Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 04:56 PM

17,299 posts, read 12,228,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
Dayton is becoming one place where first-time homebuyers can afford the market. The area in Fairborn near WSU appears to have several options in the $70-$100K range. I've considered it... I've found college town areas generally have whatever amenities I need to be content.

I find the older homes in the city of Dayton appealing, but I get concerned when I don't know the lay of the land... neighborhood boundaries, areas that are block-by-block, etc. The area near UD (which I think is a Catholic university) has a new retail strip in a row of rehabbed buildings. There was an older residential neighborhood alongside that strip, but I couldn't tell from the looks of it whether it's trending up or what the residents were like.

I've been downtown Dayton for a festival and felt safe and comfortable, no different than in any other city. The people were nice, I didn't run into anyone that day who was rude or obnoxious. I left with a good impression of Dayton.
A coworker has a beautiful older home in downtown's east side.

What she catches on her home security video is a regular topic of conversation. Especially the hookers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 05:10 PM

Tax situation in Dayton is ridiculous. I paid more in property taxes for my $109k Huber home than I do now for my $250k home in Battle Ground, WA(think Tipp city if it was just outside Portland rather than Dayton). Having no state or city income tax covers the mortgage difference too.

But the big difference is that after 10 years I sold my Huber home for $1k more than my purchase price. After 6 months in our home here it is worth $20k+ more than we paid for it. My best friend in college(WSU) went down to Texas and bought a house in Austin the same time I bought my Huber home. His value doubled in that same 10 year time span. I don't know about you but an extra $100k cash in your 30s is a pretty big deal.

There's a big opportunity cost of living in a stagnant market.

Last edited by notnamed; 03-02-2017 at 05:31 PM..

Old 03-02-2017, 07:36 PM

13,642 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
...There's a big opportunity cost of living in a stagnant market.
Indeed. The cost of entry may be appealingly low, but the opportunity cost is high. This is an important consideration, especially for professionals, who may find that their tax outlay and lost real-estate appreciation exceeds the consumer-savings of daily life.

But it's not some sin or detriment peculiar to Dayton, or to Ohio. It is true for any jurisdiction without a vibrant tax-base. Somebody has to pay for educating the kids and paving the roads. If there aren't enough affluent people to carry the tax burden, the less-affluent are going to have to pay more, and the few remaining affluent people will pay even more.

The divide that I see emerging in America is less about social wedge-issues, traditionalism vs. progressivism and the like. It is between those parts of the nation with a credible case for economic vibrancy, and those without it.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The divide that I see emerging in America is less about social wedge-issues, traditionalism vs. progressivism and the like. It is between those parts of the nation with a credible case for economic vibrancy, and those without it.
Yeah, cracked nailed it. The small town way of life is dying/not sustainable anymore.
How Half Of America Lost Its F**king Mind

Old 03-02-2017, 08:29 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
I do have to ask: If Nan is as bad as you claim, then why were her and Niraj Antani(Republican State Rep from Miamisburg) able to work together to end the RTA strike so quickly?
Even a busted clock is right twice a day.

The PR disaster for Nan would be too great if she presided as mayor of one of the few cities to have a lasting transit strike. Her political ambitions would be finished (although there's a powerful argument to be made that they're already toast - she would win any Dayton mayor's race over token opposition, she would flounder if she had to deal with a diverse electorate that was actually capable of independent thought).

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
There's a big opportunity cost of living in a stagnant market.
I've thought about this. I paid all of $2,000 more for my house last year than what the previous owner paid for the same house in 2004. It's more of a sunk cost if you don't intend on moving, and especially so if you pay the place off in short order because, well, housing is cheap in Ohio.

What concerns me is how property taxes have effectively doubled in most areas in the past 15 years. That's completely unsustainable.

And worse, anyone who doesn't actually own property (renters) doesn't directly feel the cost of voting "Yes" on tax levies. They don't have to fight their county assessor when the tax basis is arbitrarily raised far beyond what the house is actually worth. They don't have to cut a check for thousands and thousands of dollars to the county every six months simply for owning the property. Or if they're financing the house, they find a big property tax line on their escrow account, and their house payment winds up being way more than just principal and interest... and suddenly their monthly budget is crushed. That's how people get in debt.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:11 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,300,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post

The PR disaster for Nan would be too great if she presided as mayor of one of the few cities to have a lasting transit strike. Her political ambitions would be finished (although there's a powerful argument to be made that they're already toast - she would win any Dayton mayor's race over token opposition, she would flounder if she had to deal with a diverse electorate that was actually capable of independent thought).
How would it reflect on her necessarily? The media did a damn good job painting Mark Donaghy as "the bad guy" and even took a shot or two at the union in similar fashion.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:40 PM

430 posts, read 593,614 times
This thread has now gone completely meta. Never change, C-D.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:29 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,300,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post

I've thought about this. I paid all of $2,000 more for my house last year than what the previous owner paid for the same house in 2004. It's more of a sunk cost if you don't intend on moving, and especially so if you pay the place off in short order because, well, housing is cheap in Ohio.

What concerns me is how property taxes have effectively doubled in most areas in the past 15 years. That's completely unsustainable.

And worse, anyone who doesn't actually own property (renters) doesn't directly feel the cost of voting "Yes" on tax levies. They don't have to fight their county assessor when the tax basis is arbitrarily raised far beyond what the house is actually worth. They don't have to cut a check for thousands and thousands of dollars to the county every six months simply for owning the property. Or if they're financing the house, they find a big property tax line on their escrow account, and their house payment winds up being way more than just principal and interest... and suddenly their monthly budget is crushed. That's how people get in debt.
FYI Nan is running unopposed. Your candidate may have had phony signatures. His petition was declard invalid. He waited til 20 minutes before the deadline. Tsk tsk

Old 03-13-2017, 09:43 PM

96 posts, read 191,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandarthegreat View Post
My husband and I are from Chicagoland, so we're transplants. We are also in the minority in that we chose to live in the city rather than Beavercreek. Hardly a month goes by without someone from the 'burbs lecturing my husband at work on the base about how 'dangerous' it is where we live. Same with my sister who works at Grandview--a vast majority of her nurse/doctor coworkers are from outside of Dayton. The transplants here are hesitant to integrate it seems.
If the people lecturing you about safety are FROM Dayton, they're likely from the burbs ...And all they've heard on the news since the crack-crazed-80's is about Dayton's Detroitlike crime problems. (and Dayton's always been a satellite drug & gang hub for other cities off 75 between Florida and Michigan)

If they're part of the medical community, they or someone they know likely did rotations at Good Sam or Grandview at some point and heard about "someone at Good Sam" getting carjacked, car stolen, robbed, etc.

But a lot of people who move to Dayton are from tiny towns all over Ohio / Indiana making the crime they hear about on the news is a huge deal compared to where they're from. (but if you go back to their tiny towns everyone's probably wacked out on meth)

In all cases, the real crime gets magnified by everyone from Germantown claiming to be an expert on Dayton's crime.

Oh yeah and as far as integration... You're talking about a dozen or so balkanized suburbs where people from different suburbs don't even integrate. So the idea of people from the suburbs integrating with people in Dayton is a pipe dream that will likely never occur.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:52 AM

430 posts, read 593,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccasionalCommentary2020 View Post
If the people lecturing you about safety are FROM Dayton, they're likely from the burbs ...And all they've heard on the news since the crack-crazed-80's is about Dayton's Detroitlike crime problems. (and Dayton's always been a satellite drug & gang hub for other cities off 75 between Florida and Michigan)

If they're part of the medical community, they or someone they know likely did rotations at Good Sam or Grandview at some point and heard about "someone at Good Sam" getting carjacked, car stolen, robbed, etc.

But a lot of people who move to Dayton are from tiny towns all over Ohio / Indiana making the crime they hear about on the news is a huge deal compared to where they're from. (but if you go back to their tiny towns everyone's probably wacked out on meth)

In all cases, the real crime gets magnified by everyone from Germantown claiming to be an expert on Dayton's crime.

Oh yeah and as far as integration... You're talking about a dozen or so balkanized suburbs where people from different suburbs don't even integrate. So the idea of people from the suburbs integrating with people in Dayton is a pipe dream that will likely never occur.
You. I like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton