Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 06:36 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I wonder if there are any additional hassles, as an American flying in to BC? I assume the whole Covid thing will be over, and we have passports.

The current requirements are that you have the ArriveCan app in order to enter Canada as well as a negative covid test to board the ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2022, 04:15 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
The current requirements are that you have the ArriveCan app in order to enter Canada as well as a negative covid test to board the ship.
Never heard of that, thanks.

Old 05-01-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Never heard of that, thanks.

And many have not, unfortunately. Travel agents and even the cruise lines dropped the ball on notifying clients of the requirement. In addition, and if flying, in order to get back into the USA you currently need a negative covid test. Appears the cruise lines will assist with this as you disembark. Since your trip isn’t until 2023 all this may be moot though.

Old 05-01-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
And many have not, unfortunately. Travel agents and even the cruise lines dropped the ball on notifying clients of the requirement. In addition, and if flying, in order to get back into the USA you currently need a negative covid test. Appears the cruise lines will assist with this as you disembark. Since your trip isn’t until 2023 all this may be moot though.
Yes. It’s quite a way away.

Old 05-01-2022, 05:23 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,653,202 times
I wound up chartering a yacht for 8 days for our trip. There will be 8 of us ranging in age from 83 to 26. We will be cruising, kayaking, hiking, fishing etc. The trip will more or less be tailored to our varied interests each day. We will have a chef on board to keep us well fed.

Depending on what you are looking to get out of your trip, it might be something to look at. Even if you had kids on the trip there would be enough to do to keep them interested. And no tourist crowds to contend with!

Old 05-02-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I wound up chartering a yacht for 8 days for our trip. There will be 8 of us ranging in age from 83 to 26. We will be cruising, kayaking, hiking, fishing etc. The trip will more or less be tailored to our varied interests each day. We will have a chef on board to keep us well fed.

Depending on what you are looking to get out of your trip, it might be something to look at. Even if you had kids on the trip there would be enough to do to keep them interested. And no tourist crowds to contend with!

Agree that this would be an exceptional Alaska trip. Unfortunate that it is out the reach for most at about $50K or so it appears.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:37 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,653,202 times
Quote:
Agree that this would be an exceptional Alaska trip. Unfortunate that it is out the reach for most at about $50K or so it appears.
I agree that it is not cheap and not for everyone. I am footing the bill for ours as the people we invited would not be able to do something like this on their own.

But for 8 people it works out to $6200 each for a totally different experience. I could be very wrong, but I'm guessing that there are quite a few people who spend that kind of money on fancy vacation trips elsewhere.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I agree that it is not cheap and not for everyone. I am footing the bill for ours as the people we invited would not be able to do something like this on their own.

But for 8 people it works out to $6200 each for a totally different experience. I could be very wrong, but I'm guessing that there are quite a few people who spend that kind of money on fancy vacation trips elsewhere.
Yes, I have no doubt that a cruise with the side activities and flight from the east coast will cost more than that.

Old 05-02-2022, 11:22 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
I wonder if there are any additional hassles, as an American flying in to BC? I assume the whole Covid thing will be over, and we have passports.
Well right now you have to download the ArriveCan app and put your info as far as passport # and vaccines. Then complete and send off 72 hours before embarking or flying in, hopefully by 2023 this will no longer apply

Old 05-02-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Yes, I have no doubt that a cruise with the side activities and flight from the east coast will cost more than that.

Even this cruise will be more than $6200 unless airfare, pre/post hotel & meals are included in this amount. We're all in for about the same amount including excursions for 2 weeks on Princess this month and that's for 2 of us. Certainly not the same experience as a small ship cruise (we've done 4) but the costs are significantly different.

I should clarify too that we'd be doing nothing but the small shop experience if we could. There's just no comparison between the small lines and the mainlines. This 8 person yacht would be very special.

Last edited by Chilkoot; 05-02-2022 at 12:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises