Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 74,901 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, it's what you should always do. Get the extraction, the full extraction, scraped completely out, and then get a replacement. That is why I don't understand why dentists so strongly encourage their patients to "save their tooth" when all their doing is leaving a rotting tooth there. Having a fake tooth will allow you to eat just fine and help you to avoid all the other issues that come from root canals. You made a wise decision to save yourself over your tooth. If you can, get fake. Thank you for your post too. It shows how quickly the root canals can start to turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 07:42 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I had a root canal on my last molar on the bottom right (not sure of the number, but it was the one next to where my wisdom tooth has been). Had a root canal. Then a porcelain crown. That cracked so I got talked into a metal crown. Ultimately, the remaining tooth under the crown cracked, I got an infection and had it extracted. All of this over the course of about 7 years. You have no idea how much I wish I would have had it extracted to begin with. It would have saved me so much money and and I would have avoided a lot of pain.

My husband recently had a similar situation and we opted for an implant. I much, much prefer an implant to a bridge or a crown.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWchick1 View Post
Just this morning I had the very last molar on the top right side pulled and I do not regret it at all. I had a root canal and crown done on it three years ago and it suddenly started causing me pain a few days ago. Dentist said the bacteria in one of the roots must have been "sleeping" and then woke up for some reason and caused a nasty infection. I would have had to wait a full week for the endodontist to see me and see if the tooth was worth saving and to redo the root canal or pull it. I'm pregnant and opted to pull it since i was going on day three of being unable to eat or sleep.
Now, my question is should I bother getting an implant in? this is the only tooth I'm missing unless you count compacted wisdom teeth that were pulled almost 15 years ago

I would get several opinions. I couldn't get an implant because there just wasn't room. My new dentist (I love her) suspects that I had problems with my tooth because of the lack of space (I wasn't able to brush or floss correctly) so she felt I'd have the same issues with an implant. In other words, try to figure out what went wrong with the tooth you had extracted.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:09 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I would get several opinions. I couldn't get an implant because there just wasn't room. My new dentist (I love her) suspects that I had problems with my tooth because of the lack of space (I wasn't able to brush or floss correctly) so she felt I'd have the same issues with an implant. In other words, try to figure out what went wrong with the tooth you had extracted.
There wasn't any way for her to make a smaller tooth, one that fit in the space? If this was your last molar (next to the wisdom tooth), I'm just curious as to why they didn't extract the wisdom tooth, and put in a proper implant. You don't really use your wisdom teeth for anything, they just take up space (or cause problems such as in the case of impacted wisdom teeth). I don't see any point to pulling wisdom teeth just for the sake of pulling them - but if pulling one would make room for an implant that would help you chew and gnaw better, it just seems to make sense to me.

Or was it a different tooth and the bad tooth had been pushed out of place and the gap closed too much to replace it? If that's the case, what ended up happening to the gap?

I agree though - I'd get a couple of opinions. Personally, if I can afford it, I'll go the implant route whenever I agree with such a recommendation. I regret having this front bridge - I realize too late, that if anything happens to either of the anchor teeth, I might end up having to get 5 implants, because it's already an expansion on the original 4-tooth bridge (my front teeth were jarred loose in a near-fatal (for me - it WAS fatal for my friend who was with me) car accident back in 1983 and I've had problems with my upper jaw ever since). If implants were readily available back in the mid-1980's when I realized I'd need a root canal on one of my front teeth, I would've done that.

On the other hand - I've had a root canal on a molar for the past 8 years and it's never given me a lick of trouble.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There wasn't any way for her to make a smaller tooth, one that fit in the space? If this was your last molar (next to the wisdom tooth), I'm just curious as to why they didn't extract the wisdom tooth, and put in a proper implant. You don't really use your wisdom teeth for anything, they just take up space (or cause problems such as in the case of impacted wisdom teeth). I don't see any point to pulling wisdom teeth just for the sake of pulling them - but if pulling one would make room for an implant that would help you chew and gnaw better, it just seems to make sense to me.

Or was it a different tooth and the bad tooth had been pushed out of place and the gap closed too much to replace it? If that's the case, what ended up happening to the gap?

It's a bit of a long story, but my mouth is on the smaller side. My wisdom teeth had been removed years before. The tooth was the last on the bottom, next to where the wisdom tooth had been. Further complicating matters is the fact that I should've had braces as a kid, but my parents couldn't afford them so my top teeth aren't properly aligned with the bottom.

So.....basically, my top molar wasn't matching the bottom. The bottom had shifted too far back and it was nearly impossible to clean properly (I was aware of my issues and was diligent). Once my crown kept breaking, I switched dentists. My new dentist refused to do anything until she figured out what went wrong with that tooth to begin with. In her opinion (and I concur), my mouth just can't handle a tooth there.

I had the tooth extracted several years ago and no problems so far. In fact, I'd been having jaw pain and headaches that has since disappeared. Could be coincidence, but I'm thrilled.

Alternatively, my husband had a tooth extracted (we didn't waste time on root canal, crowns, or bridges) and he had an implant. Yeah, it was pricey; but it was so worth it.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:07 PM

2 posts, read 58,871 times
Default pull tooth or root canal

I just had my tooth pulled. I looked for a dentist that would make me feel compfertable. I found Dr. Chantiste Beal in los Angeles. She didn't hustle me or shame me from my fear. The root canal would have been to costly for me since I am a single mother of three. I was afaid. This Dr. is the the Dr. that everyone should see. No root canal.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 57,455 times
Default Adult with 3 Canine baby teeth, now adult teeths not comming down.

Hi Experts,

I'm 27, I had baby teeth 2 upper canine and one lower canine as in attached x-ray. last two years back I went with baby teeth removal and braces for the rest of the teeth for space problem.
My doctor left those inner canine teeth to come out on its own by exposing the close by bone which was abstracting to its way down.
after 2-3 months since there was no movements, Doc told will fix a bracket by small surgery to deep expose to pull them down. and all 3 braces are still fixed but there are no much improvement on its way out. brackets are fixed on the back side of all 3 canine teeth and a titanium tread is tighten to a side by teeths.

Now i'm regretting on removal of my baby teeth.. those were not bothering me and in fact i did not noticed that adult teeth are still inside.

No its already long journey of 2.5 years with braces.. I need suggestion whether wait for some more time or to go for implant by extracting inner adult teeth or to have a bridge.

If i go for implant, Since there will be huge lose of inner bone after adult teeth removal. what are the suggestive ways to fix it.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated, thanks in advance.

//M_DH
Attached Thumbnails
Should I get a root canal or pull the tooth?-001_1.jpg  

Old 10-08-2013, 11:30 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_dh View Post
Hi Experts,

I'm 27, I had baby teeth 2 upper canine and one lower canine as in attached x-ray. last two years back I went with baby teeth removal and braces for the rest of the teeth for space problem.
My doctor left those inner canine teeth to come out on its own by exposing the close by bone which was abstracting to its way down.
after 2-3 months since there was no movements, Doc told will fix a bracket by small surgery to deep expose to pull them down. and all 3 braces are still fixed but there are no much improvement on its way out. brackets are fixed on the back side of all 3 canine teeth and a titanium tread is tighten to a side by teeths.

Now i'm regretting on removal of my baby teeth.. those were not bothering me and in fact i did not noticed that adult teeth are still inside.

No its already long journey of 2.5 years with braces.. I need suggestion whether wait for some more time or to go for implant by extracting inner adult teeth or to have a bridge.

If i go for implant, Since there will be huge lose of inner bone after adult teeth removal. what are the suggestive ways to fix it.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated, thanks in advance.

//M_DH
I might suggest having an oral surgeon provide you with a consultation. None of us here (that I know of) are qualified to give you such expert advice.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:32 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
I've had 7 root canals, and never had a problem with any of them. I personally would choose a root canal over pulling, if you can save the tooth.
Right. I've had two and never had a problem with either. It does take quite a while which can get boring but it is fine one finished.

AnonChick, you mentioned sinuses which is really what brought me to this site. I am wondering if the soreness in my jaw is more likely sinuses. The reason I wonder is that it moves. Sometime it is in the upper jaw and centered around one tooth. Dentist says there is no cavity there. Now it Is in the lower jaw, feels like a bad tooth, hurts when I bite down. Other times, when I am not eating, it is achy in the lower jawbone. I've not had it checked yet but, considering, that the lower jawbone is also achy, I do wonder. Since I have minor but continuous sinus problems anyway, can that affect even the lower jaw?

Old 10-25-2013, 12:00 PM

506 posts, read 2,573,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I have heard of SOO many root canals never actually helping the tooth and having to get it pulled anyway later on
That is such a small percentage but it is always the most posted on the internet. Go to an endodontist or general dentist who does root canals and ask them what their failure rate is. I'm guessing the best ones are at 1-2% failure rate, some may be 5% on the high side.

Which tooth number is it? Do you have all your other teeth? 28 is very young to lose a tooth unless all your friends and family are already missing teeth. Do you want to eat what you want when you get older or just eat what you can?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health