Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 12:13 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
“The Walking Dead” is one of at least 47 active Atlanta-based TV productions and the most popular of them all.

UPCOMING NEW SHOWS
[snip]
Quote:
THE WALKING DEAD -- The No. 1 rated show in the HISTORY of cable television -- is produced ENITIRELY in Metro Atlanta.

FAMILY FUED -- the No. 3 rated game show in America, is shot entirely in Atlanta.

THE VAMPIRE DIARIES, DEVIOUS MAIDS, and FX's "ARCHER" -- among countless Cartoon Network programs -- are produced entirely in ATLANTA.
And thank you for making my point for me.

The Walking Dead, a handful of cable series no one cares about, and 40 reality shows.

Sorry dude, being host to 15 HGTV host-and-a-cameraman shows does not put you in league with LA. You can roll all over the ground with your Steve Harvey posters. No.

And as I pointed out, the closest thing to a Little Hollywood is Canada, probably Ontario. Canada got hip to the tax credit deal way back. Ontario's annual film - not even TV - production is over a billion dollars. That's with a B. Georgia isn't even close.

Carry on.

Last edited by SquareBetterThanAll; 07-11-2014 at 12:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 12:51 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
And thank you for making my point for me.

The Walking Dead, a handful of cable series no one cares about, and 40 reality shows.

Sorry dude, being host to 15 HGTV host-and-a-cameraman shows does not put you in league with LA. You can roll all over the ground with your Steve Harvey posters. No.

And as I pointed out, the closest thing to a Little Hollywood is Canada, probably Ontario. Canada got hip to the tax credit deal way back. Ontario's annual film - not even TV - production is over a billion dollars. That's with a B. Georgia isn't even close.

Carry on.
GEORGIA-FILMED PRODUCTIONS GENERATE $3.3 BILLION IN FY13
Newsroom | Georgia Department of Economic Development

Georgia-filmed productions generate $3.3 billion in 2013
Georgia-filmed productions generate $3.3 billion in 2013 - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Georgia's film industry generates $3 billion+ in 2013
Georgia's film industry generates $3 billion+ in 2013 | The Buzz | www.accessatlanta.com

Carry on.

Last edited by Newsboy; 07-11-2014 at 02:02 AM..

Old 07-11-2014, 01:13 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Default How do people from different cities look at Cleveland?

Most likely from afar.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:26 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
Cleveland's more in the news and on T.V than a lot of other cities.

Hot in Cleveland.

The Drew Carrey Show.

All the movies that have been filmed in Cleveland (The Avengers, Fun Size, Criminal Activity, Spider Man, Draft Day, A

Christmas Story, ETC).

Cleveland has been mentioned in lots of T.V shows, whether it was a major line or just a joke or something. Grey's Anatomy mentioned Cleveland Clinic as a sister hospital to them.

Some kids show mentioned a bowling alley in Cleveland.

The orbit commercial where they talk about "Ancient Cleveland".

Family Guy's character Cleveland Brown (If you get the joke)

The endless list of songs and books written about Cleveland.

Cleveland being mentioned on late night talk shows (Good and bad)

I was in the Dominican Republic one time and I was talking to a local there and he asked where I was from, so I said Cleveland, and he said "Cleveland? That place is amazing! Cleveland is my favorite city!" I've also had people from different cities tell me how great Cleveland is and how lucky I am to live there.

Ohio is very important when it comes to politics, so Ohio and Cleveland are commonly mentioned in political news and elections and the national committees.

Cleveland is very commonly mentioned in other cities.
I applaud your loyalty to your city but this post comes off as just a bit desperate and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for fat-fingering the extra r in Drew Carey since I assume he's such an icon in Cleveland.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:45 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I was only illustrating my point. Anybody who thinks Cleveland is the new "Hollywood" is truly delusional.
Yes, but that point can be made just by showing that it's going on elsewhere. The "ATLANTA IS THE BIGGEST AND BEST" extra crap isn't necessary.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:52 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I consider Cleveland super ghetto and I'm from NYC.

This video sums up my thoughts.

Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: 2nd Attempt - YouTube

There are parts of the city that I stay away from for sure. But you could make the same case for any major city in this country. Downtown is actually quite safe, and as of late quite vibrant. BTW, that video was a spoof by a local comedian, whom I like, but wasn't a fan of this video. While he thought that he was being funny, it only feeds into the negative stereotype, which it appears that you bought into.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:03 AM

493 posts, read 639,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
How I see it: A once-great city that fell on hard times and is successfully struggling back - unfortunately still too poor to be a much of a magnet for the young and ambitious, but it has potential and a lot of history.

I lived in CLE for 13 years.
The young and ambitious are actually moving to Cleveland these days. Businessmen who worked in Manhattan are starting to move to downtown Cleveland and enjoy it a lot better because it costs like 3X less and there isn't as much traffic, but there's more things to do. Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights, University Heights, University Circle, Tremont, Ohio City, Waterloo and North/South Collinwood are starting to attract younger people too.

Here's an article about it.

People are moving back into downtown Cleveland .. and that’s good news for all of Northeast Ohio*|*REJournals.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/02/re...ring.html?_r=0

Cleveland's inner city is growing faster than its suburbs as young adults flock downtown | cleveland.com

Old 07-11-2014, 07:09 AM

493 posts, read 639,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I have heard of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and would think that would be the signature attraction for most visitors to the city. It would be nice to combine the R & R Hall of Fame with the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton on a trip some day. They are only an hour apart if I am not mistaken. I would probably explore the Cuyahoga Valley recreation area for a few hours, too. It would not be a place to live for me, but not having any family, friends or relatives in that area would be the main reason along with having to adapt to chilly winters.

I am guessing I would like the down to earth, unpretentious people there. At least that is what I have heard. I have two friends here in California that grew up in Cleveland. While they have not considered ever moving back, they have shared some good things about the town. They have told me there is an area of bars near the harbor where the ships are called The Flats. I would definitely check that out. Is it still popular?

The rundown areas would not bother me too much on a short trip as I know I will not be there very long. I would definitely research ahead of time to avoid the worst areas (good advice in any large or medium size city).

As to what the Convention will do for Cleveland's image and recognition: it will be limited to the region IMO. St. Paul hosted the 2008 RNC. Only remember that because I grew up in MN until age 12. I doubt too many people around the country remember. However, I'll bet people in the upper Midwest region probably do. So the impact will probably be more regional than national about a year after it is over. It will be remembered in the bordering states, but probably not beyond that. Ohio and maybe Indiana, Illinois, western Pennsylvania, western New York, Kentucky and that is about it.

For proof, how many posters remember that St. Paul hosted the 2008 RNC? It is still great that they picked your city and people should be proud.

You would have to host a Super Bowl like Indianapolis did to get recognition beyond the region. Funny. Hosting the Super Bowl provides greater recognition to a city than a convention process that helps decide our next President. It is what it is. LOL!
The Flats hasn't been around since the 90's so... yeah.

If you drive through the bad areas then it really doesn't make a difference. It's not like people go shooting at cars and traffic. People already drive through those areas to get to work and stuff a lot faster.

As for the convention, we don't care if other cities forget that we hosted it the day after the convention is over. All we care about is that the convention will bring a lot of national attention to Cleveland, along with a lot of money, especially because it's the Republican convention.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:32 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I have heard of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and would think that would be the signature attraction for most visitors to the city. It would be nice to combine the R & R Hall of Fame with the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton on a trip some day. They are only an hour apart if I am not mistaken. I would probably explore the Cuyahoga Valley recreation area for a few hours, too. It would not be a place to live for me, but not having any family, friends or relatives in that area would be the main reason along with having to adapt to chilly winters.

Admittedly the city could do a better job of marketing the Rock Hall. As it stands they alternate with New York with having the induction ceremonies. ALL of the induction ceremonies should be held in Cleveland, and not in freakin' New York! Yes the NFL HOF is not that far down the road. As you said, about an hour south. The Cuyahoga Valley is quite a gem. Numerous hiking trails, and lots of scenery. I can understand you being from California, that it would be difficult to adjust to winters. I've been here all 41 years, and I still hate them!

I am guessing I would like the down to earth, unpretentious people there. At least that is what I have heard. I have two friends here in California that grew up in Cleveland. While they have not considered ever moving back, they have shared some good things about the town. They have told me there is an area of bars near the harbor where the ships are called The Flats. I would definitely check that out. Is it still popular?

The Flats was a huge party district in the 80s and 90s. Unfortunately, some of riff raff that started to happen, the drunkeness, fights, people drowning in the river, ect...ect... caused it's demise. The city pretty much sealed it's fate in 2001 when 3 of the top night clubs on the east bank of The Flats were raided for "code violations!" Cleveland currently has West 6th (The Warehouse District) and East 4th (close to The Q, and Progressive Field) which are quite vibrant entertainment districts. The city currently is in the process of revitalizing The Flats. It won't be the party district in which it was famous for, but it will be a mix of condos, apartments, restaurants, bars, and a 20 story office building.

The rundown areas would not bother me too much on a short trip as I know I will not be there very long. I would definitely research ahead of time to avoid the worst areas (good advice in any large or medium size city).

All US major cities have crappy areas. I do my best to stay out of them in other cities that I've visited as well as here.

As to what the Convention will do for Cleveland's image and recognition: it will be limited to the region IMO. St. Paul hosted the 2008 RNC. Only remember that because I grew up in MN until age 12. I doubt too many people around the country remember. However, I'll bet people in the upper Midwest region probably do. So the impact will probably be more regional than national about a year after it is over. It will be remembered in the bordering states, but probably not beyond that. Ohio and maybe Indiana, Illinois, western Pennsylvania, western New York, Kentucky and that is about it.

It will still generate quite a bit of revenue. At any rate, the convention center is relatively new, and given that it is much bigger than the older one (which hindered us from getting larger conventions), there is an opportunity to host other large conventions now that we have the facilities to do so.

For proof, how many posters remember that St. Paul hosted the 2008 RNC? It is still great that they picked your city and people should be proud.

We are.

You would have to host a Super Bowl like Indianapolis did to get recognition beyond the region. Funny. Hosting the Super Bowl provides greater recognition to a city than a convention process that helps decide our next President. It is what it is. LOL!
I'd LOVE for us to host a Super Bowl. The problem is that the prima donna celebrities don't want to sit in the cold (unless it's NY) and therefore, since we along with other northern cities with open air stadiums will not be able to do so! Imagine that, football.... a game of elements, and yet we are denied that opportunity. And let's not forget that the Super Bowl is unaffordable for the average football fan.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:07 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
I live in Pittsburgh, so I think that Cleveland gets the same sort of bad rap that Pittsburgh does. It's been the butt of jokes for so many years that a lot of people underestimate what the area is like and what it has to offer. I've been to Cleveland a handful of times, and I've really enjoyed my time there.

I also like the city's attempt at rebranding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgqD-Of0G-8#t=28
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events