Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 10:03 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,880,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
The retailers see something different. Wonder if they use these political and government lines? Doesn't look like it. It'll come out in the wash. I guess if this makes you feel good I have no problem with it.
The subject isn't about retailers. How did that come into the discussion? There's already a thread about that. This thread is about domestic migration. It seems as though you always throw in retailers, county statistics, etc. whenever someone makes a simple observation about some metric in which Columbia posts a higher figure than Greenville. Surely you can't be that insecure about your own city. If you aren't, then why hijack the thread?

Quote:
What's official? They are guessing right? At least until the true count is done. All other sources say 624,715, but your right. I concede.
After doing a little searching, I do see where there appears to be some sort of discrepancy in the numbers. I see an official Census source with the 624,715 figure for 2008, and then I see the most recent estimates that have 630,098 as the 2008 figure. I don't know if the figures had gotten revised or something, but that's something to look into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Like I said in another forum, on another website I think, Columbia gained more than many southern MSAs in the same size category: Knoxville, Birmingham and Greensboro, for instance, and more than even some larger-sized ones like Richmond and Jacksonville. We also gained more than Albuquerque and Tucson this time.
True. As I said, it wasn't an extraordinarily higher figure, but it was higher nonetheless. Columbia gets flamed a lot for the areas in which it lags, but it doesn't get nearly enough credit for the areas in which it performs solidly and even excels in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 12:11 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,814,761 times
I don't care which area has the largest MSA. If you care that much about which one does, move to Atlanta.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:36 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,333,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The subject isn't about retailers. How did that come into the discussion? There's already a thread about that. This thread is about domestic migration. It seems as though you always throw in retailers, county statistics, etc. whenever someone makes a simple observation about some metric in which Columbia posts a higher figure than Greenville. Surely you can't be that insecure about your own city. If you aren't, then why hijack the thread?

After doing a little searching, I do see where there appears to be some sort of discrepancy in the numbers. I see an official Census source with the 624,715 figure for 2008, and then I see the most recent estimates that have 630,098 as the 2008 figure. I don't know if the figures had gotten revised or something, but that's something to look into.

True. As I said, it wasn't an extraordinarily higher figure, but it was higher nonetheless. Columbia gets flamed a lot for the areas in which it lags, but it doesn't get nearly enough credit for the areas in which it performs solidly and even excels in.
Nothing for me to be insecure about as long they keep adding quality of life here. No need to get testy, you don't run this forum and definitely can't or don't run me brother.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:46 PM

Anybody got info about international migration statistics for the county and MSA regions? Curious to see those.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Nothing for me to be insecure about as long they keep adding quality of life here. No need to get testy, you don't run this forum and definitely can't or don't run me brother.
I just don't get why you seem to try to hijack threads like this by throwing in things that have nothing to do with the original subject. It really comes across as insecure. There are several areas in which Greenville and the Upstate excel in that you can be happy about, and you guys often discuss those subjects in the Greenville-Spartanburg forum without anyone interjecting unrelated statements like, "Columbia has the state's largest MSA!" or "Charleston is the fastest-growing central city in SC!" It just seems to me that the same courtesy can be extended towards Columbia, unless there are factual inaccuracies being thrown about which is not usually the case. There's no harm in letting Columbia have its shine in the areas in which it does a bit better. It doesn't make Columbia a better city or Greenville a worse city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Anybody got info about international migration statistics for the county and MSA regions? Curious to see those.
It's included in the same table that includes the domestic migration figures. The subject of this thread is Columbia's high ranking when it comes to domestic and international migration combined.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I just don't get why you seem to try to hijack threads like this by throwing in things that have nothing to do with the original subject. It really comes across as insecure. There are several areas in which Greenville and the Upstate excel in that you can be happy about, and you guys often discuss those subjects in the Greenville-Spartanburg forum without anyone interjecting unrelated statements like, "Columbia has the state's largest MSA!" or "Charleston is the fastest-growing central city in SC!" It just seems to me that the same courtesy can be extended towards Columbia, unless there are factual inaccuracies being thrown about which is not usually the case. There's no harm in letting Columbia have its shine in the areas in which it does a bit better. It doesn't make Columbia a better city or Greenville a worse city.
The reason you see that from the Greenville boosters is because we feel like it's not fair that Spartanburg and Anderson aren't even included in the MSA figures when we think they should be. A lot of times we feel that the Columbia boosters act like those counties don't even exist. I live in Anderson County less than 10 minutes from downtown Greenville but i'm not included in the Greenville MSA. It's really odd seeing that. With the growth of Powdersville and Greer, I could see Anderson and Spartanburg Counties added back to the Greenville MSA in 2010 although i'm not holding my breath on that. The fact of the matter is that at present time, Columbia is the largest MSA and city while Greenville is the largest CSA and county. If people have problems with that then they should just move to Atlanta so they can be happy being the biggest in terms of population in the southeast.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
The reason you see that from the Greenville boosters is because we feel like it's not fair that Spartanburg and Anderson aren't even included in the MSA figures when we think they should be. A lot of times we feel that the Columbia boosters act like those counties don't even exist. I live in Anderson County less than 10 minutes from downtown Greenville but i'm not included in the Greenville MSA. It's really odd seeing that. With the growth of Powdersville and Greer, I could see Anderson and Spartanburg Counties added back to the Greenville MSA in 2010 although i'm not holding my breath on that. The fact of the matter is that at present time, Columbia is the largest MSA and city while Greenville is the largest CSA and county. If people have problems with that then they should just move to Atlanta so they can be happy being the biggest in terms of population in the southeast.
But why do you seem to take that out on Columbia, like it's Columbia's fault or something? The mayor of Columbia isn't in charge of how the Census designates its metro areas. For the time being, just use the CSA statistics. No one disputes that Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson is the largest CSA in the state. There is simply a fundamental difference in how each region is constituted. The Midlands revolves around one principal city, while the Upstate revolves around three principal cities. It just is what it is.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
But why do you seem to take that out on Columbia, like it's Columbia's fault or something? The mayor of Columbia isn't in charge of how the Census designates its metro areas. For the time being, just use the CSA statistics. No one disputes that Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson is the largest CSA in the state. There is simply a fundamental difference in how each region is constituted. The Midlands revolves around one principal city, while the Upstate revolves around three principal cities. It just is what it is.
I'm not taking it out on the city of Columbia. Sorry if that's the impression you got. It's definitely not their fault the Census made the MSA designations the way they did. We in Greenville just feel like it's not fair that Spartanburg and Anderson Counties aren't included in the Greenville MSA and that this area deserves more respect from the Census Bureau than we're currently getting. Obviously there are things that have to happen for those counties to be re-included in the Greenville MSA and they might or might not happen in 2010.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:31 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,333,880 times
I'm out. I guess as long as the businesses continue to come to the upstate its all good.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:47 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,199,211 times
Can someone save us all and put a fork in this thread? It's done! Geesh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area