Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 07:39 AM

6 posts, read 6,975 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much! These will all go on my list to try.

I'm particularly excited about the Japanese, actually. My boyfriend is half Japanese (with the traditional home-cooking Japanese mother) and he's really, really hard to please on that front, so it'd be wonderful to find a restaurant that caters to other Japanese Americans. I've actually never been up to Troy, so had no idea about the Japanese influence there. Down here in the suburbs the population seems pretty homogenous. Will also have to check out the area for an Asian market as well. Currently, we're driving down to Mason for the one Asian market I managed to find that's actually operating, but he loves browsing in these kind of places, so it's always good to have new options.

Funny you mention the Mexican market - in California, these types of places are some of the best around for Mexican food, and also, I do make some Mexican style dishes at home, so it will be great to check out the other market offerings.

I will definitely try the Chinese place also. I almost asked about that as well, but there really are so many Chinese food places out here that I've kind of been working my through them as it is and figured I'd hit on something great at some point (actually, I've had some decent stuff, but it's more Panda Express-ish than PF Cheng's-ish). I likely wouldn't have been all the way up in that area under normal circumstances and wouldn't have fount it, but definitely will check it out based on a recommendation.

American food is great, but that's mostly what I cook at home, so I love variety when I go out to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 04:45 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,173,639 times
haha of course! Always happy to help out.

I will warn you the Japanese population in Troy is not as apparent when you go there outside of the normal work week. I'm not sure how many commute, or where from, but the population is most visible during weekday lunch. But yeah they have (had?) a Japanese school and community center in the countryside right by Troy, and the Japanese population in Miami Co. (which Troy is in the center of) is over 1,000 people.

Additionally, I don't know if you've been to China Cottage yet, but it's a lot closer to you and people really seem to like it a lot! I've never been there though so I can't say either way. But I have been to Shen's plenty of times and it is a hard place to top.

But yeah, as far as Jungle Jim's goes I've heard from numerous employees there that they will order in items you ask for if they don't have them already. So if they don't have that chili block out in the store grab somebody working and ask them if they could get a shipment in so you could buy a block or two. They will be happy to do it, since they will be able to sell the rest off to other customers without much issue (if you go in on a Saturday and see the crowds you will know what I mean!).

Good luck!

Old 06-17-2015, 09:40 PM

908 posts, read 1,422,017 times
China Cottage has a second menu with authentic Chinese dishes that few people know about that you have to ask for. I've never actually seen it, but I've heard it's only in Mandarin, however the foodie movement might have inspired them to print it in English as well.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:55 PM

164 posts, read 382,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keagan.s View Post
Anyway, probably my biggest complaint is the general lack of ethnic options with any kind of authenticity. I’d do just about anything at this point for some amazing Mexican food – the kind of place that has mole on the menu and serves up fresh, handmade tortillas (and probably serves Menudo on the weekends). Chilaquiles would be amazing, too. Barring that, I’d even be happy to find some relatively authentic Mexican street food (sopes, tortas, tamales, even traditional tacos). But I get sent to places like El Rancho Grande or Elsa’s – not terrible or anything, but not very authentic and really not going to satisfy a craving for Mexican food for me – if they’ve got fries and mozzarella sticks on the menu, and serve crunchy tacos, I’ll probably be disappointed.

After Mexican food, I probably miss Cuban and Filipino cuisine the most. I can give a little on authenticity here since these kind of places are harder to find even back home, but it’d be nice to have some options.

Then there’s Japanese food – forget the sushi since we’re so far from the coasts and I don’t expect anything amazing, but Japanese cuisine offers so much more than sushi and tempura, and I miss it. So, that would be nice to find too.
Yeah, I will definitely agree that many of the so-called "authentic" recommendations from locals since I moved here about 8 years have fallen flat or been rather disappointing.

When it comes to Mexican, I have always been a huge fan of Taqueria Mixteca downtown. Not the most massive menu (I don't know if they have mole) but delicious grub. I actually really enjoyed a dish (forget the name) of beef, chicken, chorizo, peppers, and onions at Las Piramides in Centerville last month, too.

Japanese can be difficult but I think our favorite Thai and Sushi (nigiri) is at Siam Pad Thai up at Wilmington and Dorothy - great stuff, and BYOB! When it comes to rolls, however, Kabuki in Centerville is tops in my book; their Korean dishes - and the Bi Bim Bap in particular - are also delicious. No, we're not on the coasts, but I've had sushi all over the world and I'm always satisfied at both.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 517 times
I second the motion for Taqueria Mixteca. On the weekends, in addition to menudo, they have birria and pozole. We lived in Mexico for a couple of years and this is the closest I've found in the area. Their mole is a bit sweet for my taste, but that was true for me in Mexico as well. The birria is my favorite, though some people may find it too spicy. The taquitos are also good. Still a lot on the menu I haven't gotten to yet.

As for Japanese, I second Sakai in Troy and also recommend Ariake in Miamisburg. These are the only two restaurants that I know in the area that cover a wide range of Japanese cuisine and do so fairly well. (For what it's worth, I lived in Japan and go there about once a year for work) That said, if your boyfriend isn't already familiar with Columbus, I'd recommend you try checking out the Kenny Centre Mall. They've got a lot of Japanese stores. My favorite being Belle's Bread. It is an excellent Japanese bakery. That and the Japanese grocery store take me right back to Japan. The curry pastry (kare pan) is sooooo good.

I'm still new to the area, so my knowledge is limited, but for Filipino cuisine there is Kawali in Fairborn. Also there is a new food truck called Asian Persuasion that has some dishes. (On my list to try, but haven't yet) For Cuban, I've got nothing. There is La Columbiana which offers Latin cuisine of a non-Mexican variety. I can't speak to the authenticity, but it tastes good so I say give it a shot.

Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton