Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:59 PM

323 posts, read 634,004 times

Advertisements

I just went to the Borders in Danbury, which is closing any day now. An employee told me that THOUSANDS of people have emailed/called Borders' corporate offices to plead them not to close this one, to no avail. It serves a large community. Borders will close more stores in the future in CT. The closest book store is off exit 2 (I think) and its a Barnes & Noble. They cut back on employees. Will CT have not more book stores??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 01:29 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,692,557 times
there might already be a thread on this. i first heard this a month ago. i remember it because there was a link that went to a page that listed all the stores in each state and which ones were closing and which ones weren't. i remember the Meriden store was staying open.
always liked Borders. as mentioned in the other thread, i lived in MA for 6 years in the early to late 90's. there was a Borders in Natick that i used to go to all the time. at that time i was just getting into software development on the PC and they had a ton of interesting tech books on topics that i was just learning. i was just getting into Dean Koontz then too so i was always picking up a new paperback. they had the capuccino bar too which made them unique. their tech selection seemed to dwindle though just before i left in 98.
wow, getting depressed just thinking about how long ago that was.

Last edited by Slipperman; 03-14-2011 at 01:53 PM..

Old 03-14-2011, 01:40 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
The Fairfield store is also staying open but the Simsbury and Manchester stores are closing. The problem is the company is in Bankruptcy and only their most profitable stores will stay open. That means that the store has to be in an area with a good number of educated people, have little or no competition from other booksellers and one where they have favorable lease terms. In general bookstores are facing stiff competition from the internet. Why buy at retail when you can buy a book on line dirt cheap? Barnes & Noble is much bigger and able to compete better than Borders. Anyway, it is too bad since Borders is a great store. Jay

Old 03-14-2011, 02:11 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,692,557 times
here's one link..

Borders in CT

this is the original link i saw. you can sort by state.

WSJ

Last edited by Slipperman; 03-14-2011 at 02:23 PM..

Old 03-14-2011, 02:14 PM

I'll look for that other thread.

I know you can get books online on the cheap, but the experience of going to the bookstore, smelling those books, browsing, being in an intellectual atmosphere, having a coffee....I feel like part of our lifestyle is being severed.

Slipperman: Thanks for the link.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:16 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The Fairfield store is also staying open but the Simsbury and Manchester stores are closing. The problem is the company is in Bankruptcy and only their most profitable stores will stay open. That means that the store has to be in an area with a good number of educated people, have little or no competition from other booksellers and one where they have favorable lease terms. In general bookstores are facing stiff competition from the internet. Why buy at retail when you can buy a book on line dirt cheap? Barnes & Noble is much bigger and able to compete better than Borders. Anyway, it is too bad since Borders is a great store. Jay
Amazon is likely the primary threat to Borders, but I sure noticed a big market share shift once Barnes and Noble put Starbucks in their stores. Sure, Borders has cafes too (not to mention better deals and live music) but it can't compete against a company with Starbucks tie-ins. Given a choice between the two stores, it appears many consumers have gone out of their way to go to B+N for name brand cappuccino/frappuccino.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:30 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Definitely a loss. I don't go to bars or clubs, so bookstores represent a frequent evening designation for more. I love to get a cup of coffee and brose for an hour... I would almost walk out with a book.

The one on Manchester was a nice book store. I don't like the B&N here nearly as much.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:16 PM

mlassoff: I agree. We, as a family, did the same. And now, we need something to fill this gap.

The employees at the store told me it was just really bad management, not ebooks, etc...

Who knows. But, I will try the library again, although its not the same.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:03 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
its a shame, i dont like barnes and noble, i liked that at the borders i could go, have a coffee, take my time, sit around, use their wi-fi ect...the barns and noble neer the mall just doesnt cut it for me...

i was a little suprised though that they're closing yet the books were only 15-25% off, only the magazines were the full 50%...
given they keep saying theyve "only got a matter of days".

i think the biggest problem for this store is the rent, that area is notoriously high for store front cost.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:37 AM

Can't fix original post. Anyone know how to edit a thread you've started?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut