Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 07:08 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
This is plain idiotic. Lots of people lose weight in prison. Look at that "dance mom" who served her time and came out something like 100 pounds lighter.

If prison is serving this guy enough calories to maintain a 440 pound body weight then that is just ridiculous and wasteful. Why aren't all the inmates huge if that's the case? He would be needing to eat over 5000 calories daily just to maintain that weight. And if he really is eating everything on his plate, that's on him. Why does the judge think that'll change once he's free? Is this guy likely to order a large pizza and only eat two slices along with a green garden salad? No way, he would inhale the entire thing and then order another one.

Stop coddling the criminals. It's not right.
Well that's one and she had gastric sleave surgery 3 months before going in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2023, 07:20 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Well that's one and she had gastric sleave surgery 3 months before going in.
She could have gotten the same results without the gastric sleeve surgery by simply eating the same amount. The gastric sleeve only prevents her from overeating, although some people figure out a way around that and go on to regain whatever they've lost.

I eat low carb - lean protein and non starchy vegetables. I get how trying to stay healthy in prison would be a challenge when they routinely serve things like bread, mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn, all covered in starchy gravy. There would be little I could eat on the plate - maybe a piece of processed turkey. I would have to add in some of those starchy carbs or my calories would be too low. I get it.

I don't know if they have packs or cans of tuna or chunk chicken in the prison commissary or if they can buy fresh fruit there. But if relatives put money in their commissary account that might be one way to supplement the prison diet.

I'm not saying it's easy or ideal but if you want an easy or ideal life and the freedom to choose what you eat, don't get yourself locked up in prison on the taxpayer's dime.

Old 11-17-2023, 07:39 AM

Also, if this guy killed his girlfriend because she scolded him about eating and leaving crumbs in their bed, it is highly unlikely that he was eating Keto then. His diet was lousy then and it's still lousy. Nothing has changed for him. Prison isn't a weight loss spa.

Old 11-17-2023, 07:56 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I thought losing weight was all about portion control?

Or maybe they should go back to the "grain and drain" (bread and water) diet. (Yeah, I know, so don't bother.)

It depends, movement counts, too. We have a lot of people in the nursing home who came in obese, eat the same 3 meals a day everyone else is served, and still don't lose weight, because they're very sedentary and their resting metabolic rate is extremely low (meaning they might gain weight eating the same amount of calories someone more mobile eats and doesn't gain weight).

Old 11-17-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It depends, movement counts, too. We have a lot of people in the nursing home who came in obese, eat the same 3 meals a day everyone else is served, and still don't lose weight, because they're very sedentary and their resting metabolic rate is extremely low (meaning they might gain weight eating the same amount of calories someone more mobile eats and doesn't gain weight).
Why wouldn't they be served fewer calories if losing weight could improve their health and even make them more independent again?

Old 11-17-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
She could have gotten the same results without the gastric sleeve surgery by simply eating the same amount.
There is a reason people have those procedures.

Totally not the point though.

Old 11-17-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Why wouldn't they be served fewer calories if losing weight could improve their health and even make them more independent again?
Seriously? Generally, when you go into the nursing home it because you are near the finish line. You pretty much have nothing left to live for. Your home is gone, your family pretty much gone, your friends, etc. The goal here is not to become more independent or improve your health (unless you are there just to convalesce). At this point in life they are't going to put elderly folks on a diet.

Old 11-17-2023, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Seriously? Generally, when you go into the nursing home it because you are near the finish line. You pretty much have nothing left to live for. Your home is gone, your family pretty much gone, your friends, etc. The goal here is not to become more independent or improve your health (unless you are there just to convalesce). At this point in life they are't going to put elderly folks on a diet.
I guess I was conflating skilled nursing rehab centers with end of life nursing homes.

At the same time, if too many calories is causing a patient to gain weight, that has to impact what little quality of life they have left.

Old 11-17-2023, 10:29 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:

First of all it's highly unethical to force someone to diet by not giving them the same portion as others. I don't think it would even be legal. Most of the time those people who are largely bed bound or w/c bound, it's too late. If you gain weight eating only 1500 calories a day, which is not a lot of food, there is not much room to go down, in any case. If the person has wounds and they aren't getting sufficient protein the wounds will never heal. And nursing homes are not going to spend the money to have people on high protein, low carb diets.

Someone can electively choose alternative menu items, but even the salad dressing we have is full fat, high in sodium, and the yogurt is cheap so has a lot of sugar. But like i said, once your resting metabolic rate goes down to a certain point, and the person can't move well, it's near impossible to lose weight.

Old 11-17-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I guess I was conflating skilled nursing rehab centers with end of life nursing homes.

At the same time, if too many calories is causing a patient to gain weight, that has to impact what little quality of life they have left.
Meh. Those in end of life nursing homes dont have much of a quality life left anyway. Most have limited mobility if not bed bound. They often keep them medicated as well. When you are at that point age wise/health wise food may be your primary if not only joy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events