Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 08:57 AM

108 posts, read 287,414 times

Advertisements

Hello all.
We are going back and forth on if we should have a new pool built for our home.

We would love to hear from anyone who has had a new pool built and either loves it, or regrets that the did it.

We have the space for it and then some, and we are only wanting a very small pool, no diving boards or slides.

My only concern is will our elec. bill jump up to the point that we will have to take out a 2nd mortgage.
Will our insurance go up?

We have 4 kids all older than 10 so we know that the pool would get used.

TIA,
J
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 09:09 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,490,397 times
I would say build it if the kids were younger like age 5 and older, because the teens lose interest in it real quick. I live in an established neighborhood and most folks love love love the pool for grade school age kids, but once they get older and out of the house, the pool becomes a burden.

I know several neighbors that have taken out their pools (cost about $8,000 to dig it out).

Now I also know 2 families that like the pools long-term because in one case the mom is a sun worshipper (she's an empty nester now) and the other is a grandma and the grandkids come over and swim since none of her grown kids have pools at their houses. So those 2 families have no regrets.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:15 AM

37,313 posts, read 59,977,052 times
I think if you do not have liability insurance with say 1MM basis you might consider pricing it--
while you hope accidents would never happen having a pool certainly widens the possiblity/seriousness of them

check your neighborhood--do most people have pools already or would adding a pool make you one of the few homes with one--this goes more to improving over your price point--
adding a new pool in an older neighborhood especially is not always a smart move financially---you certainly won't see a dollar for dollar improvment in market price

running the pump is the main expense in owning a pool--there are all kinds of computations about how to maximize the efficiency and minimize the cost of pool systems

check out a site called gardenweb.com--the building a home forum or the one on pools especially
great info on people who are pool builders/pool owners/mfg reps for pool equipment and some great photos
you have to join to post a query but don't think you will get lot of spam from it and the posters are knowledgeable and nice--
also people in this area post there so you can get info on local pool companies...
Swimming Pools and Spas - GardenWeb

our CPA was talking about putting in a pool in house they bought couple of years ago--his two children are female teens/high school and college--
said they distain the pool and he is really sorry that he put it in because it is just more maintenance/expense and no one uses it--at their previous house when the girls were younger, the pool was something they did use...so an example of previous post...

Old 01-15-2015, 01:13 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,644,494 times
Pools cost money every month. Electric, chemicals, labor, eventually remarcite, I would pass unless you are an avid swimmer or entertainer. They do look nice for parties etc. check out salt water pools for healthy options over chlorine. Word is chlorine isn't good for you to drink, not to mention swimming in it and possible skin reactions to the chlorine. Research,research research.....

Old 01-15-2015, 06:25 AM

41 posts, read 101,306 times
It all depends on your financial situation. Pool expense is peanut for some and caviar for others.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:53 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,414,547 times
The best advice I received from pool builders and realtors alike:
'if you want a pool, it's better to sell your house and buy one with a pool than to have one installed'

Old 01-15-2015, 04:10 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,539,535 times
Regarding jdallas' comment above- that's what we tried to do, but I will say that there was not one existing pool we looked at that didn't need $15k or so of work done. So I tend to agree with you if we are talking about a fairly new pool (5 years), but for a 10yr old pool, I don't think it is as clear cut. Plus taste varies SO widely. We began our search only looking at homes with pools then quickly realized it is sadly rare to find an existing pool that has been taken care of properly and didn't require an overhaul anyway, not to mention that we liked the looks of. My opinion is, if you feel like your family will really enjoy it and you can afford it, put one in. Shop around, get a good price, and put it in in the off season. Best of luck!

Old 01-15-2015, 04:28 PM

40,976 posts, read 49,295,196 times
This thread is 5 years old. I'd bet OP Built a pool.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:42 PM

108 posts, read 287,414 times
I forgot I posted this, sorry.
NOPE, we decided not to build a pool.
2 kids are in college now, 2 more have 2 yrs of HS left, so it worked out I guess?

Old 01-16-2015, 02:48 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,539,535 times
Good catch Rakin! I didn't even look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas