Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 07:59 PM

7 posts, read 22,638 times

Advertisements

if so, why?

are the outter (newer) suburbs drawing people from towns like Bexley and Upper Arlington? are the new build areas hurting the real estate in the older areas?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 08:47 PM

455 posts, read 1,885,927 times
no

Old 02-27-2009, 10:23 AM

uh, ok...so where are they moving to? we're new to C-bus-help us out.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:15 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,073,075 times
yes, you are correct
The newer 'burbs provide newer, cheaper homes with more amenities nearby.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:35 AM

thanks. it's sad though b/c those neighborhoods are awesome.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:06 PM

455 posts, read 1,885,927 times
People who live in Bexley and Upper Arlington are not moving to the newer burbs. More likely the opposite would be the case if any of the suburbanites could afford it.

The OP was highly unclear with subject line verses the body of their message.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:09 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,073,075 times
They are.
I can't stand the new mass produced places.
Each of the ones in Bexley and German village have character and were built specifically for someone. I live in a 140 year place in German Village made of sandstone brick and eight beautiful fireplaces with 4 chimneys.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:05 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,675,181 times
Quote:
if so, why?

are the outter (newer) suburbs drawing people from towns like Bexley and Upper Arlington? are the new build areas hurting the real estate in the older areas?

thanks!
No not really. Bexley and many high end Columbus neighborhoods (ALA German Village) have families, but the homes have higher value and cost.

The school systems in the inner suburbs are great and I would argue Bexley, Grandview, Clintonville (actually a Columbus neighborhood), and Upper Arlington are closer to jobs, amenities, and local culture.

Many new suburbanites would love to live in this older, mature suburbs but cannot afford to. Many of the "new suburbs" Gahanna, Pickerington, are places to house the masses with affordable housing and schools systems that are believed to be good. When it comes to near by amenities you are often talking of a national chain restaurant, walmart, or Strip Mall USA.

Without children I would only consider living in a central city Columbus neighborhood like the Short North where I am now. With children I would expand my options to other Columbus central city neighborhoods like Clintonville or Berwick and the wonderful inner ring suburbs.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:42 PM

897 posts, read 2,826,162 times
I for one would have LOVED to live in Bexley, UA neighborhoods. We could afford the houses, but in reality some of those older homes demand more money for upkeep as well. I think that is why you see folks like myself (families) picking new over old.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:11 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,589,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
No not really. Bexley and many high end Columbus neighborhoods (ALA German Village) have families, but the homes have higher value and cost.

The school systems in the inner suburbs are great and I would argue Bexley, Grandview, Clintonville (actually a Columbus neighborhood), and Upper Arlington are closer to jobs, amenities, and local culture.

Many new suburbanites would love to live in this older, mature suburbs but cannot afford to. Many of the "new suburbs" Gahanna, Pickerington, are places to house the masses with affordable housing and schools systems that are believed to be good. When it comes to near by amenities you are often talking of a national chain restaurant, walmart, or Strip Mall USA.

Without children I would only consider living in a central city Columbus neighborhood like the Short North where I am now. With children I would expand my options to other Columbus central city neighborhoods like Clintonville or Berwick and the wonderful inner ring suburbs.
Not to mention that by living in these newer suburbs with bland housing stock , having a car is mandatory for any family member over driving age. With multiple vehicles in a household, it can get very pricey with car payments,upkeep ,gas and insurance . So that can offset the fact that living in the newer suburbs is cheaper than living in some of the older ones where public transit could be an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus