Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 07:27 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
No, no it's not. From the article linked below:

The odds are about 1 in 11.5 million that you'll be attacked by a shark, and only about 1 in 264 million that you'll die that way.

In fact, you're more likely to die from:

Falling coconut: 1 in 250,000,000 (coconuts kill about 150 people every year.)
Plane crash: 1 in 11,000,000
Drowning in the bathtub: 1 in 685,000
Falling out of bed: 1 in 2,000,000
Terrorist attack 1 in 9,300,000
Hit by lightning 1 in 10,000,000

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/comin...k-we_b_3740495

I feel badly that so many live in fear over such long odds.
Yes, it is. As another poster pointed out, I was not speaking specifically about being bitten by a shark in the water. If you had read my other post, you would have seen that I specifically referenced drowning. In fact, you even referenced drowning in your ^^ stats, so, yeah, water is dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 11:13 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,951,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Yes, I've seen videos of large sharks throwing themselves onto a beach to get at whatever they want to eat. Humans are just as good as anything else. And to those who think she was mistaken to be a seal. Sharks are not stupid. The water is their kingdom. They are predators, and will eat whatever they want. They can also capsize whatever you are on be it paddleboard, surfboard, etc. Humans are easy pickins.
When I was 18 years old, I was snorkeling off one of the Greek Islands when I was caught in a rip tide and looked up to find myself far from shore and being pulled out of the bay. Although I had no idea what type of animals were near the Island (other than jellyfish), one thing I knew for sure was that whatever movement I made in the water better have rhythm. If I trashed around, or appeared like a weak sick animal, I was at higher risk.

It sounds like she fell off her board, he didn't. Just the effort of getting back onto the board would seem like thrashing around, might seem like weakness to a shark, a meal with toothpicks. Taking a chunk out of her hip seems like knowing which part is tastier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 11:46 AM

88,526 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Now I am afraid of coconuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events