Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 09:15 AM

509 posts, read 433,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
People who can see marvel at the City.

One suggestion, figure out where you want to go and what you want to do before you come. Also pick up a copy of Metro times ignore the trash but there is a lot of information about what is going on where. Detroit is not the best place to just walk around and stumble into cool things - you can do that to some extent but it usually will not work out very well. There are tons of awesome things to see and do, but you have to know where to go. They do not jump out at you like some other cities.
Great advice, thank you! I 100% do this before every trip. Lots of planning goes into finding great local restaurants, shops, bars, and breweries before every trip from articles and websites that have an emphasis on great local places.

I usually check out Reddit (a great source of getting feedback on local places off the beaten path), Thrillist, the Culture Trip, City Data, books like Detroit: The Dream is Now, and yes even Google place searches. Once I have all this compiled I create a map which I post to Reddit for review to either add or remove places (like this one for a recent trip to Cincinnati https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ao...SJ&usp=sharing). That way I have an interactive map of recommended local places that I can check out whenever I am in a given area.

I also make note of transit lines and get around as much as possible without a car when I go to places like Cleveland and Cincinnati choosing instead to use streetcars/light rail, bus, bike share, e-scooters, and of course by foot as much as possible. Last time I was in Cincy I took the bus up to The University of Cincinnati from OTR to check out an FC soccer game so I have no issue getting around by bus wherever I go.

When it gets close to time for my trip I will definitely be reaching out to the City Data Detroit forum for input. Most likely we will be staying at either Hostel Detroit or Trumbull and Porter and will definitely look for stuff to do in that area (already made note of Batch Brewing, Johnny Noodle King, UFO Factory, Nancy Whiskey Pub, Tamaleria Nuevo Leon, Detroit Institute of bagels, King Bookstore, Jolly Pumpkin Pizzeria and Brewery, Bronx Bar, and Motor City Brewing Works)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 05:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
. Will you get the same amenities as other larger cities in America or the suburbs? No, .
That really depends on what kind of amenities you are looking for. Shopping - no. Theater, concerts and performing art? Detroit has more theater seats than most large cities.

However what you do nto get are the mobs, long lines and hordes of pushy people.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:30 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
I have not been to Detroit in at least 10 years. Having said that I will say that even then it was clear that the downtown was being restored. I have no doubt that much of it is quite nice now. Still the rest of the city is likely still the dangerous ghetto it was then. It also still likely has large swaths of areas of abandonment that it had then. As someone who has not lived in Michigan for a long time I can say that the rest of America still sees Detroit exactly the way they have for years.

Given all the improvements to the downtown why not take the next step to rebuild the city? Consolidation of the city and most of its suburbs could solve many of the problems. Metro Detroit has a population of 4.2 million people, that is where all of Detroit’s ex residents are. Those suburbs ARE Detroit even if their residents don’t believe they are. Outside of Michigan we would consider a resident of Northville Michigan to be from Detroit for example. In fact here in Tennessee many suburban type areas are indeed consolidated into the larger cities. This is true throughout the south. What benefits does this provide? Cheaper public services, a larger tax base and a more diverse block of voting citizens. Detroit government is selected by people who largely are poor, uneducated and unprepared to run a city. The rich and successful parts of the area have separated themselves and left this urban core to die. This is insanity. That dead core now defines the entire region. Consolidation would allow the decay to be torn down and broken infrastructure fixed. Schools could be fixed and law and order restored. A rehab of Detroit would not happen overnight but given time the problem would steadily improve. Safe streets and clean safe schools would go a long way to eliminating the ghetto culture that dominates Detroit today. Eventually as it improved Detroit’s old classic architecture would attract people. There are some really beautiful homes and buildings there that many cities don’t have. The early 20th century architecture could become a trademark of Detroit.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:01 AM

403 posts, read 930,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcook1 View Post
I for one cannot wait to visit Detroit! I'm planning a visit there next year with a friend and then taking the Wolverine out to Kalamazoo to visit another friend who just moved there for grad school. I've never been to Detroit (or Michigan), but its without a doubt the number one city in the US I want to see right now.

I follow Curbed Detroit daily and recently got the book Detroit: The Dream is Now (which is great btw). This kind of city really appeals to me and it's pretty exciting to see the new developments in Corktown, Brush Park, and all the new public places like Robert C Valade Park and Beacon Park. I'm on the placemaking committee for my city and we look at Detroit examples of great public places to implement in my little city often.

I am actually going to Germany this year to see family and I'm kind of more excited to see Detroit haha! People here in this part of Virginia think I'm weird going to places like Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and next up Detroit for vacation, but I think these cities are great places to visit and experience.

Cheers from Virginia!
I tend to agree with you. As far as the USA must-see cities, everyone knows about NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, SF. Those are known entities. So even when they're doing cool things, which they all continue to in many ways---we've seen that before. Now throw in a resurgent Detroit, which not only hasn't been on people's 'it' list, but has been openly maligned for so long after decades of neglect---well now THAT is exciting. To me at least.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 3,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I notice that PBS has a new "travelogue" type series. Tonight's episode is titled "America's Comeback City", and it's about Detroit.
There seems to be a movement over the last few years to label it that. But does that reflect reality? Is it just pretending that things are getting better, when they aren't? I don't think that's helpful, if that's happening.

(For example, the population loss since 2010 has been from 714,000 to 672,000. How is that a "comeback"??)

Not trying to start an argument!
This is undoubtedly a large loss in population. I would even say that it is a critically large loss. Nevertheless, during this time a lot of things have changed for the better:думать:

Old 12-27-2019, 09:27 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,162,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
I do agree that not everyone is meant for programming or tech or finance or other paper shuffling jobs. But just like manufactures required mom and pop restaurants to support lunch breaks and diners for the working class, so too there is opportunity in supporting the new yuppie class with over priced bars and foo foo food. You and I may not like that, but future wealth has always belonged to those who see where the demand for things are going and meet those demands. There is opportunity to support this new yuppie class in Detroit, and I would love it if Detroit residence seized these opportunities rather than outsiders moving in.
This is an excellent idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
Things are the way they are. We need to push for bringing back industrial production "re-shoring" I guess is what it is called, but until that happens, if it ever does, you have to look at the economy how it is. There are opportunities for wealth generation, and I hope locals seize that. Rather than staring back at the past you have to embrace the suck of the what is and the near future. Pragmatism is where Detroit's future resides. It will be different. America is different. Better or worse is a foot note for those who are dealing with reality. You are given a game board and a deck of cards, you have to use what you are given to make things happen. Looking back to past games or different games too much will stop you from making the best plays in the game you find yourself in now, if using a bad analogy makes sense.
Very salient points. There are still opportunities to attract manufacturing back to the city, but overall, we cannot go back to the days of Detroit being an industrial powerhouse like it was...too much 1) shipping of jobs overseas and 2)automation/technological advancement that has reduced the # of manufacturing jobs.

Old 12-27-2019, 02:35 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,900,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Very salient points. There are still opportunities to attract manufacturing back to the city, but overall, we cannot go back to the days of Detroit being an industrial powerhouse like it was...too much 1) shipping of jobs overseas and 2)automation/technological advancement that has reduced the # of manufacturing jobs.
To point 2: I bet today more stuff is manufactured in metro Detroit than ever before. BUT because of advancements, it's done by fewer people than any time in the last 100+ years.
The "GDP" of metro Detroit is higher than it ever has been.

Indexed to 2001 (furthest back I could get with BEA), the 3 county MSA is 45% higher GDP today. Also manufacturing make 27% more stuff than in 2001.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:44 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Detroit simply can’t survive on manufacturing alone, it’s only going to employ fewer and fewer people.

There’s however no reason why Detroit can’t turn into a high tech hub, given the sheer number of superb technical colleges and overall talent concentration in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit