Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 01:26 PM

23 posts, read 38,200 times

Advertisements

Hi, moving to Columbus this summer. Looking for advance advice on where to live. My specific situation:
single, late 30's, I'm a serious distance runner...so looking for easy access out my door to long running trails (the Riverwalk?), walking distance to nightlife/restaurants would be ideal, not interested in a house, only in apartments, looking for the $1,000 to $1,700 a month price range, don't need a lot of space, originally from NYC...I realize that Columbus is a lot smaller than what I'm used to so trying to engage in expectation management...probably will be in Atlanta a lot on the weekends?

googling indicates that apartments at the Eagle & Phenix or 11th Street Lofts might work? (except that 11th Street doesn't seem to have washers/dryers in the units...which is a problem)

any general advice you have for a newcomer is great too. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 02:38 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,851,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy75 View Post
Hi, moving to Columbus this summer. Looking for advance advice on where to live. My specific situation:
single, late 30's, I'm a serious distance runner...so looking for easy access out my door to long running trails (the Riverwalk?), walking distance to nightlife/restaurants would be ideal, not interested in a house, only in apartments, looking for the $1,000 to $1,700 a month price range, don't need a lot of space, originally from NYC...I realize that Columbus is a lot smaller than what I'm used to so trying to engage in expectation management...probably will be in Atlanta a lot on the weekends?

googling indicates that apartments at the Eagle & Phenix or 11th Street Lofts might work? (except that 11th Street doesn't seem to have washers/dryers in the units...which is a problem)

any general advice you have for a newcomer is great too. TIA!
Welcome to Columbus cityboy75! I would suggest the Uptown/Downtown area, they have lots of great new businesses including a local coffee shop, local frozen yogurt place, fines men's retailer (been there since 1800's), and something you'll be interested in, Big Dog Running Company - they have group runs, clinics, races, etc.

Eagle & Phenix could be a good fit, but they have a limited number of rental apartments, most of them are only available for purchase.

Check out this website, they have a list of smaller loft developments that might be available, including the 11th Street Lofts. Uptown Loft Tour | Columbus GA

Let me know if you have any questions!

Old 02-04-2014, 04:53 PM

967 posts, read 1,072,492 times
For a longer running trail, I'd check out the Fall Line Terrace, it is a biking running trail that extends from the Riverwalk 11 mile across Columbus. It sounds like just what you are looking for trail wise.

Columbus Fall Line Trace | Georgia Trails | TrailLink.com

Old 02-05-2014, 12:16 PM

thank you! I'll look into all of the above.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:09 AM

147 posts, read 232,497 times
cityboy75, since you are a serious distance runner, you will definitely want to check out a rural area of Fort Benning (a military base adjacent to Columbus) that will provide you with literally 50+ miles worth of running routes (both paved roads and dirt/gravel trails) that are almost never driven on by vehicles. PM me if you are interested and I can give you more info.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:44 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
Based on what you are looking for, I recommend living downtown or in midtown, around the Weracoba Park area. Nice urban park with great running trails.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:53 AM

hi all...following up I guess.

Eagle & Phenix doesn't have any vacancies yet for this summer. 11th Street Lofts may be my only option but it seems kind of overpriced compared to E&P (11th Street is almost $1200 for a studio without the amenities of E&P...for example...it's another $65 a month for a washer/dryer...and I wonder about the security of their parking compared to E&P...I have a really nice car). are there any other options in walking distance of Uptown/the Riverwalk that I'm missing? Thanks!

eta: Johnson Mills is obviously not an option...

Last edited by cityboy75; 05-05-2014 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: JM

Old 05-05-2014, 10:08 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times
Quote:

Eagle & Phenix doesn't have any vacancies yet for this summer. 11th Street Lofts may be my only option but it seems kind of overpriced compared to E&P (11th Street is almost $1200 for a studio without the amenities of E&P...for example...it's another $65 a month for a washer/dryer...and I wonder about the security of their parking compared to E&P...I have a really nice car). are there any other options in walking distance of Uptown/the Riverwalk that I'm missing? Thanks!

Man, I'm not going to lie to you. I think you're moving to Columbus without having visited first. If you're not in E&P or to a lesser (and I do mean lesser ) degree, Johnston Mill, you do not want to live Uptown or even in the immediate area of downtown. If I were you, I would check around Lakebottom. That way you're close to downtown via 13th Street but not right in the middle of Ratchetville, USA, which is exactly what Columbus is despite homers going to bat for their city to say it's not. To be fair, Macon, Albany, and Augusta are similar in character too with Albany being worse off than the rest.

That being said, if you want a true unbiased opinion about Columbus, feel free to inbox me or respond on here. Columbus has nice areas, no doubt. BUT in general, the city is a dump. Macon Rd is the "Macon-Dixon Line" but now a days, crime is all around CSU's main campus (it was virtually non-existent 5 years ago) and continues to move to the "white" side of town, North Columbus. I initially thought Columbus was bad because of Fort Benning, but Macon nor Albany have Army post and they're all peas in a pod.

If you need any proof of what I'm saying, I suggest you read the Ledger-Enquirer for the next week. Folks will lie, the facts do not.

Oh, and if you're still looking for a place, there are these new (opened late 2013) off J.R. Allen Parkway right behind Chick-fil-a. Don't ask me the name, because I don't know. I do know they're nice though, I would check into them.

I hope this helps and I hope that you have a good experience in Muscogee County.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:52 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,808 times
Quote:

Condo for Sale at 1204 1st Ave, Unit 303, Columbus, GA 31901 - YouTube

The Flowers Building Lofts! One block away from Broadway,two blocks away from the riverwalk. Small shops are also located near by.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:44 AM

thanks guys. yeah, I've only driven through Columbus...years ago. I've been told Lakebottom before but I don't think there are any apartments there?? I've seen the Flowers Building lofts listed but they don't have a website that I can find. very difficult to get info. I'm only going to be in the area for two years so buying is not an option and renting a house is not an option...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA