Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 04:50 AM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times

Advertisements

East Haven vs Stratford

Ashford vs Windham

Morris vs Wolcott---------------- I don't know much about Morris it look like lowkey town and Wolcott is like Seymour had baby with nicer area of Ansonia and Derby.

Hampton vs Stafford

Seymour vs Montville

New Britain vs Bloomfield Bloomfield is nice town but southern part just like Hamden and Stratford is least desirable part of town.

Berlin vs Lebanon

Sherman vs Derby

Coventry vs East Hartford

South Windsor vs Lisbon

Pomfret vs Waterbury

Plainville vs Hartland

Harwinton vs Ledyard

Norfolk vs Sterling

Putnam vs Preston

Middlefield vs Torrington

Bethany vs Griswold

Canterbury vs Sprague

Barkhamsted vs Naugatuck

Windsor Locks vs East Windsor

Eastford vs Norwich

West Haven
vs Windsor

Colebrook vs Meriden

Bristol vs Chaplin

Killingly vs Salem

Tolland vs Somers

Granby vs Hamden

Beacon Falls
vs Sharon

Thompson vs Ansonia

East Granby vs Brooklyn----- I don't know much about Brooklyn, CT

Durham vs Voluntown

North Haven vs Suffield

Goshen vs Plainfield

Canaan vs Plymouth

Union vs Bozrah

Willington vs Columbia

Andover vs Prospect

Scotland vs Franklin

Burlington vs Winchester

Enfield vs Vernon

Haddam vs Warren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 04:51 AM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Modern is my favorite pizza I’ve ever had in the world so far (excluding Deep Dish and Detroit Style Pizza). It’s sooo good, and they have a clam option as well! I can’t wait to give Zuppardi’s a try though!

Honestly the only thin crust pizza I’ve had outside of New Haven metropolitan area that even comes close to Modern and the others there is Ojai Pizza Company in Ojai, California! It’s not as good as New Haven pizza but it’s close in quality!

New Haven, East Haven, Branford and Shelton have best pizza had so far in CT.

Old 03-07-2024, 08:00 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
New Haven, East Haven, Branford and Shelton have best pizza had so far in CT.
What in Branford and Shelton? I’ve had Addeo’s in Shelton but that’s it.

I think the best pizza towns outside NHV are West Haven (Zuppardi’s, Mike’s), Milford (Papa’s, Jimmy’s, Strega, New Haven Pizza Place, Nautilus), Derby (Roseland, Zuppardi’s at THC, Tipsy Tomato’s). Haven’t tried the North Haven spots but they sound good.

Last edited by Stylo; 03-07-2024 at 10:02 AM..

Old 03-07-2024, 08:53 AM

836 posts, read 505,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I haven’t been to Bufalina in YEARS. I liked it a lot. I recall it being more of a conventional wood fired pizza. Need to go again
Bufalina isn't apizza, but it's outstanding. Wood fired Neapolitan. Superb wood fired. The tres carnes is one of my favorite pizzas anywhere. Otto in Chester similar, but I give the edge to Bufalina for that style. Sadly, they have limited hours and limited seating. You can't really go there on a spurt of the moment, "let's get some pizza" night. Even for to go, you need to make reservation.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
Bufalina isn't apizza, but it's outstanding. Wood fired Neapolitan. Superb wood fired. The tres carnes is one of my favorite pizzas anywhere. Otto in Chester similar, but I give the edge to Bufalina for that style. Sadly, they have limited hours and limited seating. You can't really go there on a spurt of the moment, "let's get some pizza" night. Even for to go, you need to make reservation.
Otto is good, probably the best around there, but yeah. I remember liking Bufalina more. I think at Otto if I ever go again, I will ask for it well done.

Strega and Zeneli are the best Neapolitan I've had outside of Naples!

Last edited by Stylo; 03-07-2024 at 11:38 PM..

Old 03-07-2024, 10:45 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,627,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
What in Branford and Shelton? I’ve had Addeo’s in Shelton but that’s it.
Marco Pizza in Branford is great and if you're east of New Haven, it's a lot more convenient than trekking to Wooster St.

Vincitori in East Lyme (Niantic) has some really creative pies... They have the standards plus more chef-inspired pies and specials than most.

Old 03-07-2024, 01:50 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times
Picks in red

East Haven vs Stratford

Ashford vs Windham

Morris vs Wolcott

Hampton vs Stafford

Seymour vs Montville

New Britain vs Bloomfield

Berlin vs Lebanon

Sherman vs Derby

Coventry vs East Hartford

South Windsor vs Lisbon

Pomfret vs Waterbury

Plainville vs Hartland

Harwinton vs Ledyard

Norfolk vs Sterling

Putnam
vs Preston

Middlefield vs Torrington

Bethany vs Griswold

Canterbury vs Sprague

Barkhamsted vs Naugatuck

Windsor Locks vs East Windsor

Eastford vs Norwich

West Haven vs Windsor

Colebrook vs Meriden

Bristol vs Chaplin

Killingly vs Salem

Tolland vs Somers

Granby vs Hamden

Beacon Fall
s vs Sharon

Thompson vs Ansonia

East Granby vs Brooklyn

Durham vs Voluntown

North Haven vs Suffield

Goshen vs Plainfield

Canaan vs Plymouth

Union vs Bozrah

Willington vs Columbia

Andover vs Prospect

Scotland vs Franklin

Burlington vs Winchester

Enfield vs Vernon

Haddam vs Warren

Old 03-07-2024, 10:25 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,633,538 times
WOW!!!! So far, we have three returning participants from quite a few tournaments ago that I didn’t see in the past one or even one before!

DigitalMilford, BPt111, and East of the River!!! I’m so glad you guys are back! Really long time no see! Thanks for coming back and participating!

Still have a few more days until deadline, and hope to get at least 6-7 more voters! I know a few people that plan to vote and haven’t yet. I’ve also got at least two personal friends that are CT residents that plan to make accounts on here to participate?

I also expect that there are a few people that plan to skip this round and start participating when around 2 starts because many of these towns are unfamiliar and unknown to them. CTartist already said she’ll be starting in Round 2!

Let’s encourage all other CT forum regulars and members to come here and vote!

Old 03-08-2024, 03:32 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,633,538 times
As we are waiting for votes to come in, I wanted to ask all of you, what are your predictions for which town will win the tournament this year?

So far: Fairfield, Guilford, and Madison are former champions. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a repeat of one of those!

However, I was also thinking of maybe best chances for new winners!

If I had to make an educated guess, I believe New Haven has the best chance of a new town! The love for New Haven appears to be growing every single tournament. The main issue that halts New Haven is that there are also a bunch of voters that really do not like the cities and they will almost never vote for New Haven unless it faces another city. I was thinking what the main thing holding New Haven back was in the most recent previous tournaments, and in all honesty, I think it is mainly low voter turnout in the most crucial rounds that New Haven needed to win. Some participants missed a few crucial rounds that costed New Haven, but I really think if all the New Haven voters turn out in the most important rounds towards the end, it really can be done!

Old Saybrook is another town that has come very close in almost all tournaments but just hasn’t had the final edge to go until the end. I’ve been wondering a bit as to what’s been holding Old Saybrook back, as it’s a fairly upscale town and pretty well-rounded. The town has often lost to towns like Guilford and Madison for the most part. On average it might not be quite as upscale as Guilford and Madison, but it does have Fenwick which is arguably one of the most pretty and upscale areas of the whole state. I think the main thing that’s been holding this town back is the Downtown Area. The Downtown does have a lot of amenities, restaurants, and shopping but it’s not as walkable and maybe lacks charm. It feels more like just random suburban developments and phases rather than an actual town center feeling. It’s also not as walkable and you don’t see any real areas where people just hangout and have fun like you do in other downtowns in the state. I think that’s the main thing, but also how are the beaches in everyone else’s opinion? It does have Harvey’s Beach which I’ve always liked but haven’t been in ages. Any other good beaches there? I wonder if the beaches might be holding it back as well?

Milford has also made two finals and been really close recently. It’s a very well-rounded town with arguably one of the best downtowns in the state if not the best. That being said, I think the main thing that’s holding Milford back is that there are no particularly upscale areas or areas with really pretty and good-looking homes like you’ll find in other top towns. Fairfield has Southport and Greenfield Hill, All of Coastal Guilford is very upscale with amazing homes, Southern and Central Madison is also really upscale. Old Saybrook has Fenwick. I’m not super familiar with what goes inside with developments, but I do remember Jay saying last tournament that he had some connections with one of the heads of the Milford developments, and he was quite cheap when it came to developments. In general Milford is a middle class town but I wouldn’t really say it’s that upscale.

I also have my eyes on Stonington in this tournament. It hasn’t come as close as the others, but I feel that town might have an outside chance as well. That being said, I think the main things holding Stonington back is it doesn’t have much of a town feeling. It’s almost like 3 tiny towns spread out from each other with nothing in between. The Borough is amazing, and you’ve also got most of Mystic, Mason’s Island, and Pawcatuck. However, I’m not sure if the town really has a proper downtown, and it’s also really hard to get from place to place without a car. The Borough, Mystic, and Pawcatuck are walkable, but those three areas are a distance away from each other with really nothing in between. Also how are the beaches in Stonington? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the town lacks really nice beaches that you’ll find in other towns.

I’ve really been curious as to what’s been holding these towns I listed above back.

Besides those, I wonder if any non-coastal town has a chance. If any inland town will win it, I think Litchfield probably has the best chance. MAYBE Essex.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Milford has also made two finals and been really close recently. It’s a very well-rounded town with arguably one of the best downtowns in the state if not the best. That being said, I think the main thing that’s holding Milford back is that there are no particularly upscale areas or areas with really pretty and good-looking homes like you’ll find in other top towns. Fairfield has Southport and Greenfield Hill, All of Coastal Guilford is very upscale with amazing homes, Southern and Central Madison is also really upscale. Old Saybrook has Fenwick. I’m not super familiar with what goes inside with developments, but I do remember Jay saying last tournament that he had some connections with one of the heads of the Milford developments, and he was quite cheap when it came to developments. In general Milford is a middle class town but I wouldn’t really say it’s that upscale.
I agree that New Haven has a big shot at winning.

However, I think you need to explore Milford more!

Yes, most of the town is fairly middle class (though even "cheap" looking homes are now 400k+, so it's becoming out of reach for many), but there are upscale areas. Mostly around the coast.

Examples:
- Laurel/Wildemere Beach area all the way to Smith Point
- Shell Ave/Trumbull Ave area
- Gulf Street from New Haven Ave south
- Point Lookout Neighborhood (someone bought a house and tore it down for 3.2 million!), In/Around Eveningside Dr, Southern Old Field Lane
- Much of the coast from Point Lookout all the way to Woodmont. Morningside and Woodmont in particular

Pretty much the entirety of the coast is $1+ million.

Then you have pockets of really nice inland neighborhoods. Some standout streets, Pond St, Governors Ave, Hitching Post, Founders Way, northern section of West River Street. Along the duck ponds.

Most new housing is $800k+, even inland. A development called Miranda Meadows in north Milford is all $1 million+ houses. The demographics have changed. 10+ years ago you'd find SFH new construction starting at around $400k. Not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut