a really nice small house and put the rest of the money away for travel, entertainment, college, and retirement. I would suggest you get a $300 K house and put $100 K into each of the four categories. Your life and your family's lives will be better for it. Of course you will nto listen, I do didn't. Nobody does. We all just look back and say we should have done that. Should have listened.

Another thing to consider. The housing market is at or just over a peak. It may be prudent to rent for a few years and see if prices fall. that is another ting I did not do and should have. We moved here at the end of 2005 and "bought" our house in 2006-2007. Could not have times it worse.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:01 AM

214 posts, read 286,929 times
Coldjensens is right on with his $$$ plan! (Well, even if you put 50k into each of those categories....better than most by far!)

In the Tech Center area a lot of people commute from Troy and Rochester areas. Rochester is beautiful with a great downtown and both offer top flight schools. Your commute from Rochester will be a bit longer, however.

Closer to your work, consider some of the nicer areas in Utica Schools attendance area. (It's huge - 2nd largest district in MI, and offers a lot to kids). You may get more bang for your buck in a house in Macomb County - areas would include Shelby Township and even out toward Washington Twp. No real downtowns there, but close to trails and apple orchards and all the main amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit