Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 08:35 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times

Advertisements

^ Fair points. I'm thinking more along the lines of the title one schools my kids attended (for low income areas) where there were classes to teach "conflict resolution, use your words not your fist", etc, etc. Which is great if it's PART of the approach, however it seemed like an awful lot of the parents at these schools were of the mindset that it was ALL that was needed, a mentality that "the school has this, it's their job, not mine".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2023, 09:54 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I agree that as parents and as a society more needs to be done, BUT I also think part of the issue is that we have put too much responsibility on schools. So many parents have abdicated their role of teacher and disciplinarian, far easier to point the finger at schools and place the blame there. "I didn't fail my child, the school failed"
I'm not sure what the answer would be but I think that somehow we need to make the parents more responsible for their children's behavior, not the school systems.
These days, parents are paying astronomical housing prices and property taxes to get the kids into decent schools, and this often forces a household to hold two full-time jobs. Why should the parents not be able to offload any responsibility to the school when they are practically in wage slavery just to get their kids into said school? Shouldn't all that money be actually good for something? Or it's just pay and pay and pay some more, go to work all week and still be broke, and still have to do everything yourself because the people you paid to do it, still won't do it?

Old 11-17-2023, 10:45 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,238,982 times
It's heartbreaking how values have changed. When I was a kid, it would have been considered cowardly and shameful for 15 people to be involved in something like this. Yeah, kids fought but it was not considered manly or brave to gang up on one person. It's hard to understand how 15 kids thought, "Yeah, this is cool." What a bunch of cowards!

And it used to be that kids would step in and help end fights when things were going to far. Not anymore. It's hard to understand this lack of value for human life.

Old 11-17-2023, 11:02 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I say most of them "lay down with" their husbands or boyfriends. Please stop excusing the lack of paternal parenting by blaming women for having sex.

Perhaps we should focus on the fathers and their lack of involvement with their children.
There's plenty of blame to go around. Some women -- not all, not most, but some -- show absolutely no discernment whatsoever and will copulate with anyone they find attractive, no matter how disgusting his character might be. And some men -- not all, not most, but some -- completely abdicate their responsibilities and abandon the children they sired; or even worse, stick around but abuse them or corrupt them.

Old 11-17-2023, 11:17 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
These days, parents are paying astronomical housing prices and property taxes to get the kids into decent schools, and this often forces a household to hold two full-time jobs. Why should the parents not be able to offload any responsibility to the school when they are practically in wage slavery just to get their kids into said school? Shouldn't all that money be actually good for something? Or it's just pay and pay and pay some more, go to work all week and still be broke, and still have to do everything yourself because the people you paid to do it, still won't do it?
Why have kids at all if you just want to off load your responsibility. The teachers are there to teach academics. Many go above and beyond but it is still a parent's job to teach morality, civility, common sense, good manners, respect.

If you are in wage slavery to get your kids in "good schools" that is a choice you made, dont put it on the teachers or school system.

Old 11-17-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
There's plenty of blame to go around. Some women -- not all, not most, but some -- show absolutely no discernment whatsoever and will copulate with anyone they find attractive, no matter how disgusting his character might be. And some men -- not all, not most, but some -- completely abdicate their responsibilities and abandon the children they sired; or even worse, stick around but abuse them or corrupt them.
Yes but lets not take the small subset of the very lowest class of people and hold it as the norm.
The poster is blaming women having sex for poor parenting. Parenting takes two dedicated and involved parents, its not about who you slept with, its about what kind of parent they choose to be. Few single parents are the result of unprotected casual sex resulting in multiple baby daddies and baby mommas.

Old 11-17-2023, 12:05 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

I think most women show plenty discernment. But a woman lacking in education and judgment will not know what the correct criteria are to pick a 'good man' and will often fail to pick up on apparent red flags.

Women and men in pursuit of instant gratification and without much of a long-term horizon will not make good couples or produce children that will be a net benefit to their environment. They will produce kids in pursuit of instant gratification and without much of a long-term horizon.

But that's all very general. In detail, this kid was simply unlucky enough to attend a high school where the schoolyard is more like a prison yard. The question really is what to do with vicious teenagers who already are capable of extreme violence and have little regard for society's rules or values.

Old 11-17-2023, 12:39 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Oh, if only women were psychic.

I can't tell you how many women I know who thought they had married a good man only to find out the guy was worthless. So despite their best intentions, they ended up as single parents.

All of them work to support their children.

There's a lot of places to point fingers here, but blaming single mothers for making poor decisions is not helpful in the least.
Don't need to be psychic.

Just ask around the neighborhood and you'll find out what's going on.

Going back a handful of years, there were guys on daytime TV bragging how many kids they had with different woman.

Old 11-17-2023, 12:48 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
^ Fair points. I'm thinking more along the lines of the title one schools my kids attended (for low income areas) where there were classes to teach "conflict resolution, use your words not your fist", etc, etc. Which is great if it's PART of the approach, however it seemed like an awful lot of the parents at these schools were of the mindset that it was ALL that was needed, a mentality that "the school has this, it's their job, not mine".
To be fair...I can remember when the schools implied they could DO a better job of parenting kids than parents could. And maybe they still do.

Old 11-17-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Don't need to be psychic.

Just ask around the neighborhood and you'll find out what's going on.

Going back a handful of years, there were guys on daytime TV bragging how many kids they had with different woman.
Oh good grief. You think people only date someone in their building or on their block.
There are tons of men who were descent fathers for years who seemed to bail on their parenting responsibilities after a divorce (women too).
People change over time, the evolve or devolve.
You can marry a great person and 5 years down the road they become and alcoholic, addict, abusive or general jackhole or you can marry a kind of jackhole who 5 years down the road becomes a wonderful parent and spouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events