Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 19 days ago)

35,670 posts, read 18,040,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
This is happening so much now with these new female teachers that it makes you wonder what kind of screening process the schools use to hire these individuals. How on earth could someone like this make it through student teaching without raising some serious red flags?
The thing is, it's not really happening "so much". This is EXTREMELY rare. But it does make the national news, every time it happens which makes it appear to be kind of common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:17 AM

7,969 posts, read 3,506,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
for the same reason so many men do it knowing it will blow up their lives?
Do male teachers still do this at the same frequency as female teachers? Seems you hear more stories about female teachers nowadays. I think maybe the men know they'll get no sympathy from anyone while the women hear men saying "where were these teachers when I was a kid?" and similar comments. There's not the same universal condemnation for female teachers as there is with men.

Old Today, 08:31 AM

102,240 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Maybe we need to go back to teachers being intimidating and business like, not someone you invite on a family vacation. That shouldn't even be allowed by the school, it crosses a line. It isn't fair to the other students or parents.
Good point.

Old Today, 08:48 AM

36,606 posts, read 30,939,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Its one thing to "lack awareness of the world you live in". Its another thing to be paranoid.

I went to public school. My wife went to public school. Both my children went to public school. In fact, I have trouble thinking of someone I know who went to private school or was home-schooled. Please don't insult me for making a decision that you disagree with.

Parents need to be aware. Children need to be trained to recognize a potential predator and taught what to do if someone makes them feel uncomfortable.

Other than that I would say going to public school is part of preparing children to live in a world with many other types of people. There is some bad to it, but there is much more good.
Exactly.

Most home-schooled kids in my area that I know of are either Mennonites or Jehovahs. Most of whom do not go to college and dont seem to function well outside of their environments.

While I am a supporter of homeschooling, most families are not equipped to do so. I have to say IMO the schools in my district are doing a pretty good job (so far) and I have known a lot of excellent teachers.

Yes, parents need to be aware of what is going on in the school and with their children and be involved with the school (PTA), school board meetings, parent/teacher meetings, volunteering, etc. as much as possible.

Old Today, 09:18 AM

6,101 posts, read 2,881,953 times
The quality of new educators is quite lacking, and I'm not saying that all new educators are like this woman. I graduated from high school in 2018. There was quite a difference in the quality of education I received from recently graduated teachers and teachers with tenure. The tenured teachers actually taught. The younger teachers read bullet points off of PowerPoint presentations while trying to become everyone's friend. The number of younger teachers I had that had no business being in a classroom was frightening! Now, not all younger teachers are bad, but quite a few of them are, and it's disproportionately so when compared to older teachers.

This is just one of the many complaints I have about modern education.

Old Today, 09:19 AM

17,427 posts, read 16,597,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The thing is, it's not really happening "so much". This is EXTREMELY rare. But it does make the national news, every time it happens which makes it appear to be kind of common.
I'm sure there is some truth to that but I guess it never even dawned on me that a grown young woman would be physically attracted to a 10 or 11 year old boy. The women who do this sort of thing have warped thought processes. There has to be a screening process to detect strange, perverted attitudes about children.

We always worry about the scary bad men out there but, as a parent, I never worried about a female teacher coming on to my 5th graders. That just wasn't even a possibility in my mind. That sort of thing simply doesn't happen.

I guess that is now another worry for parents. This world has become such a scary place.

Old Today, 09:28 AM

28 posts, read 4,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Exactly.

Most home-schooled kids in my area that I know of are either Mennonites or Jehovahs. Most of whom do not go to college and dont seem to function well outside of their environments.

While I am a supporter of homeschooling, most families are not equipped to do so. I have to say IMO the schools in my district are doing a pretty good job (so far) and I have known a lot of excellent teachers.

Yes, parents need to be aware of what is going on in the school and with their children and be involved with the school (PTA), school board meetings, parent/teacher meetings, volunteering, etc. as much as possible.
You have to dig in deeper, and see who is setting the foundation for the children. These "powers that be" don't have your children's best interests in mind or yours. That should more obvious now, as "they" (the power structure) are not even trying to hide their agenda. It should be clear, the type of citizen they want to have. This also has extended into the corporate world, where most of these obedient people are getting the best, higher paying jobs. Not because of ability or talent, but because they fit into their system.

I also went to public schools because my parents were immigrants and respected authority too much. I mostly had a good experience because I was a top athlete, a good student, was taller than most my age, and a rather good looking person. This helped. However, looking back, the bad apples at the school (mostly degenerate students who were drinking, drugging, and having sex) were not good to be around. Rubbing elbows with these students was not productive. That is the reality of the public schools, and if you deny that, you are living in a delusion and are overly optimistic about the value of public schooling.

I also think that people that have children without consideration about how they are going to educate them, or help set them up for success, don't understand their world. It is not their fault for the most part, because they haven't done the work to understand what is going on. This lack of awareness is not an excuse anymore, especially if they are reading this. You have to protect your children and set them up for life long success. This is important not only for you and them, but for your extended family and the community.

Old Today, 10:01 AM

6,101 posts, read 2,881,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Extremely? There's a new story about teachers sexually abusing or raping their students every week! Now, I get that fifty-two stories per year doesn't make it common, given how just how many educators there are in this country, but that doesn't make it "extremely rare". I believe the number of teachers charged each year is between two and three hundred and that number is higher than in past decades. So, either it's just being reported more and more people are being charged or there's an epidemic of pedophiles choosing the teaching profession. You always have to be on guard with people who choose to work with children. Are their motives innocent or purposeful?...

I think what's more shocking to people is that almost all the perpetrators are women. It upends decades old stereotypes that parents only need to watch over their daughters with male teachers...

Old Today, 10:57 AM

19,700 posts, read 12,275,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Extremely? There's a new story about teachers sexually abusing or raping their students every week! Now, I get that fifty-two stories per year doesn't make it common, given how just how many educators there are in this country, but that doesn't make it "extremely rare". I believe the number of teachers charged each year is between two and three hundred and that number is higher than in past decades. So, either it's just being reported more and more people are being charged or there's an epidemic of pedophiles choosing the teaching profession. You always have to be on guard with people who choose to work with children. Are their motives innocent or purposeful?...

I think what's more shocking to people is that almost all the perpetrators are women. It upends decades old stereotypes that parents only need to watch over their daughters with male teachers...
They used to get away with it more often. Now there are texts and cameras to catch it. It's amazing how long they can be doing it, and other students know about it but no one wants to talk.

At my school there were a couple of teachers spending personal time with students and they just kind of disappeared. All of a sudden there would be a new teacher and Mr. Thomas never even said goodbye to the class. Never heard of any arrests though. It just went away.

I don't recall any female teachers behaving strangely but most were older and pretty formal, more like aunties than hotties. Even the young ones were kind of nerdy and some were just weird. There was one flirtatious female teacher who had a crush on the male teacher in the adjoining room and wouldn't leave him alone. We had fun with that.

Old Today, 11:29 AM

2,915 posts, read 2,159,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Do male teachers still do this at the same frequency as female teachers? Seems you hear more stories about female teachers nowadays. I think maybe the men know they'll get no sympathy from anyone while the women hear men saying "where were these teachers when I was a kid?" and similar comments. There's not the same universal condemnation for female teachers as there is with men.
no idea. my comment was to someone who asked why women do this, not numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events