Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 11:16 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times

Advertisements

How have you all concluded that a scrawny 14 year old, a kid who was bullied in school (allegedly), was a member of a gang? Because he is Hispanic? Seems to me if he was a member of a gang his other members would have stood up for him, instead he needed his father's help getting back at the bullies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 01:29 PM

958 posts, read 1,105,271 times
^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^
To prove himself

Old 01-05-2022, 01:34 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
How have you all concluded that a scrawny 14 year old, a kid who was bullied in school (allegedly), was a member of a gang? Because he is Hispanic? Seems to me if he was a member of a gang his other members would have stood up for him, instead he needed his father's help getting back at the bullies.
Why? Gangs engage in cowardly activity all of the time, where they shoot and run. I and others are insinuating that his father was also a part of the gang.

This isn't what parents do to help their children get back at bullies, but has hallmarks of classic gang behavior.

Have you lived with inner city gangs in the modern era? I have, in New Orleans, Brooklyn, and Baltimore, and this kind of shoot and run behavior is exactly the kind of behavior I saw far too many a gang member engage in.

And I'm not giving any substance to your ethnicity question as it's completely off base and not supported by any of the posts here.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:45 PM

215 posts, read 127,162 times
This father ---just yikes! Why has no one talked about the Michigan shooting? Talk about messed up parents who should be in jail ---not saying the school shouldn't bear some of the resposnibility, but I can't get over the parents' role. So very sad all around.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:53 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
all the gangsters that support this insanity. that's how many. They protect each other.
nah........one will have a beef with someone and then snitch the kid out to the cops for a favor down the line.

Best chance is to run that kid into Mexico and let him be a national hero thug

Old 01-05-2022, 04:23 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Some people should just not be reproducing, for the sake of the human race. This is one of them.

Old 01-06-2022, 05:30 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Why? Gangs engage in cowardly activity all of the time, where they shoot and run. I and others are insinuating that his father was also a part of the gang.

This isn't what parents do to help their children get back at bullies, but has hallmarks of classic gang behavior.

Have you lived with inner city gangs in the modern era? I have, in New Orleans, Brooklyn, and Baltimore, and this kind of shoot and run behavior is exactly the kind of behavior I saw far too many a gang member engage in.

And I'm not giving any substance to your ethnicity question as it's completely off base and not supported by any of the posts here.
Well seeing as the father is in custody and was obviously at the scene you can't say this is not what parent do because that's exactly what this parent did. Gangs do not allow you to get your parents help to prove yourself. For you to claim the father was also a gang member, well that's a reach there. You have zero evidence of that. Other than his race of course.

I believe people are claiming he was in a gang for one reason, the same reason that white school shooter was not considered a member of a gang when he committed his crime.

Old 01-06-2022, 07:49 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Well seeing as the father is in custody and was obviously at the scene you can't say this is not what parent do because that's exactly what this parent did. Gangs do not allow you to get your parents help to prove yourself. For you to claim the father was also a gang member, well that's a reach there. You have zero evidence of that. Other than his race of course.

I believe people are claiming he was in a gang for one reason, the same reason that white school shooter was not considered a member of a gang when he committed his crime.
Yes, but you're ignoring the context. Nobody is saying that the guy wasn't a father helping his son commit a crime; hell, the name of the thread indicates that the guy was a father. The debate is whether this was a non-gang affiliated father just perversely helping his son confront a bully (execution style) or whether this was a father and son both involved in a gang. At least these are two theories put forward. As much as I hate gangs and deplore this act, I hope to god that this wasn't just some father helping his son kill someone. The gang theory is, in some ways, more kind to humanity as you can rationalize gangs having bad people and doing bad things. And, let's be clear: these were bad people. Good people don't sneak up on and gun down high schoolers in cold blood. But regular run of the mill citizens taking their minor children out to kill people?

And there is evidence to support a theory that this could have been gang related, which I explained based on my own experiences with gangs and understanding what gangs do. No, gangs aren't the only ones conducting these kind of hit and run shootings, but they were disproportionately involved in them in my experience. You may discount the evidence based on personal experience to support this theory, and that's fine.

Stop playing the race card. It's not a good look, though it says a lot that one is willing to jump to that conclusion without any evidence. Nobody mentioned ethnicity in this thread but YOU. Do you realize that, right? It is you who is trying to read people's minds and assign some kind of racial/ethnic motivations to our theories on what went down.

The white school shooter wasn't considered to be in a gang as we know a lot about him. And there is no evidence that he acted with another, as this 14 year old did; gangs don't usually act alone and, indeed, the very definition of a gang refers to a group of criminals. A better analogy for you would have been if people automatically jumped to a conclusion that a black, lone school shooter was in a gang.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 01-06-2022 at 08:30 AM..

Old 01-06-2022, 08:48 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:

I am not going to bother linking because it's paywalled but if you google the Dallas local news has an article that talks about gang related messages after the shooting.

Can't find anything about the dad having a gang affiliation and he is claiming he didn't know what his son was up to and that he just gave him a ride to the store and then all heck broke loose. Not sure I buy that story considering you can see the kid standing at the storefront just blasting away but I'll let the courts sort that one out.

I will say that typically when you see some kid gun down a bunch of other youths at a gas station etc. in a major city in the US then yes...it's almost always gang related. (school shootings are a different story)

Not sure which white kid you're referring too.

Old 01-06-2022, 09:10 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
https://www.fox4news.com/news/suspec...ims-police-say

The groups had shot at each other in November, sounds pretty gang related to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events