Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,929,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
Whiel I don't appreciate the Wayne County sentiment as I live in Wayne County and my dad lives in Oakland (Bloomfield Township as a matter of fact) I echo your thoughts abot Bloomfield Hills having lots of old nice houses. They really are stunning. My dad's house is a 70s ranch near Auburn Hills, across the road are McMansion subs, but within Bloomfield Hills proper, there are STUNNING old mansions. There are many of these in Birmingham as well. Be prepared to pay in the millions though, but they really are true high end living.

Now THIS is Bloomfield Hills:
http://photo.ewebengine.com/pictures/mirc/mls/84/28034184_0h.jpg (broken link)
http://photo.ewebengine.com/pictures/mirc/mls/84/28034184_1h.jpg (broken link)

1923 built 13 bedroom, get this: 24,000 square foot mansion.
Price? Oh about $6 million.

Of course there are smaller, but that's the real money that is in Bloomfield Hills, which has the #2 highest income of any city outside California or Florida, and ranks as one of the top five wealthiest cities in the country with between 2,500 and 9,999 people.

Wow! That is stunning. But not typical. Where are these homes located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 08:38 PM

695 posts, read 3,413,515 times
That house is located off Kensington Rd near Long Lake Rd. Take a look at the last post on page 4.

Here's another 1930 built Bloomfield Hills classic mansion. Listed at just under $4 miilion. The taxes are an astonishing $23,000 a year.

http://www.realestateone.com/property_images/04/E27142804_101.JPG (broken link)

Also, looking at the houses, I recognize where that house that someone posted earlier was, the one with no trees around it. That is a new subdivision off of Long Lake Rd. It's gated, and construction there seems to be at a standstill. Those homes are definitely closer, and smaller than a lot of Bloomfield Hills houses. It is near the Hunt Club, which is pretty prestigious and makes sort of a neat environment. Unfortunately also near the railroad tracks that run along Kensington.

Last edited by cardwellave; 04-13-2008 at 08:52 PM..

Old 04-13-2008, 08:47 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,207,359 times
Quote:
I was only trying to defend my area as a whole and show how there are goods and bads of pretty much any place you go. I saw the disclaimer, but it doesn't mean I'm not going to be offended when someone attacks my hometown. I am certainly not a poor man and don't like my city called a poor man's city. I actually don't have much allegiance to Dearborn Heights at all; I plan on leaving in the next few years to a nicer suburb, but like I said, there are certain things that are great about the community. I felt it needed to be shown in a good light, just as you wanted to show Sterling Heights in a good light.

I think every community has a different appeal and there are some that are the perfect fit for some people, and some are bad fits. But every one caters to one person or another.
I think you were right to point out your truth of your city. People can say a lot of really dumb things under the guise of "it's just a joke, your not allowed to get mad" When people criticize cities they are attacking and stereotyping communities of people and that's usually not funny at all.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
I think you were right to point out your truth of your city. People can say a lot of really dumb things under the guise of "it's just a joke, your not allowed to get mad" When people criticize cities they are attacking and stereotyping communities of people and that's usually not funny at all.
Thank you, I really appreciate that someone understands where I was coming from.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:53 PM

686 posts, read 3,718,643 times
Interesting. I would most likely look at Bloomfield Hills, but a 12,000 sq ft house in detroit for $900,000!!!! What a deal. But then like everyone has said, you are in Detroit where you have to go through some rough areas. I found a nice house in Bloomfield Hills for 694,900 that is 2,387 sq ft and has woods, a river running through the yard, an expansive private driveway and nice amenties. That's nice as well. Here's the link for the home!! It's located near Telegraph and W Long Lake Rd's

Single Family Home - 3830 BROOKSIDE DR, BLOOMFIELD TWP, MI, 48302 - Realtor.com

Old 04-13-2008, 08:59 PM

I have a pretty good idea where this house is. There's a Kroger Fresh Fare on the corner of Telegraph and Long Lake, lots of stores over there on Telegraph as well. I know this type of home pretty well also. There's a lot like these around Bloomfield Township. (That home is actually in Bloomfield Township). If there's any other questions you have, I know the area pretty well.

Can I ask you your price range though? I know of a few different NICE houses over there, but some are pretty pricey so...

Old 04-13-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I have a pretty good idea where this house is. There's a Kroger Fresh Fare on the corner of Telegraph and Long Lake, lots of stores over there on Telegraph as well. I know this type of home pretty well also. There's a lot like these around Bloomfield Township. (That home is actually in Bloomfield Township). If there's any other questions you have, I know the area pretty well.

Can I ask you your price range though? I know of a few different NICE houses over there, but some are pretty pricey so...
Sounds like a nice area. I can spend really up to 850,000 but don't really want to spend that much. I would like something left over for renovations to fix things I don't like. This is if I choose to come. I am considering it strongly. So I assume that area is safe?

Old 04-13-2008, 09:28 PM

Oh yeah. I don't feel unsafe where I live now and the houses are about an 1/8 the price. :P But yeah it is a nice area.

There's not a lot of houses (upon a quick look) that are older than say 1950 that in that price range, though I did see a number of nice one upon looking. I can do some more searching later. There are probably some like that in Birmingham also.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:30 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,929,124 times
Oops My mistake I was referring to West Bloomfield. I mix the two up all the time for some reason.

You are probably referring to the old Fisher Mansion in Detroit. We looked at that. It is truly stunning. You can probably negotiate a much lower price than $900,000 and own a part of history.

However it is no where near as pleasant as the areas that you are considering. Detroit can be challenging. Do you have a pioneering spirit?

Shopping is difficult in Detroit. There is some but not a lot of safe options. North Oakland County in comparison has some of the best shopping and dining around.

Good luck on your choice. You have a once in a lifetime opportunity right now. Your budget will allow you to buy an incredible place and probably leave money left over for travel, toys, charity, whatever. Just be careful because whatever you buy you will not be able to sell for a long time. Make sure that the are you choose has the atmosphere that you want.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:37 PM

I will thanks much, and if I have more questions, I will definitely ask. Thanks. Oh, and thank you for the link in my DM.

Daniel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit