Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 11:16 AM

349 posts, read 243,671 times

Advertisements

I’ve only lived here two months, but settling in and getting around with no issues.

However, I’m slowly realizing I’m mispronouncing streets/places. Example: I thought Ballentine was “teen” at the end, not “tine” (so rhymes with valentine). Thought you pronounced the “s” in Gervais, not realizing it was the French pronunciation. Then last night was gently corrected that Huger isn’t “hu-grr” but “hu-gee” or “u-gee” (which doesn’t seem to be a French pronunciation?).

Any other streets or places in the Columbia area that may have different pronunciations I should be aware about? Trying to avoid appearing as a clueless outsider!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 12:00 PM

1,180 posts, read 983,115 times
I spent my childhood in Columbia and always pronounced it as Huger. No one will convince me otherwise.

The only other relevant thing I think of is Chapin = Chay-pin.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:38 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luo2013 View Post
I’ve only lived here two months, but settling in and getting around with no issues.

However, I’m slowly realizing I’m mispronouncing streets/places. Example: I thought Ballentine was “teen” at the end, not “tine” (so rhymes with valentine). Thought you pronounced the “s” in Gervais, not realizing it was the French pronunciation. Then last night was gently corrected that Huger isn’t “hu-grr” but “hu-gee” or “u-gee” (which doesn’t seem to be a French pronunciation?).

Any other streets or places in the Columbia area that may have different pronunciations I should be aware about? Trying to avoid appearing as a clueless outsider!
Trenholm Road = “Treh-num”
Sesquicentennial Park = “Sess-kwi-centennial”

Old 09-10-2020, 11:44 AM

744 posts, read 747,318 times
Pelion = "Pill-yun"

Old 09-10-2020, 07:49 PM

244 posts, read 200,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luo2013 View Post

Can't think of any right off hand, but "Trenholm" is simply pronounced "tren-um", which may or may not be obvious.

"Hu-gee" was probably just the way 18th-century French got pronounced by people unfamiliar with the language. The proper modern French pronunciation would be "hyoo-zhair". Similarly, the French name "Manigault" somehow got corrupted to "Menegay" --- you will still hear both in the Lowcountry, and "Manigault" gets pronounced both "man-a-go" and "man-a-galt". There is also "Mungo" (as in Mungo Homes), and I suspect that this, too, may be a form of Manigault.

Keep in mind, too, that many of the people of this time were illiterate, and might not have had a clear idea of how such names would be spelled. French names sometimes got spelled just the way they sounded in English. "Tebow" (as in Tim) was originally spelled "Thibault", which is pronounced... "Tebow". I once heard the name "Tyo" (tie-oh), which is a phonetic spelling of "Taillon". And let's not forget Celine Dion, but the Dionne quintuplets.

Sacre bleu!

Old 09-14-2020, 04:45 PM

899 posts, read 2,286,957 times
If you ever find yourself up in Kershaw County, Elgin is pronounced "El-jin" (I always think of this because when I moved to Texas, I was the one being corrected as the town with the same name here is pronounced "El-gin" with a hard "g").

Also up that way, Lugoff is "lew-goff".

Old 09-14-2020, 05:26 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Huger St is the one that varies the most. Locals can argue over is it HUG-ger or HUE-ger. The one in Charleston is pronounced HUE-Gee

Old 10-16-2020, 08:22 AM

244 posts, read 200,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
If you ever find yourself up in Kershaw County, Elgin is pronounced "El-jin" (I always think of this because when I moved to Texas, I was the one being corrected as the town with the same name here is pronounced "El-gin" with a hard "g").

Also up that way, Lugoff is "lew-goff".

Your bit of South Carolina trivia for today --- "Lugoff" is actually a Russian name, there was a Count Lugoff who brought Russian workers for the railroad they were building out there, and they named the town after him. You'd never think it.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:24 AM

349 posts, read 243,671 times
So we were corrected last night... we had been pronouncing Columbiana (the mall and the road next to it) as “column-bay-nee-ah.” Our friends were like “where?” And realized we should be pronouncing it “columbi-anna” I think is what they said. Been here 9 months and still learning!

Old 03-27-2021, 09:38 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
I always pronounced Huger as U-Gee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area