Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 01:10 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,283 times

Advertisements

Head desires but body is too old

I have started to seen marks that I cannot do same things at same level of quality than before, I guess that means I am becoming old

So I am starting this diary for me to convince me I don't have to reach my best results but go on just because I like it.

Because especially yesterdays ballet class was terrible to me even teacher complimented my several movements.

But my legs felt so heavy Also I have to drop some movements due to back problems.. Back problems, what are those? I was the one who had no problems, where are these problems coming from?

I am a swinger what comes to sports, I swich time to time except dance is what always stays. I have done almost all, at least tried once to know what I like. Sometimes rough, sometimes slow.

My this moments list is

ballet
different yoga styles
pilates
belly dance
latin dances
gym

I do group classes, private classes, special courses, practises at home on my own. I do at least one hour a day but if there is special courses going on I can do 8 hours a day.

I have no goals but only enjoy of what I am doing. My question to me is: Can I find my enjoyement meanwhile I am starting to go old and things are not easy and smooth anymore and I have to leave some movements out....

This is not daily diary but rather irregular motivation check to see if I am losing my inspiration and desire due to my new limited options in movements. At least not just to list sports but more like a seeking trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 06:41 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Head desires but body is too old

I have started to seen marks that I cannot do same things at same level of quality than before, I guess that means I am becoming old

So I am starting this diary for me to convince me I don't have to reach my best results but go on just because I like it.

Because especially yesterdays ballet class was terrible to me even teacher complimented my several movements.

But my legs felt so heavy Also I have to drop some movements due to back problems.. Back problems, what are those? I was the one who had no problems, where are these problems coming from?

I am a swinger what comes to sports, I swich time to time except dance is what always stays. I have done almost all, at least tried once to know what I like. Sometimes rough, sometimes slow.

My this moments list is

ballet
different yoga styles
pilates
belly dance
latin dances
gym

I do group classes, private classes, special courses, practises at home on my own. I do at least one hour a day but if there is special courses going on I can do 8 hours a day.

I have no goals but only enjoy of what I am doing. My question to me is: Can I find my enjoyement meanwhile I am starting to go old and things are not easy and smooth anymore and I have to leave some movements out....

This is not daily diary but rather irregular motivation check to see if I am losing my inspiration and desire due to my new limited options in movements. At least not just to list sports but more like a seeking trip.
you just might have motivated me... I was always into the gym.. aerobics or some type of fitness regime till a few years ago..... I had exercised in the morning doing some tummy cruches which I hate and an hour or so later took the most awful pains in my chest.. honestly thought it was heart attack as I was bent over the couch with the horrible sickly pain and when it didnt subside when lying or trying to lie down I panicked and tried to phone my husband, couldnt get hold of him at work and had to phone an ambulance, anyway heart was ok.. but got taken in to hopital and had loads of small gallstones floating around.. and had to have the operation to remove it a few months later.... However this has scared me of doing any type of exerices now. it really has..... it probably wasnt the crunches that caused it at all but still worried me.. It cant possibly happen again as the gallbladder is gone.. but must be in my head now..... Hopefully after reading your post Ill start to dance around the living room to music more and do some stretching exercise like pilates might be better now at age 69..

Old 04-28-2016, 12:41 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
I am 66 and didn't start dancing until two years ago. At least not any kind of regular dancing (which I only did as a teen) I fell in love with belly dance and have been taking regular classes. Until recently was also taking Latin based Zumba classes which I love, I also go out and just do improvised dancing to several local bands that I like. Dancing is so much fun! And the belly dance really keeps one flexible.

Along with the dancing, I ride my bike daily, and several times a week do a few sets of light strenght training. All of this has improved my condition greatly fro even 10 - 15 years ago. I have a lifelong history of back issues including scoliosis, stenosis, and injuries. I will never stop dancing!

Old 05-18-2016, 11:12 AM

Just keep going, girls!

My few days dance work shops went allright, althought I got my legs a bit sore. Planning the summer classes.

I am thirsty for the new hobby, or then something what has been on the break long time.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:44 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,057,672 times
How about feeling like a teenie bopper and then you look in the mirror and say, "Yikes! Who's that old lady?" Been there, done that!

Old 06-21-2016, 01:51 PM

I did my regular leg training on gym today and I don't think I am able to walk tomorrow. Maybe I have to use less weights or something

145 kg is like Snap, crackle and pop on gym, wrists popping, knees snapping, ankles crackling..

Old 12-03-2016, 08:30 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,383 times
I am over mid-60's. For the past couple months I've been doing some pretty strenuous work (for me). Lots of up and down ladders, lots of reaching up doing things above my head, lots of crouching or sitting on the floor doing stuff then having to get up. My lower back is seriously sore (it's not out or anything, I know what that feels like) but it gets really sore and the only thing that seems to help is just not straining it for a while. My legs are seriously weak and getting up and down is difficult, I must use my arms to help pull myself up.

My hands seem to have lost strength also. My balance is pretty good, it's just a lack of overall strength. At my age, do you think there's any hope of getting some of this strength back? And how would I ever do that? I'm pretty busy, but it's not always things that would be like strength training, and not much aerobic, like running or walking miles. Any suggestions?

Old 12-03-2016, 09:04 PM

54 posts, read 41,153 times
letting your body get weak, as you age, is deadly-dangerous. Were you hitting the gym, doing ab and back exercise, limiting fat, sugar and calories, taking supplements, doing serious aerobics? Once you're 65-70, you can no longer gain muscle mass, and a bit older, you start losing some, no matter what you do. So you'd best have some EXTRA by that age, or you'll soon be unable to do jack squat. Load bearing exercise strengthens your bones and tendons, too, not just your muscles.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:16 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,383 times
So I guess you're saying I'm stuck with what I got, right?

Old 02-28-2017, 01:03 AM

678 posts, read 438,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
I am over mid-60's.
doing strenuous work (for me). Lots of up and down ladders, lots of reaching up doing things above my head, lots of crouching or sitting on the floor doing stuff then having to get up. My lower back is really sore and my legs are seriously weak and getting up and down is difficult, I must use my arms to help pull myself up. My hands seem to have lost strength also. My balance is pretty good, it's just a lack of overall strength. At my age,
do you think there's any hope of getting some of this strength back? And how would I ever do that? Any suggestions?
Very seldom do I respond to posts like these as most people are stuck;
not so much in their body as in mind. But since you ask for suggestions: Two of the most important practices...:
1. Imagine yourself as a little child , emphasis on little. Think of activities that to you are FUN...
the kinds of maybe sports that you are soo passionate about, nothing stops you from enjoying... ,
know what I mean? Focus... on the fun. Imagine yourself doing it, with everything you've got. (And
Never left fool(s) talk you out of it, they're everywhere). You just envision yourself as having the time of YOUR life.
plus
2. pay no mind to currently weak arms, back, legs, what-ever. You have some sport-like activity that keeps you soo riveted, you can't help but GO for it. Such exemplary people (even athletes chronologically up to 90's are here cheering you on, just look in U-tube. Since they DO it), so as well can you, or anyone for that matter. I could tell you my sport, but you focus on yours. God created you to enjoy FUN here too. in so doing you praise God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals