Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 11:10 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,867 times

Advertisements

Ditch the Ditch

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 11:14 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Is this the group that's advocating for the equally asinine re-route of I-70 along the existing 270 corridor?

Old 08-07-2017, 11:38 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
This is counter productive. The improvements being made are very beneficial to the residents of the area. They just don't think they should have a highway anywhere near them even though they have lived next to one forever.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:40 AM

1,948 posts, read 2,297,831 times
I remember reading that there was one Idea to reroute through Adams county

Old 08-08-2017, 11:21 AM

618 posts, read 1,366,222 times
I'm not a fan of either alternative. On the surface, the re-route to 270/76 seems to be a good choice, but it would negatively affect so many businesses along I70 that need easy freeway access. In addition, the benefits of demolishing I70 and restoring 48th Ave will lead to property values going up and subsequently displacing many residents of Elyria, Swansea, and Globeville as the area becomes rapidly gentrified. My BS meter really went off when I learned that Kyle Zeppelin joined as a plantiff in a lawsuit against CDOT---the Zeppelin family would profit handsomely from redevelopment and gentrification of these neighborhoods.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:28 PM

556 posts, read 1,200,073 times
How about we just stop widening highways and invest in some real transit solutions? The front range will soon be all LA style congestion.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:52 AM

588 posts, read 562,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
How about we just stop widening highways and invest in some real transit solutions? The front range will soon be all LA style congestion.
The mayor has committed to building more bike lanes, he also wants people to car pool.

Denver mayor wants commuters to stop driving to work by themselves | FOX31 Denver

Quote:
Hancock is proposing a plan to reduce the number of people who commute to work by themselves by car.

"Seventy-three percent of Denver commuters drive to and from work in cars by themselves. By 2030, our goal is 50 percent," Hancock said.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:19 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,198 times
Don't blame me. I bike commute and use the bus to get to most places.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:39 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
This is counter productive. The improvements being made are very beneficial to the residents of the area. They just don't think they should have a highway anywhere near them even though they have lived next to one forever.
They have not lived next to a highway "forever."

The building of I-70 through Denver is an example of Nimbyism and the inability of poor residents to stop the destruction of their neighborhoods.

The original east-west highway through Denver was US-40 which turns into Colfax Ave. In fact, the US-40 route east and west of Denver of the metro area is the route that I-70 was built on which is why I-70 intersects with Colfax on both the east and west sides of Denver. The interstate was rerouted through the Denver metro area to the north part of the city because the poor residents of Denver could not mount the legal challenges necessary to stop the construction of the route.

When it was built, the highway divided long-established ethnic neighborhoods filled with Polish, Slovenian, and Italian immigrants. These tightly-knit groups were split and the neighborhoods fell into further decay. Today's groups are trying to avoid a second round of neighborhood busting by protesting the ditch and asking for alternatives.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:57 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
They have not lived next to a highway "forever."

The building of I-70 through Denver is an example of Nimbyism and the inability of poor residents to stop the destruction of their neighborhoods.

The original east-west highway through Denver was US-40 which turns into Colfax Ave. In fact, the US-40 route east and west of Denver of the metro area is the route that I-70 was built on which is why I-70 intersects with Colfax on both the east and west sides of Denver. The interstate was rerouted through the Denver metro area to the north part of the city because the poor residents of Denver could not mount the legal challenges necessary to stop the construction of the route.

When it was built, the highway divided long-established ethnic neighborhoods filled with Polish, Slovenian, and Italian immigrants. These tightly-knit groups were split and the neighborhoods fell into further decay. Today's groups are trying to avoid a second round of neighborhood busting by protesting the ditch and asking for alternatives.
I'm well aware of the history. The vast majority of the residents there have been living next to that highway as long as they've been living here. Sure there are some exceptions. They see this as their one opportunity to try to get the highway moved, but at the end of the day it will not and should not happen. what is being proposed is a dramatic improvement for them versus the status quo.

They're entitled to their opinions of course and I'm entitled to mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver