Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 08:12 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times

Advertisements

Smoking is a bad choice.
Diabetes 2 can be avoided and greatly reduced depending on foods and exercise.

Both choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 08:33 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Smoking is a bad choice.
Diabetes 2 can be avoided and greatly reduced depending on foods and exercise.

Both choices.
Sure. But what do doctors do for people who refuse to quit smoking, lose weight, and exercise?

Old 05-28-2017, 09:03 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
...and diabetes 2 are major causes of the modern diseases. And both are easily avoided.
Damn, I could have easily avoided diabetes? Why didn't I think of that? Here I am, weighing 119 pounds and eating good healthy food all my life and then boom diabetes type 2 hits me, but I could have ducked, I guess? And the diabetes genes that I got from my mother and grandmother, I could have ducked them too? Well, I'll be. Thanks so much for pointing this out to me.

You must be the best doctor in the world, having so many advanced degrees in medicine, doing research, and lecturing at universities, and all that. Oh wait...

Old 05-28-2017, 09:13 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Sure. But what do doctors do for people who refuse to quit smoking, lose weight, and exercise?
That is a major problem in our population, people do NOT take responsibility for their own health.

But they moan and groan about insurance prices.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
That is a major problem in our population, people do NOT take responsibility for their own health.

But they moan and groan about insurance prices.
I totally agree.

Should we punish them by withholding a medication that might help save them from their folly?

Old 05-29-2017, 04:34 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,417,998 times
Suzy Q,

If you tell people these diseases are a natural result of aging, and/or because of genetics, then WHY would they bother improving their lifestyle?

If you tell them the drugs are good for them, are harmless and healthy, then WHY would they be afraid to take them? WHY would they go to all the trouble of exercising, if it would not prevent the diseases?

Old 05-29-2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Suzy Q,

If you tell people these diseases are a natural result of aging, and/or because of genetics, then WHY would they bother improving their lifestyle?

If you tell them the drugs are good for them, are harmless and healthy, then WHY would they be afraid to take them? WHY would they go to all the trouble of exercising, if it would not prevent the diseases?
The fact is that atherosclerosis starts at an early age. Lifestyle changes can slow it for some, not all people.

Just ask any internist or family medicine doctor what percentage of people advised to stop smoking or lose weight or exercise actually do it.

It seems logical that if a doctor tells you to do those things, you do it. The harsh truth is that many will not. Lifestyle changes are recommended for everyone with lipid abnormalities, whether they have a genetic condition or not.

Prescription of any drug needs to include a discussion of benefits and risks. You wish to highlight the risks and discount the benefits of statins. The experts who have developed guidelines for statin treatment consider both.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The fact is that atherosclerosis starts at an early age. Lifestyle changes can slow it for some, not all people.

Just ask any internist or family medicine doctor what percentage of people advised to stop smoking or lose weight or exercise actually do it.

It seems logical that if a doctor tells you to do those things, you do it. The harsh truth is that many will not. Lifestyle changes are recommended for everyone with lipid abnormalities, whether they have a genetic condition or not.

Prescription of any drug needs to include a discussion of benefits and risks. You wish to highlight the risks and discount the benefits of statins. The experts who have developed guidelines for statin treatment consider both.
If patients understood that these diseases are almost entirely caused by the western industrial lifestyle (which is the truth), they would take the lifestyle advice much more seriously.

If they are told the diseases are inevitable, and can only be slowed by lifestyle improvements, they will take the advice less seriously.

If they are told the drugs are safe and side effects are rare (which is not true), they will be happy to take the drugs.

If they are told the drugs are highly effective (which is not true) they will trust the drugs and be less careful about lifestyle.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:29 PM

I do not think people are stupid. I think they are often ignorant and gullible and misinformed. When they know the facts, they can make good decisions.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:56 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
I do not think people are stupid. I think they are often ignorant and gullible and misinformed. When they know the facts, they can make good decisions.
That's an idealistic view of human nature, unfortunately. How many of us have known people who, when advised to stop smoking, continued smoking? I was even told of someone who had lung cancer and kept right on smoking until he died!

Doctors usually do try to convince people to change their lifestyles but there are a lot of people who can't be bothered. If people were willing to change their eating and exercise habits would we see the number of obese people that we see these days?

It also depends upon which doctor you see. Sounds like, from your experiences, you have seen the "bad" kind who just prescribes pills and also the "good" kind who will make sure the person is aware of ways they could take charge of their own health. Many people do want information so that they can make good decisions but it seems like there are a lot of people who would rather take the easy way out. Doctors have to contend with both types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals