Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 04:26 AM

430 posts, read 593,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
So how many members of the service or government contractors have rotated through Dayton? How many health care professionals from elsewhere have landed in Dayton? How about university professors and students?
My husband and I are from Chicagoland, so we're transplants. We are also in the minority in that we chose to live in the city rather than Beavercreek. Hardly a month goes by without someone from the 'burbs lecturing my husband at work on the base about how 'dangerous' it is where we live. Same with my sister who works at Grandview--a vast majority of her nurse/doctor coworkers are from outside of Dayton. The transplants here are hesitant to integrate it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
"Or is it just part of the Dayton 'culture'? There have been several articles over the years detailing how banks are hesitant to loan money to investors that focus on Dayton because of the image acting contrary to the reality, so why continue to push this image of an urban hellscape at the expense of the region at large?"

I was one of those negative Dayton people but I think the city is actually doing a lot better, particularly the close-in-to-downtown areas. A lot of projects have been announced or are about to happen. Things that I never thought would happen (like renovating that old power station on E Third) are under development. Yeah there are still issues with neighborhood decline in outlying areas, etc, but still not "Little Detroit".

I'm sort of tired/bored with this entire negative thing and have moved on from that POV. Dayton isn't the place I would like, but I like what it does have and see there is progress.

Oh my gosh, have we converted the famous Dayton Sux?

I cannot wait to see that power station when it's finished; the pics from it when it was vacant are so promising. Yeah, we even have a farmer's market in Five Oaks now! We're all fancy.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:27 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Compared to a lot of places I have lived in and been to Dayton really is not that bad, and these places that are worse are filled with homers that think they live in the best place on earth so their issues will never be addressed. If people in Dayton held their elected officials feet to the fire and voted them out if they did not deliver results things would change fast, they could use inmates to clean up the trash, go after the owners of delinquent properties, etc.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:32 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times
Glad to see these responses, I think they are very fair and I'd agree with them.

If we are looking through a metro-only lens, I'd agree that Dayton has more to offer than most cities of its size, if anything because its metro is larger, but also because of a lot of strokes of luck (like the USAF Museum due to being the birthplace of flight, the great bike trail system due to topography and the legacy of Huffy bicycles/Rails to Trails, etc.)

But what I think really makes Dayton better than most mid-sized metros (and I'm noticing this greatly living in isolated southern Indiana for the time being) is the very close proximity to two other large metros. The way I see it, there's almost everything you could want or need within an hour's reach, which is pretty amazing for a mid-sized metro.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:53 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,300,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Compared to a lot of places I have lived in and been to Dayton really is not that bad, and these places that are worse are filled with homers that think they live in the best place on earth so their issues will never be addressed. If people in Dayton held their elected officials feet to the fire and voted them out if they did not deliver results things would change fast, they could use inmates to clean up the trash, go after the owners of delinquent properties, etc.
There are inmates cleaning up trash. Powell Rd in Huber a few days ago The problem, nobody wants to come pick up the full bags! Huber said it's the county's problem. Gee, do I dare call the county and ask them? Nah, they'll say it's Huber's issue

Old 02-24-2017, 10:40 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,130 times
Dayton is becoming one place where first-time homebuyers can afford the market. The area in Fairborn near WSU appears to have several options in the $70-$100K range. I've considered it... I've found college town areas generally have whatever amenities I need to be content.

I find the older homes in the city of Dayton appealing, but I get concerned when I don't know the lay of the land... neighborhood boundaries, areas that are block-by-block, etc. The area near UD (which I think is a Catholic university) has a new retail strip in a row of rehabbed buildings. There was an older residential neighborhood alongside that strip, but I couldn't tell from the looks of it whether it's trending up or what the residents were like.

I've been downtown Dayton for a festival and felt safe and comfortable, no different than in any other city. The people were nice, I didn't run into anyone that day who was rude or obnoxious. I left with a good impression of Dayton.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:11 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,300,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
Dayton is becoming one place where first-time homebuyers can afford the market. The area in Fairborn near WSU appears to have several options in the $70-$100K range. I've considered it... I've found college town areas generally have whatever amenities I need to be content.

I find the older homes in the city of Dayton appealing, but I get concerned when I don't know the lay of the land... neighborhood boundaries, areas that are block-by-block, etc. The area near UD (which I think is a Catholic university) has a new retail strip in a row of rehabbed buildings. There was an older residential neighborhood alongside that strip, but I couldn't tell from the looks of it whether it's trending up or what the residents were like.

I've been downtown Dayton for a festival and felt safe and comfortable, no different than in any other city. The people were nice, I didn't run into anyone that day who was rude or obnoxious. I left with a good impression of Dayton.
UD area may be trending up, but the crime problems seem to be going up also.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:17 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
UD area may be trending up, but the crime problems seem to be going up also.
In the campus area, or Dayton as a whole? Because crime has been trending down in the city for years, and the campus area is not nearly as bad as it used to be.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Dayton-Ohio.html

Old 02-26-2017, 06:22 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandarthegreat View Post
Oh my gosh, have we converted the famous Dayton Sux?

I cannot wait to see that power station when it's finished; the pics from it when it was vacant are so promising. Yeah, we even have a farmer's market in Five Oaks now! We're all fancy.
I think we saw a unicorn haha. Glad to see ya DS!

That's awesome you guys have a farmer's market in Five Oaks! Is it affiliated with the ones that shows up downtown at Wright Stop Plaza?

Old 02-27-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
I think we saw a unicorn haha. Glad to see ya DS!

That's awesome you guys have a farmer's market in Five Oaks! Is it affiliated with the ones that shows up downtown at Wright Stop Plaza?
They're not affiliated, I think. It's small, but very affordable. I set up a small booth last summer and ended up spending all of my profit on veggies. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton