Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 07:15 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I decided to spring for the DDN pay site, and so far I'd have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. Obviously, given the size of the area, there is only so much investigative journalism which can be performed, but so far I read a pretty thorough expose on the lack of transparency from the Dayton Development Commission, detailed expenditures from Ohio's US Congresspersons, and a more in-depth article on the three C's push for a 2016 political convention than could be found in the other Ohio newspapers.
Anyone else tried the site out yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 10:47 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
I've had access to the site for a while now, and I'd agree. Easy to use and I like it a lot.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:53 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,047 times
I have access. Generally, paywalls mean I stop using that site - but it's an addon benefit of having a Sunday subscription. When the subscription lapses, though, I'll probably not bother keeping digital access. Information is too readily available from other sources to pay for it.

The only thing that irritates me is the need to sign in again, and again, and again. It's all of my computers that are that way. No other site has that issue.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:38 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,752,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
I have access. Generally, paywalls mean I stop using that site - but it's an addon benefit of having a Sunday subscription. When the subscription lapses, though, I'll probably not bother keeping digital access. Information is too readily available from other sources to pay for it.

The only thing that irritates me is the need to sign in again, and again, and again. It's all of my computers that are that way. No other site has that issue.

No little box that says "Remember Me" to check mark?

Old 03-08-2014, 10:12 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
No little box that says "Remember Me" to check mark?
CP--

I click it every time, but it doesn't do anything. It's the same issue on all three of my computers, and is a problem exclusive to the DDN's website.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:01 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,301,148 times
Sorry to **** on your parade, Natural, but every single article that I've seen with the "read more" behind the paywall, has been found via Google.I think some people are swiping and reposting the articles, but I say it's fair game. The one article about Barrington Apartments being shut down was on some insurance agent's site, which I thought was a bit strange

Old 03-09-2014, 11:06 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,301,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
CP--

I click it every time, but it doesn't do anything. It's the same issue on all three of my computers, and is a problem exclusive to the DDN's website.
Are you possibly logging in under different ip addresses? Could be why

Old 03-09-2014, 01:19 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
Sorry to **** on your parade, Natural, but every single article that I've seen with the "read more" behind the paywall, has been found via Google.I think some people are swiping and reposting the articles, but I say it's fair game. The one article about Barrington Apartments being shut down was on some insurance agent's site, which I thought was a bit strange
I think $4/week is a small price to pay to support investigative journalism, which is pretty much on its last leg in this country. Pretty soon, we'll all be getting our news from Facebook and TMZ.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:17 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,752,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I think $4/week is a small price to pay to support investigative journalism, which is pretty much on its last leg in this country. Pretty soon, we'll all be getting our news from Facebook and TMZ.
Maybe not. Windows 8.1 has this "News" connection that contains "in depth" reports. Cox is not automatically connected yet (you have to manually add it, and then you get old stuff), but Cox is big enough to participate.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:15 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
Interestingly, I just got an email from the DDN stating they were sorry about recent service interruptions....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
View detailed profiles of: