Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 11:49 AM

9 posts, read 42,593 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of moving out of Manhattan to be closer to my new job in Stamford Connecticut. I'm well aware of the Metro-North train option.

However, I am strongly thinking of moving out of the city to a close 'burb like Mamaroneck, Larchmont and taking I-95 by car to Stamford everyday. Would this drive be extremely brutal, i.e., bumper to bumper no movement if I left at 7:30 a.m. everyday? Also, how is the quality of life in Mamaroneck and Larchmont for a single guy in his 30s?

Alternatively, would living in Stamford be any fun? It seems like a dreary city with very little life beyond the finance professionals meeting for after work drinks at bars situated on Bedford and Summer Streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 12:02 PM

21,629 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas73 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm thinking of moving out of Manhattan to be closer to my new job in Stamford Connecticut. I'm well aware of the Metro-North train option.

However, I am strongly thinking of moving out of the city to a close 'burb like Mamaroneck, Larchmont and taking I-95 by car to Stamford everyday. Would this drive be extremely brutal, i.e., bumper to bumper no movement if I left at 7:30 a.m. everyday? Also, how is the quality of life in Mamaroneck and Larchmont for a single guy in his 30s?

Alternatively, would living in Stamford be any fun? It seems like a dreary city with very little life beyond the finance professionals meeting for after work drinks at bars situated on Bedford and Summer Streets.
Stamford, dreary? Are you sure you've been there? It's a nice middle class suburb that has something for everyone. If you want action, live downtown. If you want peaceful, live a bit more north. Stamford certainly has more going on than Larchmont or Mamaroneck, which are IMO sleepy bedroom communities of Manhattan.

Your commute shouldn't be too bad. 95 from Stamford to NYC can be brutal all day, but generally the traffic moves south in the AM, and north in the PM. It depends on the weather, time of year, and time of day.

I would also look into White Plains.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Stamford, dreary? Are you sure you've been there? It's a nice middle class suburb that has something for everyone. If you want action, live downtown. If you want peaceful, live a bit more north. Stamford certainly has more going on than Larchmont or Mamaroneck, which are IMO sleepy bedroom communities of Manhattan.

Your commute shouldn't be too bad. 95 from Stamford to NYC can be brutal all day, but generally the traffic moves south in the AM, and north in the PM. It depends on the weather, time of year, and time of day.

I would also look into White Plains.
Thanks. I confess I haven't spent significant or extended time in Stamford but I have walked around the area where Stamford Town Center is, Main Street, Atlantic Street and Bank Street. I have heard Bedford and Summer Streets are pretty lively. I guess I will have to spend more time to get a better feel of it before making any relocation decisions. Re: White Plains, I don't know much about that except for the huge mall they have there. Also I wonder if the commute across 287 and merging onto 95 or Merritt would be difficult, and it's not on the New Haven M-N Line so you don't have a train option.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:38 PM

83,529 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Stamford Dreary? lol Anyway.... I love the Ice rink and Cove park by the water.. One thing you'll get in Larchmont and Mamaroneck, NY that you wont get in Stamford, CT....NY Attitude.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Stamford Dreary? lol Anyway.... I love the Ice rink and Cove park by the water.. One thing you'll get in Larchmont and Mamaroneck, NY that you wont get in Stamford, CT....NY Attitude.
Good to know. Ironically re: the "NY attitude" Stamford seems to be trying extra diligently to attract NY'ers tired of the population density, limited living space, and exorbitant housing/rental costs. Certainly by becoming a Wall Street outpost and corporate HQ it is doing so. Having grown up on the CT shoreline east of New Haven, my opinion is that New Haven is a true-blue Connecticut city with its own proud identity, interesting and eclectic shops, diverse populace, and music/art scene. No doubt the university presence there has an impact on the city's fun and up-beat vibe. If I had the ability, I would much rather live in New Haven than Stamford. To me, albeit based on only on short, infrequent visits, Stamford doesn't produce that kind of vibe, lacking a je'ne sais quoi at the moment with an undefined or inexplicable identity. This is not meant to disparage and my opinion is obviously only my subjective perception which admittedly is based on limited experience and facts. And I also try to avoid judging other cities by comparing to NYC, a futile and unfair endeavor.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:58 PM

21,629 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas73 View Post
Good to know. Ironically re: the "NY attitude" Stamford seems to be trying extra diligently to attract NY'ers tired of the population density, limited living space, and exorbitant housing/rental costs. Certainly by becoming a Wall Street outpost and corporate HQ it is doing so. Having grown up on the CT shoreline east of New Haven, my opinion is that New Haven is a true-blue Connecticut city with its own proud identity, interesting and eclectic shops, diverse populace, and music/art scene. No doubt the university presence there has an impact on the city's fun and up-beat vibe. If I had the ability, I would much rather live in New Haven than Stamford. To me, albeit based on only on short, infrequent visits, Stamford doesn't produce that kind of vibe, lacking a je'ne sais quoi at the moment with an undefined or inexplicable identity. This is not meant to disparage and my opinion is obviously only my subjective perception which admittedly is based on limited experience and facts. And I also try to avoid judging other cities by comparing to NYC, a futile and unfair endeavor.
Stamford's housing costs aren't all that affordable, but when compared to neighboring towns (Greenwich, Darien) and Manhattan, they are viewed as such. Lots of NYers actually do a reverse commute and head up to Stamford for work.

Regarding NY attitude - I think the attitudes in Stamford will trump that of many areas in NY, but that's another thread.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:17 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,460,202 times
I don't get why anyone without kids would live in Westchester, personally. There really is not much of a single scene at all in either Larchmont or Mamaroneck. I would choose Stamford anyday. Much more to do, cheaper and you can't beat the commute.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:45 PM

83,529 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
I don't get why anyone without kids would live in Westchester, personally. There really is not much of a single scene at all in either Larchmont or Mamaroneck. I would choose Stamford anyday. Much more to do, cheaper and you can't beat the commute.
Great point and to add to that...Why would anyone WITH or WITHOUT kids want to live in Westchester. What a rip off. Its like living in a driveway for half million dollars. No thanks.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:53 PM

588 posts, read 1,320,954 times
If you're renting, Westchester isn't much more expensive than Fairfield County and it's a shorter commute to the city. There are a lot of beautiful towns in Westchester. However, there's no reason for a single person to move to Larchmont or Mamaroneck. Maybe White Plains, but other than that I'd still choose Stamford.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:48 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,460,202 times
People want shorter commutes to NYC, and honestly I think that many city dwellers can't handle the thought of leaving the state...even if it is only another 10 minutes!

Don't get me wrong, it's nice in Westchester and all, but CT is prettier IMO and has more going on. If I were a single guy in my 30's, I would never move to the burbs from Manhattan unless I also wanted to be a single guy in my 40's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut