Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2023, 03:31 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times

Advertisements

Ok, so this isn't some story of something horrible that happen to someone, but it isn't an entirely good story either. It's about a man, Geoffrey Holt to be exact. He lived in a mobile home in New Hamsphire. Had a simple life, one to be expected of someone poor, working class at best.

All the people that felt sorry for him due to his "financial situation," do I have news for you!

Quote:
Residents would see Holt around town in threadbare clothes…
Quote:
His mobile home in the park was mostly empty of furniture -- no TV and no computer, either. The legs of the bed went through the floor.
Quote:
But Holt died earlier this year with a secret: He was a multimillionaire.
https://apnews.com/article/new-hamps...36b85dd563fb24

There is more to the story. Simply wanted to make the point that you never truly know someone, at least all about them. The next time you are in the streets and waiting for the traffic light to turn green is a spanking new shiny Porsche next to a have seen better days Mercury, maybe reality is not what it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2023, 06:06 AM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times
I think in most instances reality is what you see, you are what you drive I do believe is fairly accurate. I think a BMW or a beater does say something about the person's finances for the most part and one strange little man in NH won't change my opinion. Despite his wealth he chose a simple life that made him happy, good for him and for donating his estate to better the town. But he is an outlier.

Old 11-22-2023, 07:35 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I think in most instances reality is what you see, you are what you drive I do believe is fairly accurate. I think a BMW or a beater does say something about the person's finances for the most part and one strange little man in NH won't change my opinion. Despite his wealth he chose a simple life that made him happy, good for him and for donating his estate to better the town. But he is an outlier.
There are many examples of people driving lower end cars that are wealthy. Warren Buffet drives a 2014 Cadillac XTS. My Grandfather drove a beater minivan despite a net worth of 3 million dollars. My parents drove a Toyota Prius despite having a net worth of 2.5 million dollars. I drive a 2018 f-150 xl (lower-end trim) although I could pay cash for almost any vehicle.

On the flip side I have known people making under 20 dollars an hour with no savings driving 40k muscle cars. Drive by any trailer park or apartment complex and you will see several upscale automobiles.

I look at people driving high-end cars as insecure people that have access to credit. I don't care what anyone thinks; a car is merely a form of transportation. Spending 30 -40k more than required on a vehicle to impress strangers is mal-investment.

Old 11-22-2023, 07:42 AM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I worked in banking for a lot of years, and I learned pretty quickly that you can’t judge a book by its cover.

But there were more flashy types bouncing checks than there were shabby millionaires.

Old 11-22-2023, 07:59 AM

16,317 posts, read 8,150,917 times
I saw this story and hadn't had a chance to read it. Very refreshing as everyone seems to spend all that they have these days to impress others. I am curious as to what he invested in.

Old 11-22-2023, 07:59 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
There are lots of people out there like him. There are also a lot of people with nice things who can't afford them.

Old 11-22-2023, 08:37 AM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
There are many examples of people driving lower end cars that are wealthy. Warren Buffet drives a 2014 Cadillac XTS. My Grandfather drove a beater minivan despite a net worth of 3 million dollars. My parents drove a Toyota Prius despite having a net worth of 2.5 million dollars. I drive a 2018 f-150 xl (lower-end trim) although I could pay cash for almost any vehicle.

On the flip side I have known people making under 20 dollars an hour with no savings driving 40k muscle cars. Drive by any trailer park or apartment complex and you will see several upscale automobiles.

I look at people driving high-end cars as insecure people that have access to credit. I don't care what anyone thinks; a car is merely a form of transportation. Spending 30 -40k more than required on a vehicle to impress strangers is mal-investment.
Oh I know there are always exceptions. But they are exception. Go drive by a trailer park and count how many nice cars there are when compared to older, cheap cars. How many beaters do you see in driveways in the nicest suburb in any town?

Old 11-22-2023, 08:45 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
There are a lot of "car people" who truly love their high-end cars and aren't trying to please or impress anyone but themselves. You have your opinion; they have theirs.

We have always lived frugally by choice. We have lived in a tiny, non-upgraded house for 27 years and while our cars may be BMWs, they're also old beaters. (My husband has a shop and keeps them going). We don't take long or lavish vacations. I'm not into clothes or jewelry or, God forbid, plastic surgery. I think our casual friends and acquaintances would mostly be shocked if they knew our net worth, so we're more like the person in the OP. But I also don't think there's anything wrong with others openly enjoying nice things.

Old 11-22-2023, 08:46 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Lifes too short, do what works for you.

I now live a simple life with a simple place...I don't want nor need more.

P.S. I don't judge people wanting a really nice car, house, vacation or whatever as "trying to impress people", maybe they are, maybe they are not. Might be surprised to find out it just makes them happy and they don't care what you or anyone else thinks.

Old 11-22-2023, 08:50 AM

5,575 posts, read 6,501,669 times
It's all about individual priorities. People have all types of personalities and feelings about their lives. At my age I no longer feel sorry for anybody who cries "broke". What have they, and what do they, spend their money on? Not my business, and their financial situation is not my business either. So I am very cautious about donating MY hard earned money to anyone or any "new" charities that always seem to pop up this time of year. I do donate regularly to long-time, well known charities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events