Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 01:33 PM

1,111 posts, read 606,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
price your product within reason.[/i]

Whose reason do they get to use? Yours? Mine? Some crackhead? No. They can price how they see fit - if it's out of your budget - then don't buy it. Very simple. It's not intended to cause theft - but now it is priced that way BECAUSE OF theft, and to see at least some return on a product that is commonly stolen. Movies cost money to produce - you stealing it doesn't change that fact.
Of course they can price it how they see fit... that's my point.

They choose to price it high, what the "market can bear" pricing.

There are generally 2 ways to make profit - via margins VS quantity.

The company makes $1Billion in revenues for Barbie in the box office. Then they make another $400 million streaming. Now they can make even more $$$ selling the Blu - Ray.

I doubt they need to price the movie @ $50. But they will because they know they will get the buyers.

My point is then you will have a lot of ppl just pirating the movie because of the higher price tag. Versus if you priced it @ $30 or less you will sell a ton (quantity) more. You still make the profit because per unit cost of Blu-Ray is tiny.

Piracy is rampant when companies choose to make their products too expensive. The effort of piracy is then worth it for more ppl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2023, 06:00 PM

501 posts, read 195,888 times
Best Buy is essentially relinquishing their home video sales, SteelBooks included, to Amazon.

DVDs and CDs are still being manufactured. Don't believe me? Why are these deluxe box sets such hot sellers? They had to repress the last couple Thin Lizzy box sets because demand exceeded supply.

Thin Lizzy — Live and Dangerous

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1GJZM3EQ&psc=1

Jethro Tull — The Broadsword and the Beast–The 40th Anniversary Monster Edition

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Van Halen — The Collection II

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...4HO0J6U1&psc=1

Why does Japan keep making Blu-spec remasters that continue to sell? I have a number of them, myself. I have an extensive CD collection.

The used CD market is a robust one.

I have a good number of Blu-rays, which I try to buy more often than standard DVDs.

Old 10-17-2023, 06:05 PM

501 posts, read 195,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Too bad for collectors.

Lots of stuff is unavailable on streaming platforms. Some of it shows up on Pirate Bay, though.
Nah, it's easy to cry "Chicken Little" because Best Buy and Target don't attract the types of customers who shop for these any longer.

Tons of stuff is available on streaming, and that's partly because many titles have been rescued from obscurity and released in digital form for the first time.

Old 10-17-2023, 06:27 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiffuseGlow View Post
DVDs and CDs are still being manufactured. Don't believe me? Why are these deluxe box sets such hot sellers? They had to repress the last couple Thin Lizzy box sets because demand exceeded supply.
I hope so. I've been in the market for the entire Pink Floyd discography and am prepared to pay for it. There's something special about the real deal - physical media with images, information about the recordings, lyrics, etc.

Old 10-17-2023, 08:54 PM

689 posts, read 637,966 times
I am not a big fan of lugging around DVDs, CDs, and books. There are things with streaming that bug me as well:

(1) You never really own what you've purchased. It's more like a right to view the media.

(2) The streaming company knows everything your watching, when you replay certain scenes, when your watching it, and so forth. It's a total erosion of privacy.

(3) Your movies are available only if your streaming provider stays in business.

I could go on.

Old 10-17-2023, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post

(3) Your movies are available only if your streaming provider stays in business.
Or keeps hiking up the monthly fee, which is what keeps happening with software now that everything has been kicked over to the subscription model.

And where I live, broadband internet is extremely spotty. Most people don't have it. As a result, the library has a massive DVD movie collection and one of the supermarkets still rents movies like the old days of Blockbuster video, if you can believe that. There's also a Redbox at that supermarket.

Old 10-17-2023, 10:03 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
I haven't bought DVD's in years, though I have a decent collection of DVD/Blu-Ray movies. If it wasn't for my game console, which has the capability of playing video games, CD's and DVD's/Blu-Rays; chances are very high I would not have a DVD player despite the DVD collection. In fact, the only reason I still have my flatscreen TV is precisely due to the game console. I don't watch TV anymore.

I can't remember of a time I bought a DVD from some other store that wasn't Amazon.

Old 10-17-2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

I can't remember of a time I bought a DVD from some other store that wasn't Amazon.
I've purchased bootlegs or foreign releases on eBay or other websites.

Old 10-17-2023, 10:22 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
The physical media market is all but dead, but of course they've been saying that about radio for 50 years and there's still plenty of radio stations out there. There's always a niche case that keeps that stuff around. Just look at vinyl.

But there's a reason home media stores have been the biggest casualties in the retail transformation of the last 20 years. You go to a shopping mall in 1999 or 2003 and the stores selling CDs, DVDs and video games are among the busiest stores. Nowadays they basically no longer exist. And in stores that sell other stuff but also sell these things such as Target, Walmart or indeed Best Buy the relevant section shrinks every year. A part of that is that it's perfect for online retail and was one of the items online retail first focused on. You don't gain anything by buying a game or movie in a store. That process started even before the advent of streaming services.

The best reason to own physical media is honestly to own art that may eventually be declared 'illegal' or 'inappropriate' so no service will show it. I think having a physical copy of an old movie with a 'problematic' subject matter like Gone With The Wind might be very necessary for instance.

Old 10-17-2023, 10:42 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Too bad for collectors.

Lots of stuff is unavailable on streaming platforms. Some of it shows up on Pirate Bay, though.
The flea market I visit on most Sundays is absolutely [b]crawling/B] with DVD's and even VHS tapes. They're not going anywhere for a while on the secondhand market. New shows, though... probably will never show up on DVD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events