Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 09:03 AM

811 posts, read 1,742,777 times

Advertisements

Considering renting in Brookfield, CT which is just north of Danbury.

Was wondering how the commute is from there to downtown Stamford by car? Google maps says 50-55 minutes. Not sure how accurate that is given traffic.

Has anyone done this commute by train to Stamford station?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 12:09 PM

11 posts, read 39,520 times
What time of day? We are in Weston, near Georgetown (close to Wilton/Ridgefield/Rt. 7) and it takes 30 minutes to get to the Stamford train if I leave at 6:30. That would put you at 50 minutes or so, depending how close you are to (but generally I am in Danbury in 20-25 mins.) But if you are leaving later, I think it will take you MUCH longer.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:30 PM

I'd like to be in Stamford by 8:30AM so I can walk from train to the mall area on Tresser Blvd and be at work by 9AM. I leave work at 5-7 depending on the days. How's the afternoon commute?

Old 06-18-2011, 08:22 PM

21,826 posts, read 28,208,029 times
The commute is pretty bad. I'm from that area and the people I know that commuted to Stamford were/are miserable. You're entering the Merritt/95 at its busiest point when you're done with Route 7, which is slow/maddening. You can take backroads but it's going to be well over an hour and lots of stop signs/traffic lights.

Train is not good. Slow/infrequent. You'd be spending at least 15-20 minutes in just 84/backroad traffic to get to the Danbury station from Brookfield. You're looking at the 7:26AM train, which is a little over an hour. You'd want to leave Brookfield no later than 6:55 in case you hit traffic. For comparison, the train from Stratford is twice as fast and runs 5x as often.

Driving home from Stamford to Brookfield at that time could easily take you well over an hour, possibly 90 minutes on bad days.

I seem to remember from previous posts that you're younger with no kids? If so, there's no reason for you to rent in Brookfield. It's one of the dullest towns in CT for young people. Nothing to do in the area. Moving was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I'd recommend finding a town on the New Haven train line to rent. If you're budget conscious, Black Rock, Stratford and Milford are all good choices. The train runs more often and is much quicker than from Danbury.

Last edited by Stylo; 06-18-2011 at 08:32 PM..

Old 06-18-2011, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback on the train service as that was looking as the more practical choice if there is one. I definitely do not want it to make me miserable.

You're right, mid 20's, no kids but do have a fiance.

I'll look into the area between Fairfield and Milford. Do any complexes come to mind? I was thinking the Avalons maybe or Spinnaker.

Finding something under 1600 with all utilities (heat, electric, water, whatever else they usually charge for) is my budget.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:49 PM

Yeah, Fairfield > Milford is a much better choice IMO for commuting to Stamford, as well as a place to live for a young couple. The train is so much quicker and more frequent. You could potentially get stuck with a 70 minute ride home to Danbury depending on when you leave, then the 15-20 minute drive home. A commute that long and you might as well work in NYC. One big reason I made the move was the better train system for current and future employment, as well as being in-between 2 major cities (Stamford and New Haven).

Avalon is pricey, might not be able to find something for that price.

Spinnaker has a lot of really nice apartments, and most are in walking distance to the train station. Downtown's a great place to live. If you don't need anything bigger than 1BR, I believe you may be able to swing your budget. Worth emailing them. What's your timing? There's 2 new complexes being built downtown, but I don't think they'll be done til the end of the year.

Here's some more:

Fairfield Homes for Rent - Fairfield Houses for Rent - Fairfield, CT Rentals Real Estate - Realtor.com®
Stratford Homes for Rent - Stratford Houses for Rent - Stratford, CT Rentals Real Estate - Realtor.com®
Milford Homes for Rent - Milford Houses for Rent - Milford, CT Rentals Real Estate - Realtor.com®

Old 06-18-2011, 08:53 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,094,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
Considering renting in Brookfield, CT which is just north of Danbury.

Was wondering how the commute is from there to downtown Stamford by car? Google maps says 50-55 minutes. Not sure how accurate that is given traffic.
Maybe an hour in free flowing conditions (basically well out of working commute hours).

I'd budget 1.5 to 2 hours during rush hour, and you will begin to hate it rather soon.

Sorry; it's a rough commute by car.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:58 PM

42 posts, read 78,186 times
BUILD SUPER 7!!!!!!!!!!!! wilton is a little pain in the a$$ isn't it...

Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffldresident24 View Post
BUILD SUPER 7!!!!!!!!!!!! wilton is a little pain in the a$$ isn't it...
Amen. Although I don't know if it would solve the biggest problem in this commute: Merritt/95 from Norwalk to Stamford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut