Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 03:08 AM

29,528 posts, read 22,735,060 times

Advertisements

Seems a bit shady with witnesses not being forthcoming.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/sou...-in-guatemala/

Quote:
The search is underway for a Southern California woman who disappeared while on a yoga retreat in Guatemala.

The missing woman, Nancy Ng, 29, from Monterey Park, disappeared on Oct. 19 at a retreat in Lake Atitlán, according to her family.

Nancy, a former Cal State L.A. student who works for the Alhambra Unified School District, had planned to relax at a week-long yoga retreat, something she had done for the second year in a row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 12:53 PM

10,588 posts, read 7,812,749 times
That's tough. A young woman traveling alone in a foreign country can be a target for disreputable persons.

OTOH, it could easily have been an accident such as drowning in the lake.

Old 11-05-2023, 01:04 PM

102,251 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Article said, the group was going to go out on the lake, so there could have been an accident on the lake. But it could have been anything. Maybe she left the retreat grounds and went into the village on her own. Some of the villages around the lake have been known in the past to harbor bandits that prey on foreigners hiking the volcanoes, and there's been other crime. But there's one village where North Americans have had winter vacation homes, that's pretty safe. But still... you never know.

Odd that there's not more info, considering she was with a group. And she'd been to the same retreat location last year, and loved it. No incidents that time.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-05-2023 at 01:12 PM..

Old 11-05-2023, 02:43 PM

10,172 posts, read 15,046,964 times
I wonder how common is that last name. Obviously it isn't common in the general population, but what about within the Chinese-American community?

I say that because one of the leaders (a woman to boot) of the Chinese-Dominican community in the Dominican Republic is Rosa Ng. She is a Chinese (father)-Dominican (mother from Santiago, DR) mix. Every Ng is related to her as Ng is a last name of one family (extended, not nuclear) as it isn't common. A part of the Ng's moved to the United States and by now had children there, whivh would make them American by birth. Is there a connection between this Ng lady (now missing person) and the Ng of the Dominican Republic? Are sll the Ng of the USA derived from the Dominican Ng or there is no connection?

It could explain the added (perhaps false?) sense of security of going to Guatemala (a Spanish-speaking country) on her own, at least with no one else from her family.

Old 11-05-2023, 06:59 PM

17,435 posts, read 16,608,757 times
It's concerning that the group of people that Nancy was reportedly with that day are not being forthcoming with investigators.

Old 11-07-2023, 01:28 PM

102,251 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It's concerning that the group of people that Nancy was reportedly with that day are not being forthcoming with investigators.
I wonder if they were threatened by someone, to silence them.

Old 11-07-2023, 05:07 PM

17,435 posts, read 16,608,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I hadn't even thought of that but I suppose that anything is possible. Scary world we live in.

Old 11-08-2023, 08:48 AM

22,387 posts, read 29,507,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Very possible. Scary for sure

Old 11-08-2023, 09:35 AM

2,255 posts, read 1,353,361 times
I had a colleague once whose family came to Canada as asylum seekers, and they had never been back since. According to her, GM was a scary place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I wonder how common is that last name. Obviously it isn't common in the general population, but what about within the Chinese-American community?

I say that because one of the leaders (a woman to boot) of the Chinese-Dominican community in the Dominican Republic is Rosa Ng. She is a Chinese (father)-Dominican (mother from Santiago, DR) mix. Every Ng is related to her as Ng is a last name of one family (extended, not nuclear) as it isn't common. A part of the Ng's moved to the United States and by now had children there, whivh would make them American by birth. Is there a connection between this Ng lady (now missing person) and the Ng of the Dominican Republic? Are sll the Ng of the USA derived from the Dominican Ng or there is no connection?

It could explain the added (perhaps false?) sense of security of going to Guatemala (a Spanish-speaking country) on her own, at least with no one else from her family.
Obama's maternal half-sister is married to an "NG". Her husband was born in Canada to a Chinese couple originally from Kudat Sandakan in Malaysia.
In other parts of the world, people with the last names of NG, WU, GOH .... and etc., have the same surname when written in Chinese 吴 . Take the former Canadian Governor-General, known only by her first husband's last name, Clarkson, she was born a POY and has the same Chinese character.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:15 AM

36,634 posts, read 30,953,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
I had a colleague once whose family came to Canada as asylum seekers, and they had never been back since. According to her, GM was a scary place.
I dont understand why anyone, especially a woman alone, would travel to GM knowing hundreds of thousands of GMs are fleeing the country in fear for their safety/life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events