Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:18 AM

219 posts, read 455,278 times

Advertisements

This is a very silly question but I guess someone had to start a Des Moines vs. Itself since they have already created every other City vs City in this state. To answer the question Des Moines and the Greater Des Moines area is still Des Moines, despite their being other cities of course, Des Moines is the dominate city in the area and state..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 06:51 PM

82 posts, read 162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
This is an interesting thread as I was back this summer, visiting my parents with my kids, and I've been living in California since April '07, with stints in VA (91-99) and MS (99-07) and stops since the late 80s in MN, IN, OH, MI and SD.

My parents live in the Beaverdale area and you can see some points of deterioration around the area, but its not that bad. They've actually improved a lot of the area around Drake from when I graduated from Iowa with my MA in '87. What's happened is the wealth has moved west to the Dallas County line but its not real population growth... I was a bit stunned to see that the mall in WDM has so quickly been surplanted by Jordan Creek... Merle Hay had been on its way down for years but the problem teens hanging out there were a problem when I was a teen.

They're still spending enormous amounts of money in downtown DSM appeasing the insurance industry. But, overall, compared to a lot of the rest of the country, if you don't mind really bad weather most of the year - its either too hot, or too cold - DSM isn't a bad place to live. If you want diversity, its not there, but it is a safe, clean and affordable place to live.
How is it not real population growth?

There are more people in the metro than the we're in the 80's hands down!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Des Moines is about to be in a bug hurt. They tried (illegally) to assess fees a few years back and got sued over it by a woman who didn't think they could do what they were doing. The Supreme Court recently denied their appeal and they have to repay the $40 million dollars they collected.

Where do the homeowners and business owners in DSM think that money is going to come from? I recommend keeping an eye on your property tax bill over the next couple of years.

And does DSM still have the 5 year tax abatement program for new houses built there? If so here's what it covers.

Urban Revitalization: Iowa state law allows cities to create urban revitalization districts in which property taxes can be abated for residential and commercial construction, including rehabilitation and new buildings. In creating an urban revitalization district with tax abatement, the city must detail the tax abatement rates. In Des Moines, residential development (major rehabilitation and new construction) may receive 5 year/100% or 10 year/declining abatement in most locations. In some neighborhoods surrounding the center city area, residential development can receive up to 10 year/100% tax abatement.

Guess who covers that cost.

We moved out of DSM to WDM 25 years ago because we saw rampant mismanagement of the city. We have not regretted the move. I still think DSM can be a great place to live, but anyone considering moving here should be aware of the continued lack of good management and poor foresight shown by those who run the city.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Des Moines is about to be in a bug hurt. They tried (illegally) to assess fees a few years back and got sued over it by a woman who didn't think they could do what they were doing. The Supreme Court recently denied their appeal and they have to repay the $40 million dollars they collected.

Where do the homeowners and business owners in DSM think that money is going to come from? I recommend keeping an eye on your property tax bill over the next couple of years.

And does DSM still have the 5 year tax abatement program for new houses built there? If so here's what it covers.

Urban Revitalization: Iowa state law allows cities to create urban revitalization districts in which property taxes can be abated for residential and commercial construction, including rehabilitation and new buildings. In creating an urban revitalization district with tax abatement, the city must detail the tax abatement rates. In Des Moines, residential development (major rehabilitation and new construction) may receive 5 year/100% or 10 year/declining abatement in most locations. In some neighborhoods surrounding the center city area, residential development can receive up to 10 year/100% tax abatement.

Guess who covers that cost.

We moved out of DSM to WDM 25 years ago because we saw rampant mismanagement of the city. We have not regretted the move. I still think DSM can be a great place to live, but anyone considering moving here should be aware of the continued lack of good management and poor foresight shown by those who run the city.
I think great things have happened as far as revitalization.

The problem with Des Moines 'proper' is that it is now staring down even more cuts topped with simultaneous tax increases. Now alot of people who live there say they are more than willing to pay for their more inner city lifestyle. And thats fine. I just question the ability of the city to really generate the growth it NEEDS to remain competitive and healthy with the long term outlook which is higher and higher property taxes. With there being a huge amount of land that is tax exempt it puts the city in a bind.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,752 times
It is offensive to get on to a city site and see the word "whiter" used in that context! I think it is offensive and ignorant. I am appalled and discouraged with the growth of education that these "whiter" people are obtaining. There are many people of different races in Des Moines and surrounding areas that I consider much "safer" than many "whiter" people in the same area. Grow up and grab a useful education! I do not believe it ethical to use those terms on a city site!

Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 AM

Overreact much?

Old 03-06-2013, 11:03 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Even after the $40 million in property taxes that shouldn't have been, residents still think it's the most amazing city in the world. It's very impressive.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Even after the $40 million in property taxes that shouldn't have been, residents still think it's the most amazing city in the world. It's very impressive.
Interesting tone coming from someone who would otherwise applaud property taxes to the utmost because it creates an amazing quality of life thus indicating a more liberal and sophisticated community. As evidenced by your love for such cities that you regularly point out here. (Minneapolis, San Francisco, etc.)

And the 40 mil were franchise fees that were collected prior to the law being solidified by the state but now need to be refunded. So businesses and residents will have a little more money in their pocket. However those residents are still going to pay franchise fees from after the law was approved by the legislature.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
And again we get a supposedly insightful post from someone who doesn't live here.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:39 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Looks like they really expanded the Des Moines CSA. It's now up to 732,720 people and includes Newton, Ames and Boone.

Cedar Rapids and Iowa City were also combined with a population of 415,468.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines