Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 10:24 AM

25 posts, read 39,936 times

Advertisements

Hello - We moved from West coast recently and I need to visit the DMV to get a Driver License( I have a california DL now)

Is there an option to schedule an appointment for DMV office visit. We used to have this option in California, not sure if Texas has this. I tried searching online but couldn't figure out. Can someone kindly post the link for scheduling

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 12:11 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,952 times
You have to get up really early in the morning and schedule an appointment with your local Public Safety Office depending on where you reside. I have dropped the link for you to use below. You can still walk-in but wait times can vary.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/administra...dex/search.asp

Old 08-17-2018, 12:25 PM

25 posts, read 39,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
You have to get up really early in the morning and schedule an appointment with your local Public Safety Office depending on where you reside. I have dropped the link for you to use below. You can still walk-in but wait times can vary.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/administra...dex/search.asp
Thank you so much..So I am assuming you have to book the slot on the same day and you cannot book something in advance say 1 week from now

Old 08-17-2018, 01:06 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,952 times
Make sure your documentation is on point. For proof of residency, they do not accept any mail with just your new address on it. It has to be a utility bill or bank statement etc. I showed the lady my Lexus financial statement with the new address but she refused to accept it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine0123 View Post
Thank you so much..So I am assuming you have to book the slot on the same day and you cannot book something in advance say 1 week from now

Old 08-17-2018, 01:06 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine0123 View Post
It's been a year since we did this for my daughter's appointment but we had to book several weeks out, maybe longer. There are other locations (not central to Dallas itself). If you don't find a close location with a quick appointment, consider driving further out.

Good luck and welcome to Texas.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:47 PM

422 posts, read 522,986 times
Does anyone know HOW early you have to get up to try for a early-to-mid-morning appointment? It seems as though they take the system offline when the offices are closed. What time does it come back online? Thanks.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:04 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,265 times
I have had to get DL for 2 teenagers in the last 5 years. You can book an appointment online if you are going to go to one of the "Supercenters". Appts. are a few months out for new license/ new drivers, but no idea time frame for just changing states. If you are only going to the little DL offices (like where no driving tests are given), there is one of those next door to my office. All I can tell you is that when I drive by at about 7:45am every day, there are 50-100 in line waiting for doors to open. Also, I had to go for myself one day, and went at 3pm, but they were no longer allowing people to stand in line. This was at one of the Supercenters (about the size of a Walmart Supercenter, so maybe holds 1000 people or so?) and then there was a line from the desk inside, through to the outside and around the building, so another 1000 people or so. It's not fun. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2018, 03:43 PM

Thanks for your feedback, Marsha. This is one of those situations where a mandatory appearance at a DPS MegaCenter is required for DL renewal (not all DL renewals can be done online). But appointments are not given for DL renewals...All we can do is "Get In Line Online". That scheduling system lets you book a place in line ahead of time, but is not an actual appointment.

Anyway, just trying to figure out what time I need to get up in the morning to get a before-noon appointment. Anybody?

Old 11-07-2018, 04:08 PM

36 posts, read 73,404 times
At exactly 7AM, you can virtually get in line. Usually gives you 8:30 slot. around 7:30, link will no longer work as all slots have been given out.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:09 PM

Ouch. Thank you Ifew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas