Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 04:28 AM

181 posts, read 206,183 times

Advertisements

I was looking at an apartment in this area and was wondering what people's opinions were? I know that the area west near Royal Oak Township has a reputation for being dangerous, but what about east between Woodward and the train tracks? I know it's not the best part of Ferndale, but I'm trying to save money and have no intention of being in Ferndale long term.

The fact that the location is basically Detroit makes me nervous, I mean Detroit is literally two steps south. I have been in this area before and never had issues. I noticed that there is a new Meijer in the shopping center south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 05:23 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,352,338 times
North side of 8 Mile is very rough. I wouldn't live south of 9 Mile really anywhere in the northern suburbs. At the very least, find something closer to 9 than to 8.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:23 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,275,736 times
It's all perfectly fine and safe. Not as glamorous as Woodward/Nine mile - as the homes are much smaller. Smaller price points make that area and Hazel Park largely blue collar - but since you're renting and only looking short term - not worth the money to impress others. Plus - you have the large Meijer development right there. That area bordering Detroit is nothing to sweat - as the "Detroit" on the west side of Woodward (Green Acres/Sherwood/Palmer Woods) is one of the nicer areas of Detroit and the Detroit to the east of Woodward is commercial/state fair land over to to the train tracks.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:22 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,164,427 times
The neighborhood between Woodward and the railroad tracks seem to be doing well. It seems like maybe many of the old-timer, non-hipster residents live in that part.

The large shopping plaza (featuring the first Applebee's to open in the Detroit "city limits"!) and the empty State Fairgrounds buffer that section of Ferndale from the sorry Detroit neighborhood that starts at State Fair Avenue. The police presence is very, very strong in and around that shopping plaza, and that Meijer is patronized by many-a-Ferndale resident.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:42 AM

406 posts, read 769,386 times
The Detroit side is more attractive. Ferndale borders the wealthiest collection of neighborhoods in the city

Old 06-29-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
It's all perfectly fine and safe.
Nonsense. 8 Mile Road is one of the highest crime corridors in the entire metro area.

Visit the Ferndale police department and ask them where crime is concentrated. It's almost all south of 9 Mile, rising as you get closer to 8. The Detroit neighborhoods just south of 8 are awful even for Detroit standards. The State Fair and John R corridors are about as bad as it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Not as glamorous as Woodward/Nine mile - as the homes are much smaller.
Yes, when thinking of Ferndale, "glamorous" is the term that comes to mind...

Old 06-29-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit's own View Post
The Detroit side is more attractive. Ferndale borders the wealthiest collection of neighborhoods in the city
No, you're mixing up your neighborhoods. You're probably talking about West of Woodward, which has nice enclaves between Woodward and Livernois.

Detroit East of Woodward, South of 8 Mile, could hardly be worse. It's one of the poorest, most bombed-out, most high crime neighborhoods in the U.S.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:39 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,892,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover89 View Post
I was looking at an apartment in this area and was wondering what people's opinions were? I know that the area west near Royal Oak Township has a reputation for being dangerous, but what about east between Woodward and the train tracks? I know it's not the best part of Ferndale, but I'm trying to save money and have no intention of being in Ferndale long term.

The fact that the location is basically Detroit makes me nervous, I mean Detroit is literally two steps south. I have been in this area before and never had issues. I noticed that there is a new Meijer in the shopping center south.
It does? The neighborhoods directly west of woodward are a hell of alot safer than the neighborhoods directly east of woodward. I never been to the section of Ferndale your talking about other than driving through it on woodward. But I know at the shopping plaza they have their on security and DPD patrols through there from quite often. I don't think you will have too many problems in Ferndale, honestly.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:13 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,275,736 times
I don't know the last time you were east of Woodward but the vacant homes/burned out homes are almost all grass fields now.

Yes the area east of the train tracks is still sketch - but the OP was specifically inquiring about the area between Woodward and the train tracks - not east of the tracks. My point was on the Detroit side - the area between Woodward and the train tracks was 100% commerical and/or state fair land and so nothing to sweat.

But seriously people don't live in Ferndale because they're scared of Detroit. They live in Holly if they're scared of Detroit.

I live in Detroit. I promise I won't come and get you in the middle of the night. And I'm not scared of living in Detroit. I actually prefer it having moved there from Royal Oak.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:53 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,606,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover89 View Post

The most dangerous thing about that part of Ferndale are the hippies. And I don't mean hipsters. Literal hippies (well, maybe a lot of hipsters too).

Aside from the occasional property crime that's typical of more densely populated areas, it's pretty fine. I've never heard of Royal Oak Township being dangerous, but it's largely made up of low rise public housing projects and has higher property crime than what's typical north of 8 Mile, but not at all dangerous. Just lock up your valuables and keep them out of sight if you can.

That part of Detroit (east of State Fair) actually isn't all that dangerous either, though if you intentionally go poking for trouble it probably wouldn't be that hard to find it. 99% of the time you won't even pass through that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit