Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 04:28 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
The city has improved in many areas. You left the year after the riots, when the city's infrastructure and economy was pretty much totally crippled.
In defnse of Maxine, Detroit continues to decline from the Detroit she knew and love. Detroit was an entirely different city 45 years ago, and most who knew that Detroit would take it in a heartbeat versus today's Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 04:35 PM

282 posts, read 814,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Well, here's one for example. Look at my neighborhood, if you will: Sand Bar Lane, Detroit, MI - Google Maps

Yes, this is within the city of Detroit.
One small neighborhood....nice, but typical suburban house.
Nice that you can afford to live there, but what about the people that have no choice but to live in the hoods?
How is your police presence compared to the rest of the city?
Ask an average Detroiter what they think of the city. Guess you will have to go out in the neighborhoods to ask as they don't have computers.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:09 PM

970 posts, read 2,967,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine3 View Post
Ask an average Detroiter what they think of the city. Guess you will have to go out in the neighborhoods to ask as they don't have computers.
I'll have to suggest you speak to detroitlove, ForStarters and Slappy San. They are what you would call 'average Detroiters' and are pretty much happy with this city. Also, I'd look into these areas if I were you;

Marina District, Detroit, MI - Google Maps

Jefferson Chalmers, Detroit, MI - Google Maps

Briggs, Detroit, MI - Google Maps

I went to all those neighborhoods when I was looking for a house in the city, and spoke to some of the residents. They are all unique, multicultural areas. African-Americans, Hispanics, Asians, and a surprising amount of white former suburbanites such as myself. You name it, and they live in these areas. These areas have a great housing stock, access to downtown, strip malls, and little niche stores, and ethnic diversity. What more could you ask for in a city?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:18 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
I'm also a follower now, your portraits and writing are wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePeopleOfDetroit View Post
Detroit is what you make it. They neighborhoods are no so much dangerous as they are abandoned and in disrepair. Unlike many of the posters here, I actually live here and grew up in the city (Highland Park, specifically).

Downtown and Midtown are great places to live. That's where I currently reside. Since I started doing my photo project (The People Of Detroit) I've met so many creative, motivated, smart, attractive folks.

I photographed the founder of the Detroit Opera House. When I came across him, I didn't know who he was. I had also never been to a opera.

Just this past Sunday, he called me up and invited me to the Opera.

When I arrived, I had box seats in the middle of the theater. And much to my surprise, the opera founder came and sat next to me thru the entire performance.

This is a man who spent $20 million of his own money to fund the opera. And he's the sweetest man you could ever hope to me. His photo:

The People Of Detroit: Visionary

Also, a creative director in China saw my photo project on flickr and hired me to shoot a ad campaign for McDonalds there. Its a great place for me to being doing a project like this because the city is in the international spotlight - for better or worse.

So yea, I love Detroit. Though I admit, your results may vary.

Noah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit