Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 05:19 AM

12,952 posts, read 18,813,886 times

Advertisements

The State has a correction on page 2 this morning. Richland grew by 2.4%, Lexington by 3.1% and Kershaw by 1.1%. It's too bad the bogus news got out on the airwaves, and who reads corrections? I think someone had an agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 09:01 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,280,878 times
Since the information was so blatantly incorrect, I can't say I disagree with you.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:47 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,584,645 times
Typically, the bad information comes from the Upstate, but now the Lowcountry is getting in on the act while Columbia just keeps growing.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:47 AM

543 posts, read 1,111,279 times
I was in Table Rock all weekend, no phone service, no Wi-Fi, no TV, so I grabbed the Friday edition of the State news paper, only because there was nothing else to read. There on the back page I noticed my city had stopped growing, it was mind blowing. Love TR, but I need the info.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
I was in Table Rock all weekend, no phone service, no Wi-Fi, no TV, so I grabbed the Friday edition of the State news paper, only because there was nothing else to read. There on the back page I noticed my city had stopped growing, it was mind blowing. Love TR, but I need the info.
Read the conversation above. It was bogus information.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 784 times
Default Any census updates???

Hello City-data world, I'm new to this website but love the data that I am able to find. I work in a recruiting department that relies heavily on knowing different industries around the US to find valuable places to recruit from. We also look at population, unemployment, family income, etc. Perhaps is more a product of me being new, but I all the data that I am looking for seems to be from the 2010-2013 census...does anyone know if there is more updated data/when the new census info will be available on this website?

Thank you,
Kris

Old 03-03-2021, 07:06 PM

It's that time of year. Except this time we get the official census numbers. It looks like all census data will be released on May the 4th according to their website.

https://www.census.gov/programs-surv.../schedule.html

As far as any realignments, I think Columbia gets Newberry but any other county is a wash. No idea if we will get Orangeburg and/or Sumter.

Myrtle Beach will almost certainly add Georgetown to its MSA.

No idea about Greenville, its anyone's guess as it changes every census drastically.

Charleston should stay the same.

Thoughts?

Old 03-06-2021, 07:10 AM

8,255 posts, read 13,402,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
It's that time of year. Except this time we get the official census numbers. It looks like all census data will be released on May the 4th according to their website.

https://www.census.gov/programs-surv.../schedule.html

As far as any realignments, I think Columbia gets Newberry but any other county is a wash. No idea if we will get Orangeburg and/or Sumter.

Myrtle Beach will almost certainly add Georgetown to its MSA.

No idea about Greenville, its anyone's guess as it changes every census drastically.

Charleston should stay the same.

Thoughts?
There was some conversation on this some time ago in another thread about Orangeburg and Sumter being added. Based on the definition of a CSA.. I would have thought both would be in Columbia's by now since that is a lower threshold than a MSA..I am surprised that at a minimum Orangeburg is not in it already but Saluda is. I know quite a few people that live in Orangeburg and commute on 26 into Columbia which seems like an easier commute than from Saluda down 378 through the western empire into town.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area

Old 03-06-2021, 09:41 AM

I know people in lower Orangeburg County who commute to Dorchester and Berkeley counties. And my first cousin who bought and farms much of my grandparents’ old land in southern Orangeburg County near the Dorchester County line sells a lot of produce in Summerville. I don’t mean to say there’s a chance Orangeburg County would ever be in the Charleston-North Charleston MSA. I’m just saying I’m not sure if the economic and social ties between Orangeburg and Columbia carry enough weight to make O’burg County swing that way per the Census Bureau this time around. But I’ve still got one eye on Colleton County and its commuting percentages to the Tri-County region.

Edit: on that last sentence I forgot which forum I was in.

Old 03-06-2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
There was some conversation on this some time ago in another thread about Orangeburg and Sumter being added. Based on the definition of a CSA.. I would have thought both would be in Columbia's by now since that is a lower threshold than a MSA..I am surprised that at a minimum Orangeburg is not in it already but Saluda is. I know quite a few people that live in Orangeburg and commute on 26 into Columbia which seems like an easier commute than from Saluda down 378 through the western empire into town.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area
Right, Orangeburg for sure is in the CSA but for some reason Sumter is not. If Sumter was included in Columbia's CSA then this would have pushed the population over 1 million. But then again, that would be 8 counties haha

At Michelin I knew quite a few people from Orangeburg as well that made the trek to Lexington county for work. Likewise for Edgefield and Aiken county, but they aren't in Columbia's CSA.

Since then, a lot could have changed since the manufacturing jobs (Volvo, Boeing) in Charleston could be drawing residents to work there. Orangeburg is such a huge county that the upper half probably works more in the Columbia metro and the lower half in the Charleston metro. Although with that said, I'd be shocked either way if Orangeburg made it into Columbia's MSA or Charleston's MSA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I know people in lower Orangeburg County who commute to Dorchester and Berkeley counties. And my first cousin who bought and farms much of my grandparents’ old land in southern Orangeburg County near the Dorchester County line sells a lot of produce in Summerville. I don’t mean to say there’s a chance Orangeburg County would ever be in the Charleston-North Charleston MSA. I’m just saying I’m not sure if the economic and social ties between Orangeburg and Columbia carry enough weight to make O’burg County swing that way per the Census Bureau this time around. But I’ve still got one eye on Colleton County and its commuting percentages to the Tri-County region.

Edit: on that last sentence I forgot which forum I was in.
I agree, I dont think it'd be enough to sway Orangeburg one way or the other. Both Metro's are still slowly creeping Orangeburg's way so it'll be a tug of war in the coming decades. Especially since Columbia has finally started seeing major developments towards Sandy Run.

Colleton county could be interesting and would be the next logical choice for Charleston (before Orangeburg I'd argue) via highway 17. But Walterboro (the chunk of Colleton counties population) is still 45 minutes or so from even the outskirts of Charlestons sprawl. What do they call it in sports, the darkhorse? Maybe Colleton county will be the darkhorse candidate for Charleston MSA-Ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area