Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Des Moines vs. Omaha
Des Moines 61 48.80%
Omaha 64 51.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 06:50 PM

609 posts, read 2,922,048 times

Advertisements

Des Moines and Omaha have competed with each other for decades. OMaha's growth has outpaced Des MOines, but there are merits to both cities.

Which one do you like better?

As for me, overall, though I'm from Iowa, I do like OMaha better (but barely)...but in comparison, I still think Des Moines' downtown has a much nicer skyline than OMaha despite OMaha's recent additions. Des MOines downtown has a higher density of buildings compared to OMaha's, which is more spread out. Des Moines also has a skywalk system that is only bested by Minneapolis/St. Paul's. Des MOines downtown is also home to a very nice Farmer's Market.

Omaha does best Des Moines in their historic districts. The Old Market does clearly beat the Court AVe. Historic district. Both cities have their arenas and convention centers in their downtown. The Capitol building is in downtown Des MOines, and provides a nice frontscape to the city.

In terms of retail, Omaha has more retail overall, but Des Moines has attracted some big chains that OMaha does not have such as Cheesecake factory. I do believe the Town Center at Jordan Creek clearly bests any Omaha retail/entertainment district.

Airport: Airline access clearly goes to Omaha's Eppley. with the arrival of low cost carriers Southwest and Frontier, fares out of OMaha are clearly lower and there are more flight options out of Omaha compared to Des Moines Int'l. Omaha does have a non stop to Newark, but Des Moines ones up Omaha with a direct flight into LGA (La Guardia) on American.
Omaha's airport has better freeway access and is located more ideally than Des Moines' International Airport.

Freeways: Des Moines has an advantage with I-235...it goes through the heart of the city, which is the envy of Omaha as they are desparately trying to put a thoroughfare through the city in the way of Dodge AVe, which is still very difficult and costly to do. However, Omaha has a better developed suburban freeway system.

Sports: both are minor league cities.

Arts/Rec: Omaha Zoo clearly is better, but Des Moines has the Living History Farms. Museums are comparable.

Restaurants: Des Moines may slightly edge Omaha in this category, but very very barely. The recent Jordan Creek addition made Des Moines slightly ahead.

Entertainment venues: Qwest center clearly is better than Des Moines' arena/convention center. Qwest is state of the art, provides easy access to the airport.

Economy: Omaha is growing at a faster pace and most of Nebraska's resources are pouring into Omaha. Des Moines has to share its resources with Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities (aka Davenport), Iowa City Coralville, Sioux City, Waterloo/Cedar Falls, Dubuque. Meaning the state of Iowa has many more mid sized to large towns than Nebraska. Nebraska only has Lincoln and Omaha.

Overall: Omaha barely wins b/c of job climate, growth rate, and airline access.
But Des Moines wins on several categories...including their downtown skyline and amenities (skywalk system), etc.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:08 PM

196 posts, read 776,723 times
DSM definitely hangs in there pretty well with Omaha, given O has about 300,000 more people in the metro.

Speaking of metros, the DM metro is growing faster than Omaha, the latest census estimate for 2000-2006 puts DM at over 11%, Omaha was around 8-9%. DM is the second fastest growing metro in the Midwest behind Sioux Falls.

The city of DM is pretty stagnant population-wise, but the suburbs are booming. Omaha has different annexation laws, so they can easily annex land which adds to the Omaha city growth, but metros, DM is growing faster.

You are right on all points here, but I would say DM hangs in there pretty well against Omaha. I'd probably give Omaha an edge because of the Zoo, Eppley Airfield's connections, and Qwest Center is doing great for concerts (better than Wells Fargo Arena, though they are both excellent venues).

Also, DM's airport now has excellent freeway access because it is now less than a mile off the southern beltway. Also job growth, I think they are pretty close and I think on a percentage basis, DM did better because of big additions at Wells Fargo & Allied Insurance recently.

Last edited by DSMGuy; 06-03-2007 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: airport

Old 07-02-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMGuy View Post
DSM definitely hangs in there pretty well with Omaha, given O has about 300,000 more people in the metro.

Speaking of metros, the DM metro is growing faster than Omaha, the latest census estimate for 2000-2006 puts DM at over 11%, Omaha was around 8-9%. DM is the second fastest growing metro in the Midwest behind Sioux Falls.

The city of DM is pretty stagnant population-wise, but the suburbs are booming. Omaha has different annexation laws, so they can easily annex land which adds to the Omaha city growth, but metros, DM is growing faster.

You are right on all points here, but I would say DM hangs in there pretty well against Omaha. I'd probably give Omaha an edge because of the Zoo, Eppley Airfield's connections, and Qwest Center is doing great for concerts (better than Wells Fargo Arena, though they are both excellent venues).

Also, DM's airport now has excellent freeway access because it is now less than a mile off the southern beltway. Also job growth, I think they are pretty close and I think on a percentage basis, DM did better because of big additions at Wells Fargo & Allied Insurance recently.
That's good that they finally completed the southern belt. I just read that Des Moines was planning on replacing their outdated airport as soon as your passenger totals exceed (i forgot the exact numbers) 2 million is off the top of my head. That's exciting b/c I think Des Moines can build a very world class facility, and perhaps they can attract even more carriers.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:29 PM

100 posts, read 534,417 times
Never been to Omaha, but Des Moines is awesome. Whenever I'm there, it always strikes me that Des Moines "feels" much bigger than it acutally is. Des Moines skyline has a lot to do with that. It not only beats Omaha and similarly-sized cities Lincoln and Madison, WI, but also St. Louis, and gives Milwaukee a run for its money!!

Des Moines is not given as much credit as they deserve because their suburbs are so big and aggressive. Despite that, they enjoy capital status (which Omaha does not), are more centrally located within the state, and have a reputation for being a better city for business. Also keep in mind that Omaha's metro includes like, what, 8 counties, and Des Moines only has 5!

Des Moines also faces much stronger competition within its state, which was mentioned. It has always seemed to me that Des Moines has much more to offer culturally-speaking, and that Omaha's status is artificially inflated by their ability to annex vast tracts of land (Kansas City, Missouri does the same thing).

My vote goes to Des Moines.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:04 AM

673 posts, read 4,070,237 times
Im going to vote for Omaha. But its close in many different ways.

Economically- Omaha wins this one hands down, its larger. The wages are quite similar but Omaha is more economically diverse because Des Moines more of an insurance town overall

Housing Values- They seem to have similar housing values overall, but rents are much lower in Omaha and they have a wider selection of older smaller units it seems.

Urban environment- Both have rather middle-of the road urban environments that need improvements. Omaha seems a little more edgy, despite Des Moines being more blue it seems more conservative but that is just my experience from when I have been there. Both cities urban environments have a long way too go in my opinion but Omaha seems to be more risky and urbane, Des Moines focuses on being more trendy (sort of that white-collar image it likes to put on)

People- Omahans and Des Moines are both polite, both are rather reserved however it seems like Des Moines is slightly more reserved then Omaha.

Omaha just seems to have more of an authentic, gritty old-style culture to it compared to Des Moines which is unique. Omaha's scene sort of has a bit of the way about it like alot of eastern midwestern cities, while Des Moines scene feels like Minneapolis-lite in my personal opinion or it tries to emulate to a certain extent.

Cleanliness- Des Moines wins this one hands down.

Lowest amount of social isssues: Des Moines. Omaha is more socio-economically divided then many cities, Des Moines is more of a middle-class metro area.

Transit- Omaha. Omaha has a much more widespread transit system then Des Moines, Des Moines has one high frequency route and very few others. Omaha's is more widespread

Educational oppurtunity- Omaha by far, Des Moines has a private college but Omaha has private colleges/community colleges/ University of Nebraska Omaha/ satilitte campuses/ medical campuses. Its a major college city

Downtown- Des Moines has a cleaner downtown, its commercial area is better devoloped looks more dense even though Omaha has more of a business base in its metro, Omaha has a more historic downtown however. Neither is vibrant, although Des Moines seems slightly more vibrant. I would say Des Moines has a slightly better downtown overall then Omaha although both could use much improvement as far as attracting a critical mass of people later in the evening but they are trying.

Overall, Omaha is probubly in my opinion the better metropolitan area but it all depends on what one is looking for as far as where to settle.

Des Moines is probubly a more family-friendly metropolitan area, although Omaha has some very family-friendly suburban areas that pride themselves on good education
Omaha is probubly more of senior-citizen friendly metropolitan area
It is probubly a wash for people who are career-oriented as both cities have rather good economies.
Omaha is probubly more offers more selection as far as education oppurtunity

Best long term oppurtunity:
Downtown- Des Moines: Omaha has an expanding downtown, but Des Moines seems to be renovating and expanding there downtown on a more human-scale at a much faster clip, it also also has more room for expansion as much of Omaha's is higher density already which makes it harder to change as much as you other wise could.

Neighborhoods- Omaha has lots of eastside neighborhood that could use lots of imporovement, although they have some great architecture. Havent seen all the Des Moines neighborhoods it seems like Omaha has better architecture in the higher-end areas though. Overall, Im fairly naive on this when it comes to Des Moines.

Overall, both are decent cities and its a toss-up they both have their advantages and disadvantages and in my opinion both would recieve grades overall of C+.

It all depends, both are good metropolitan areas though.

Last edited by MattDen; 07-03-2007 at 03:25 AM..

Old 07-03-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
Im going to vote for Omaha. But its close in many different ways.

Economically- Omaha wins this one hands down, its larger. The wages are quite similar but Omaha is more economically diverse because Des Moines more of an insurance town overall

Housing Values- They seem to have similar housing values overall, but rents are much lower in Omaha and they have a wider selection of older smaller units it seems.

Urban environment- Both have rather middle-of the road urban environments that need improvements. Omaha seems a little more edgy, despite Des Moines being more blue it seems more conservative but that is just my experience from when I have been there. Both cities urban environments have a long way too go in my opinion but Omaha seems to be more risky and urbane, Des Moines focuses on being more trendy (sort of that white-collar image it likes to put on)

People- Omahans and Des Moines are both polite, both are rather reserved however it seems like Des Moines is slightly more reserved then Omaha.

Omaha just seems to have more of an authentic, gritty old-style culture to it compared to Des Moines which is unique. Omaha's scene sort of has a bit of the way about it like alot of eastern midwestern cities, while Des Moines scene feels like Minneapolis-lite in my personal opinion or it tries to emulate to a certain extent.

Cleanliness- Des Moines wins this one hands down.

Lowest amount of social isssues: Des Moines. Omaha is more socio-economically divided then many cities, Des Moines is more of a middle-class metro area.

Transit- Omaha. Omaha has a much more widespread transit system then Des Moines, Des Moines has one high frequency route and very few others. Omaha's is more widespread

Educational oppurtunity- Omaha by far, Des Moines has a private college but Omaha has private colleges/community colleges/ University of Nebraska Omaha/ satilitte campuses/ medical campuses. Its a major college city

Downtown- Des Moines has a cleaner downtown, its commercial area is better devoloped looks more dense even though Omaha has more of a business base in its metro, Omaha has a more historic downtown however. Neither is vibrant, although Des Moines seems slightly more vibrant. I would say Des Moines has a slightly better downtown overall then Omaha although both could use much improvement as far as attracting a critical mass of people later in the evening but they are trying.

Overall, Omaha is probubly in my opinion the better metropolitan area but it all depends on what one is looking for as far as where to settle.

Des Moines is probubly a more family-friendly metropolitan area, although Omaha has some very family-friendly suburban areas that pride themselves on good education
Omaha is probubly more of senior-citizen friendly metropolitan area
It is probubly a wash for people who are career-oriented as both cities have rather good economies.
Omaha is probubly more offers more selection as far as education oppurtunity

Best long term oppurtunity:
Downtown- Des Moines: Omaha has an expanding downtown, but Des Moines seems to be renovating and expanding there downtown on a more human-scale at a much faster clip, it also also has more room for expansion as much of Omaha's is higher density already which makes it harder to change as much as you other wise could.

Neighborhoods- Omaha has lots of eastside neighborhood that could use lots of imporovement, although they have some great architecture. Havent seen all the Des Moines neighborhoods it seems like Omaha has better architecture in the higher-end areas though. Overall, Im fairly naive on this when it comes to Des Moines.

Overall, both are decent cities and its a toss-up they both have their advantages and disadvantages and in my opinion both would recieve grades overall of C+.

It all depends, both are good metropolitan areas though.
I have to say, the OMaha skyline was behind Des Moines for a long time, but with the recent addition of the First National, it's on par.
I do disagree with Des Moines having as good skyline as St. Louis. St. Louis has so many more highrises, they have two downtowns in the old downtown and Clayton. And you cannot beat the ARch. The Arch is what separates St. Louis' skyline from other typical skylines in America.

But to get back to the discussion, Des Moines has done a great job in its western suburbs...the Town Center at Jordan Creek really one upped Omaha. However, Omaha has one upped Des Moines in the Qwest Center and their role as a magnet for low cost carriers at Eppley Airfield.

Overall...very similar, but barely tip it to Omaha.
It would be nice if American reinstated mainline service back to Des Moines from DFW, where I live. The regional jets do get crammed for a 2 hr. flight.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:04 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,587 times
OMaha has a cheesecake factory, two fuddruckers, two Upstreams, and several top-scale restaurants...

Omaha is about to start building a nearly 400 ft 32 story condo tower, with other possible towers in the mix...

Another advantage to Omaha.... believe it or not... is the alternative Council Bluffs which is becoming a player in the state of Iowa...
Many businesses and coporations are building in Omaha, but when one drops Omaha from consideration, they have another alternative in CB which actually helped the metro....

Old 07-03-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
OMaha has a cheesecake factory, two fuddruckers, two Upstreams, and several top-scale restaurants...

Omaha is about to start building a nearly 400 ft 32 story condo tower, with other possible towers in the mix...

Another advantage to Omaha.... believe it or not... is the alternative Council Bluffs which is becoming a player in the state of Iowa...
Many businesses and coporations are building in Omaha, but when one drops Omaha from consideration, they have another alternative in CB which actually helped the metro....
Actually in all fairness, I believe Des Moines also has a Cheesecake Factory at Jordan Creek.
I agree, Omaha is doing quite well for itself. They're one of the shining stars in what is otherwise a stagnant Midwest. I was recently there last month...liked the new urban style townhomes going up by Old Market...it almost looked Dallasesque as Omaha is acquiring more big city amenities. However, Des Moines is too. I agree that CB has an advantage...and I think western Iowa has been the ignored for too long...Sioux City and CB had they been invested more in by the rest of the state, may have been much more successful than it had been.
Had Iowa played smart a/b Sioux City, Sioux Falls wouldnt have overtaken Sioux City as much as it did and businesses may have been better divided b/t the two cities instead of evthing going to SF.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:05 PM

116 posts, read 343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
Des Moines also has a skywalk system that is only bested by Minneapolis/St. Paul's.
Don't forget Calgary too!

Old 07-05-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minneapolitan View Post
Don't forget Calgary too!
Sorry, that's my own ignorance. Never been to Calgary.

My apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines