Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2021, 01:16 PM

764 posts, read 507,869 times

Advertisements

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 03:09 PM

306 posts, read 393,131 times
Most large displays are today.

The largest display is over lake Murray, you can park on the irmo side or go out to Dreher island state park. Best viewed by boat if possible. The fireworks are launched from two different locations in the lake.

https://www.lakemurraycountry.com/ev...edical-center/

Also, tonight at the Columbia fireflies stadium (Segra Park) there will be a performance by the SC Philharmonic and fireworks to follow.

https://www.milb.com/columbia/news/f...mbia-fireflies

Old 07-03-2021, 07:50 PM

@woffgrad13, ahe, probably too late... i was still following the notion of July 4th fireworks celebration over at the Mall in Wash DC.

Old 07-04-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1984 View Post
@woffgrad13, ahe, probably too late... i was still following the notion of July 4th fireworks celebration over at the Mall in Wash DC.
I gotcha! One of my favorite Fourth of July’s as a child was watching the fireworks from the Arlington bridge! Such a fantastic place to be on the Fourth!

I think the reason for the many events not being on the 4th here is that so many people have their own celebrations on the 4th is that many people have their own fireworks displays alongside a cookout on the day of. Likely has to do with the ease of obtaining fireworks.

Old 07-04-2021, 07:41 AM

Also, the Fireworks with the Phil event was fantastic!! I highly recommend it if they have it again! Which I’m sure they will. The event sold out!

Also, please excuse that never ending sentence in my last post.

Old 07-04-2021, 12:54 PM

"One of my favorite Fourth of July’s as a child was watching the fireworks from the Arlington bridge!",
yeah, for a few years, I was doing that as well, spectacular.
So, it sounds like you grew up in NoVA / Wash DC area if you would indulge me...

Old 07-05-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1984 View Post
"One of my favorite Fourth of July’s as a child was watching the fireworks from the Arlington bridge!",
yeah, for a few years, I was doing that as well, spectacular.
So, it sounds like you grew up in NoVA / Wash DC area if you would indulge me...
I grew up here in Columbia, but one of my Grandparents was moved to DC working for the VA. They lived over in Alexandria for several years. (Near the Huntington metro stop) I would go up and spend a month or two with them over the summer. I grew to love DC! I have many friends from college that live there now. So I typically visit at least once per year. I’ve always said that if I found the right opportunity I’d love to live there, but only if I needed to rely on my car sparingly. I love the ability to take the metro, walk, or the occasional Uber to get around. (I hate driving!)

Old 07-05-2021, 10:42 AM

I see and interesting. I've lived in the Greater DC region (Wash DC, northern Virginia like Arlington and Fairfax and Baltimore area) altogether for about eighteen years. Living in DC would be very convenient if you work for some gov agency or a contractor/employee of some large defense contractor or a law firm or the like because the Metro can take you virtually anywhere in DC and DC proper. And the Dupont Circle is always fun, some takes a break during a bike ride, some read newspaper, some just drink some coffee and some play chess and some even just plain people watch... in a busy business district you still have this casual, laid-back atmosphere...

Ok, that's the "then" part of "now and then", for the "now" part, I find Columbia pretty cool, driving slowly along the Main Street one night and noticed the vibe of the night life here... streets or blvd might be a more fitting word are quite big, parking design seems practical, however, some driver did not seem considerate (they open their door without holding it) and hitting car parking next to them, it happened to me, not happy about it but I guess that's the price you would have to pay going to the town. It would be nice if we have metro!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area