Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2016, 11:13 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times

Advertisements

Wow, TFW! You are so tenacious. I admire that quality a lot. I am thrilled that the med worked but how horrible it is that you had to deal with a vet across the country to buy it. Your vet is probably concerned about his license. I do understand that. Hopefully, when you let him know the success you and Lulu are having with the med he will reconsider his denial of it to Lulu.

Camp, I'm around but in this heat I am completely lazy even though it is nice and cool in the house.
Thinking about it, though, I'm lazy during the winter, too. ROFL. I've been on a book reading binge. I'll try to report in on a continuing basis.

My goal after retirement was to do nothing except watch old movies and read.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:52 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Thanks, Ketabcha. I've been buying antibiotics and other meds from this California vet for over 25 years. I get Keflex and Amoxicillin for my sinus infections. I was also getting Tramadol, a pain killer, for both my dogs (especially Queenie, when she had her painful neck attacks) and myself until it became re-classified late last year. A lot of dog medications are also used by people. I buy Rimadyl -- a pain killer for dog arthritis that was originally designed for people -- for all my older dogs from him. He doesnt require prescriptions for anything and, in many cases, he's cheaper than my vet.

I'm not encouraging anyone to self-medicate -- but I do treat my own sinus infections and I was using Tramadol occasionally when my foot arthritis got really bad. And, after having dogs for 45 years, I appreciate having another source of meds for times when my vets dont know what to do. When Queenie would get her neck attacks, she'd be in such pain that she'd scream all night long. I was finally able to buy an injectable pain killer from my California vet -- it saved her from hours of agony many times.

I laughed at your retirement goals. I've been on a reading kick too lately. It's just too hot to do anything outside and there's only so much cleaning I can do inside.

Last edited by TFW46; 08-12-2016 at 12:07 PM..

Old 08-12-2016, 05:57 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Hellooooooo.......

It's lonely in here all by myself. Guess everyone has moved on with their lives.
I'm here - checking in to see how you all are doing. Too hot here as well to do much of anything outside. Hoping you all are well!! Restricting fluids here, otherwise, same old (there are really many things I SHOULD be doing inside but I'm just too tired/lazy - I've been reading a lot as well (I always have) - and wanted to get to the library today but it didn't happen (I went "crazy" and got some pretty cheap 50's style dining chairs from someone on the FB yardsale group - they were so sweet and offered to drop them off rather than me have several trips in my little Corolla) - I have a 50's black and white enamel table and these chairs will look so cool w/it!! (well, after I actually move somewhere else and can use but the price was too good to pass up).

Otherwise, hanging in there - got bloodwork done yesterday (it will be a weekly thing...) - talked to Mom (trying to help her long-distance dealing w/some things) - hoping for RAIN!!! we really need it here. Got my wedding invite for my friends' daughter (we've known each other since 3rd grade!!) - it's in Oct. - looking forward to that.

I do read and enjoy hearing how others are doing - keep up the posts!!

Old 08-12-2016, 07:18 PM

Like you, we've been needing rain here, Flamingo. The heavy downpours in Louisiana are heading west and my area is supposed to have thunderstorms every day for the next week. I bought some Melatonin for Lulu, as I read it works almost as well as the Xanax I've been giving her for her thunderphobia -- and it's much cheaper too.

Would love to see the chairs and table!

Old 08-13-2016, 12:11 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times
Wow! TFW, your simply amazing to do all the research you do. So happy to hear things are getting better for Lulu!!

You guys are making me look bad with all this reading. My mind wanders to much to read theses days. Hubby is never without his kindel or tablet. He drives me crazy with all the reading. Or maybe it's what he reads!! Ketabcha he reads about the same stuff you do I think.

Flamingo13, it's great to hear from you!! Would also love to see the table but I can't seem to have much luck posting pics on here. Way to much trouble for me.

You gys make me feel better about all this heat. I thought it was just me. Seems like I'm OK floating in the river but just checking the mail kills me. We did get a few minutes of rain this morning and the temps are good right now.

The honeymooners are due home today!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2016, 01:38 PM

Here's what Lulu's lip/chin area looked like on July 16 compared to what it looks like today. In another few weeks the oral warts should have shrunken into nothingness.
Attached Thumbnails
Freebie chat part 3-lulus-warts-07-16-2016-1.jpg   Freebie chat part 3-lulu-warts-08-13-2016.jpg  

Old 08-13-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Here's what Lulu's lip/chin area looked like on July 16 compared to what it looks like today. In another few weeks the oral warts should have shrunken into nothingness.
Wow. That's quite a difference.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:50 PM

And the July 16 photo didnt even show all the warts. You should have seen the ones inside her mouth -- one covered the entire roof of the mouth and the other covered the entire area under her tongue. I dont know how she managed to eat, as I've read that eating is very painful with these warts.

And my vet was so sure the azithromycin wouldnt work.

If younger dogs (less than 2 years old) get this virus, their immune systems can usually fight it off after 6 months or so when the immune systems mature. But, if an older dog like Lulu (who's 8-9 years old) gets the virus, there is no chance of the dog's being able to fight it off. I'm so thankful for all the dog owners who posted, all over the internet, about how well this antibiotic worked for their dogs.

I'll post another photo in a month or so.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:55 PM

There's a human form of this too -- Human Papilloma Virus. People with it get the same cauliflower-like growths on their lips, faces, hands, etc. Dogs cant transmit the Canine verison to people and people cant transmit the Human version to dogs.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:51 AM

What a beautiful start to a beautiful week!!!

We got rain all day yesterday on an off, maybe total of 1 inch. Not a flooding rain by any means but a great day to have Darren home. He spent the day out in the barn rearranging, combining and throwing away. We have to combine three storage sheds into one so we can tar down the old shed and out up the RV cover. Problem is a lot of it's still my moms stuff and I just won't go thru it yet. So much of it should go to someplace like the Good Will but we did that with so much of her stuff after she died.
So for now, he's just working it all in.
There is the slightest rain falling right now. So relaxing to listen to. Supposed to rain some for the rest of the week.

THEN I"M DONE AND READY FOR ANOTHER RIVER TRIP!!!!

Have a great week everyone!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff