Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 02:49 PM

14 posts, read 94,422 times

Advertisements

I know there are many such posts. I did read many of them and got lots of valuable information. Also it's getting harder and harder to decide.

We're new to Dallas area and want to settle down here. Really want your suggestions for our family situation.

My husband's company is in Allen(close to I75). Our kids are 5 and 1. I'm a java developer and plan to look for job next year.

We're looking for:
1, good shools
2, 200k - 280k house price
3, new house or resale house after 2004
4, commute time for my husband like within 20 minutes even in rash hour
5, I can find a job and the comute time is withn 20 minutes

really appreciate any inputs. That would be great if you can give us the name of community names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 05:46 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
I would pick Allen.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:18 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,035 times
You would have a larger selection in Allen than Plano. The newer construction in Plano consists mostly of "zero lot line" aka homes with a very tiny yard. There are a few neighborhoods in East Plano such as Timber Brook Estates and Stoney Hollow where a few homes pop on the market below the 300K range occasionally.

Naima

Old 12-23-2008, 07:54 PM

70 posts, read 314,900 times
Frisco is out if u want to stay within 20 minutes of Allen in rush hour traffic.

Hard to find newer homes in Plano (unless u look toward west plano which is close to frisco n those are expensive).

Hard to go wrong with Allen. I would look at the list you made and point that Allen is probably a great fit. Every point except that your job location will be 20 min from home is almost surely a guarantee. (there is no way of knowing where your future job location might be). Someone else might have more info on the schools.

Look at this another way - in some ways its a good thing you have a list that points you toward Allen. Allen has recently been ranked very high among cities to live in (see recent post), plus you have all sorts of amenities (malls, shopping, grocery options including a new whole foods coming up, lots of restaurant choices) + u r close to Plano + u r close to the freeway that takes you downtown + its a good time to buy a house.....

Not too many things wrong with Allen....

Good luck!

Old 12-23-2008, 08:06 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,021,576 times
Why did you rule out McKinney. Plano would be the more established of the three and the oldest. If hubby is going to work in Allen I see no reason not to move to Allen. They all offer great schools and communities. I would chose Allen over Frisco but it would be based strictly on personal preference. There is nothing wrong with Frisco at all.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:52 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newer View Post
I know there are many such posts. I did read many of them and got lots of valuable information. Also it's getting harder and harder to decide.

We're new to Dallas area and want to settle down here. Really want your suggestions for our family situation.

My husband's company is in Allen(close to I75). Our kids are 5 and 1. I'm a java developer and plan to look for job next year.

We're looking for:
1, good shools
2, 200k - 280k house price
3, new house or resale house after 2004
4, commute time for my husband like within 20 minutes even in rash hour
5, I can find a job and the comute time is withn 20 minutes

really appreciate any inputs. That would be great if you can give us the name of community names.
Well first of all, I would rule Plano out because most homes are a little older and out of your price range. Most new construction is in West Plano, which is a more expensive area and more than 20 minutes from Allen.

Frisco is a very nice city/suburb that has a lot of new houses in your price range. You would need to live on the east side to be within 20 minutes of Allen. Everything is new there and there is a ton of shopping, restaurants, etc. The schools are very good and it is very family-oriented. We moved to Frisco a couple of months ago and love it!

McKinney is also a very nice area. It is very similar to Frisco in that everything is new and there is a lot of shopping and restaurants. The schools are very good and it is also very family-oriented, just like Frisco. You would have no problem finding a house in your price range and within 20 minutes of Allen. It would be an easy commute as you would just head south down 75.

Also, you could just live in Allen. It is a very nice area that has grown a lot and still kept some of its small town feel. There is a lot of really nice houses in excellent neighborhoods that are ij your price range. There is a lot of shopping and restaurants, and even more on the way. It's very family-oriented and you would have a very short commute.

It just depends o where you want to live and what houses you like. I suggest that you come and visit these areas to see which one you like the best.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-26-2008, 09:48 AM

14 posts, read 94,422 times
Thank you all for your information! That help me defenitely.
I personally like Frisco since I rented here for several months now.
East Frisco is good in terms of commute time. But I didn't find very decent communities here (with decent builder). Maybe I was wrong. Could anyone know is there any good communities which provides lots of amenities and with good builder?
Twin creek in Allen also is an option. But school is my concern. How about allen schools? Are them also good like frisco schools?

Old 12-26-2008, 11:04 AM

Allen schools are better than Frisco schools in my opinion, not that Frisco schools are bad by any means. Allen is just more established, one high school town. Twin Creeks is a great area.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:59 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,021,576 times
Allen highschool is a mega highschool. They have a very very large student body and all activities are ultra competitive. This may or may not be a issue with you but those are the facts.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:53 PM

True, Allen High is a 5A school and the Frisco high schools are all 4A by design. The Allen 9th graders are in a Freshman Center. In Frisco the 9th graders are all in their high schools.

Frisco still has redistricting issues - attendance boundaries moving around, new high schools opening up, some schools overcrowded, some underenrolled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: