Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:54 AM

35 posts, read 43,330 times

Advertisements

My 20 year old son is moving from CA and needs to be near Bloomfield Hills, as he won't have a car and will either ride a bike or use public transportation. I was looking on Craigslist at the prices of getting a room or a roommate in the area, and was really surprised at how high the prices are. I had assumed MI to be a lot more affordable than CA, especially in the current economy.

Any suggestions on a safe, affordable area with good public transportation that will get him to Bloomfield? Or would it make more sense for him to bring his car to MI and live further away? He has no experience in winter driving, but I suppose he could learn...

I had been thinking $200/month would be reasonable to rent a room in the area and avoid giving him the added expense of insuring and maintaining a car. I'm starting to think it would be a better investment to get a small house or condo and rent out the other rooms, if people are actually getting others to pay these prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 08:36 AM

866 posts, read 4,256,983 times
You really won't find anything in Bloomfield Hills or Bloomfield Township that is affordable.

Yes, the economy in Michigan is not very good right now but you are not going to get an apartment for $200/month anywhere but possibly in Detroit or Highland Park, two areas which I would greatly avoid.

Depending on how much your son can afford, it would probably be a better idea to look at sharing a condo or apartment. I would look into the areas in the suburbs along Woodward Ave, which includes Ferndale, Royal Oak, Hazel Park, Madison Heights, and Berkley.

I would suggest Birmingham as well but those apartments will have much higher price tags.

Regarding a car, it's basically a need around metro Detroit and all of Michigan, as we do not have a very good public transportation system. We have public buses, but I'm not exactly sure which areas they go into. I greatly doubt they public transit goes into Bloomfield Hills unless it's only on Woodward Ave.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:57 PM

35 posts, read 43,330 times
Thank you for replying. I was actually looking for a room to rent in a house for around $200 a month. It's pretty common where I live in CA, an area near several colleges and with apartment costs through the roof. I guess we will have to go farther out!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:07 PM

866 posts, read 4,256,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarynB View Post
Thank you for replying. I was actually looking for a room to rent in a house for around $200 a month. It's pretty common where I live in CA, an area near several colleges and with apartment costs through the roof. I guess we will have to go farther out!
If your son has to commute to Bloomfield Hills I would greatly suggest looking at the suburbs that I suggested, including Royal Oak, Ferndale, Hazel Park, etc. I know that they are geographically close to Detroit, but they are still very safe. By going "farther out" you really aren't going to find anything safer at an affordable price.

Plus, going "farther out" of Bloomfield Hills means venturing into Pontiac real estate, which many will tell you on this forum that it is a city to avoid.

As many here will probably agree with me, I would rather look into Ferndale or Hazel Park than Pontiac.

I suppose that you could also look into Clawson if you haven't already. I don't think it is a long commute to Bloomfield Hills from there.

Hope this helps

Old 07-15-2010, 06:05 PM

449 posts, read 934,235 times
Are we getting public transportation? I didn't get the memo.

He needs a car - no if ands or butts. Plus, BH is the most expensive place around. Waterford is very close though. Where does he need to get to?

Old 07-20-2010, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,196 times
Agree with Dexterguy if you want your son to be in Bloomfield you need to extend your budget or try to look more far away. Good luck on your son and hope you find that’s fit in your budget just make sure to take note on tips on How to Rent Out a Room.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:45 PM

4 posts, read 5,854 times
Default Bloomfield Hills

Bloomfield Hills is not only the wealthiest cities in Michigan, but it is consistently in the top 5 of the wealthiest cities in the Nation. You will not find a place for that price in this neighborhood, and yes he will absolutely need a car. I would try the cities mentioned above, but be careful even in waterford, it has some decent areas, but the areas closer to Pontiac can also be dangerous. I would try areas such as Walled Lake for Farmington/Farmington Hills.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:19 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,236 times
I'm curious where you live in CA that has apartments (even with roommates) for $200. That's half of what even the cheapest places in Midtown (downtown Detroit) would go for and you're in Bloomfield Hills.

But another suggestion - and one I did while I lived in DC after college with success - is post an ad on craigslist under "housing wanted". Here your son can post an ad about what he's looking for (and his budget) and people can write him back. Then your son can weed out the people who are weird/he doesn't like and everyone else is an interested potential apartment. It's more efficient because it saves you from having to search ads and look for places - as interested parties just email you directly.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:28 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
I'm curious where you live in CA that has apartments (even with roommates) for $200. That's half of what even the cheapest places in Midtown (downtown Detroit) would go for and you're in Bloomfield Hills.

But another suggestion - and one I did while I lived in DC after college with success - is post an ad on craigslist under "housing wanted". Here your son can post an ad about what he's looking for (and his budget) and people can write him back. Then your son can weed out the people who are weird/he doesn't like and everyone else is an interested potential apartment. It's more efficient because it saves you from having to search ads and look for places - as interested parties just email you directly.
there are many studios in midtown Detroit starting at around $200-$300, but agreed definitely not Bloomfield

Old 04-19-2011, 03:16 PM

655 posts, read 2,202,562 times
Wherever these 200-300 studios are, I'd want no part of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit