Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 10:14 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,181,090 times

Advertisements

with two young boys and my wife in 3 days of training. So I will be by myself with the kids from 8a-6p everyday

Interested in things to do (Fri-Mon) and possibly recommendations for childcare. We will likely be staying in Dearborn as that is where her workshop is (Dearborn Inn next to Ford Museum)

A few notes:

I'm a little wary cause we are embarking on a 10-week trip around the world, and this will be the tail end of it. Normally I'd be super pumped for taking the kids to explore a new city even by myself, but we will have done that in a dozen cities prior to this one. Not entirely sure what my state of mind will be or if there will be a backlog of work I need to get done.

I am really interested in checking out Windsor. I've been to Detroit a few times (though certainly have lots more to see and explore) but have never crossed over to Windsor. We really like Asian food (particularly Chinese) and I think it may be better on that side of the border? Is a visit to Windsor worthwhile and does just going for a few hours make sense? Or should I plan for us to spend the night?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 12:16 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,500,004 times
I don't think there's anything particularly interesting to see in Windsor. The waterfront is nice.

You'll be right across the street from the Henry Ford, which is a world class museum. It would be easy enough for you to wander around there with your kids.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:23 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,254,734 times
How old are the boys?

My daughter has son's 8 and 6 years old and a 3 year old daughter. She takes them to the Detroit Zoo a few times a year.
Greenfield Village next to the Henry Ford museum is also a nice day.
If they like baseball the Tigers play Kansas City 9-10-11 of August. Neither team is very good but that makes for cheap tickets and young kids can enjoy the day at a big league park without teams being contenders.

Last edited by craig11152; 06-05-2019 at 09:32 AM..

Old 06-05-2019, 09:53 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,181,090 times
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
How old are the boys?
Will be 4 and 1.5

Old 06-05-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Thanks for the info!

Will be 4 and 1.5
At those ages I'd probably put the zoo ahead of any other suggestions offered so far.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:50 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,890,867 times
A 1.5 year old is not going to get anthing much out of anything you do. However if you ahve one of those papoose carrier things they do not need to be a burdern. we went hiking all over the place when our twins were that age.

Check the Henry ford Schedule. Sometimes they have special displays for little kids like an interactive lego display.

Go down to river walk and rents bikes or scooters or those gyroscope things. Cruise riverwalk and dont forget to stop at the DNR outdoor adventure museum.

Go to Wyandotte or Kensington Metro-park and rent kayak or canoe or rowboat.

You could go to a beach (Kensington, or metrobeach)

Drive around until the kids fall asleep.

Go downtown and ride the people mover and or the Q line. People mover is cooler.

You could go ot the DIA. You are probably the only one who will get much out of it, but it is amazing and you really re not going to find much of anyhting for kids that young that they will get something out of.

Toledo Zoo is a nice zoo too but not so huge/more compact. That may work better with very little kids.

there is a private petting zoo between dearborn and toledo. I do not recall the name or whether it is still open.

Mayberry State park in Northville/Novi has a petting farm. So does kensington Metropark.

Bell Isle in Detroit has an aquarium also a shipping museum.

they might enjoy just going to hang out in a dog park. I cannot help you with where to find on near dearborn.

There is an Alpaca farm in Grosse Ile, you can pet the Alpacas. . It is called Island Alpacas or Gibraltar bay ALpacas.. (Dog park in GI too, but it is not used much)

Check the Detroit theaters. there are a ton of them and often there are kids shows. 4 year old might like a sesame street show or something. Hopefully the 1.5 year old will just sleep.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:58 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,914,294 times
Just 3 days -

Toledo Zoo > Detroit Zoo

Henry Ford & Greenfield Village

U of M Museum of Natural History, afternoon in Ann Arbor. I haven't been to the new building, but my daughter loved it at 5 and my niece loved it at 2-4.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:39 PM

If you wind up in Ann Arbor I would go to the Hands On Museum with young kids way before the Natural History Museum. Its not cheap, $12.50 each for dad and the 4 year old ($25 total). Free under age 2.

https://www.aahom.org/

Old 06-05-2019, 09:25 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,146,823 times
1. The Henry Ford Museum - Dearborn
2. Cranbrook Institute of Science - Bloomfield Hills
3. Detroit Zoo - Royal Oak
4. Michigan Science Center - Midtown
5. Riverwalk - Rivertown
6. Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Aquarium, Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory -Belle Isle
7. Little Italy - Windsor

Old 06-06-2019, 06:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,890,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
If you wind up in Ann Arbor I would go to the Hands On Museum with young kids way before the Natural History Museum. Its not cheap, $12.50 each for dad and the 4 year old ($25 total). Free under age 2.

https://www.aahom.org/
I would agree. For little kids this is probably the best choice around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit