Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2007, 08:05 PM

39 posts, read 158,635 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to move out to the Denver area about June of 08' from a exurb of Boston. I am more or less set on a new built home in either Castle Rock area or Parker. There are a number of reason for moving but the catalyst is the company I am employed by is headquartered out of DTC on the southside of the city and am relocating for that.
I am fairly well informed on the area through talking with coworkers, searching the net and searching on the forums here. However, if anyone has any useful info on any of these communities listed below it would be greatly appreciated. And thanks in advance.

The towns we are looking at are, inor der of preference currently:
Castle Rock
Larkspur
Castle Pines
Parker

I am looking a new home or if not, in the last 10 years constructed homes. The main things we are looking at is lot which is arounf .40-.50 a acre size. This is part of the reason though we realize parker is agreat city it seems most of the homes are right next to each other.
We are also, hoping not to be in a suburban sprawl/row-house type community or one with plain, flat, and devoid of trees environ. We realize we won't find a place with all these but are hoping to meet some of them.
Price wise we are looking in the 400k and below range.
I have got a pretty good feel for Castle Rock but am wondering about some (any) of the surrounding towns like Sedalia, Castle Pines and Larkspur. Also, we are looking at Parker but mostly subdivisions with larger lots 16,000 sq ft and up like "The Pineries".
My wife wants a place that is not too off the beaten path which has access say 15-20 minute drive to some shopping areas. It doesn't have to the greatest shopping just a good mall or walmart, target, department store style. Now me on the hand want a place to relax that is not too big city hsutle and bustle and has a friendly small town style where people are nice but don't get too nosy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 08:04 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,480,618 times
Let me say it right up front, I am absolutely opposed to the type of exurban sprawl you want to embrace. I firmly believe that it is a lifestyle that will be unsustainable in a very few years. That said, to each is own.

But, the one thing you need to be very aware of in that area is the water situation. Most homes outside of incorporated areas are reliant on well water. Most of that comes out of the Denver Basin acquifer. I have posted on this before. I actually grew up (50 years ago) on water from that acquifer. At that time, hydrologists thought there was at least a 400-500 year supply in that acquifer. With all of the growth in rural Douglas County tapping that acquifer, many hydrologists now believe that the acquifer has 25 years or less of water left at present rates of drawdown. This was front page news a year or so ago in the Denver media, but don't expect a real estate agent to talk about it. Personally, the last thing I would do is buy an expensive house reliant on a water supply that may be exhausted in that short of a time. My $0.02

Old 05-07-2007, 08:20 AM

39 posts, read 158,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Let me say it right up front, I am absolutely opposed to the type of exurban sprawl you want to embrace. I firmly believe that it is a lifestyle that will be unsustainable in a very few years. That said, to each is own.

But, the one thing you need to be very aware of in that area is the water situation. Most homes outside of incorporated areas are reliant on well water. Most of that comes out of the Denver Basin acquifer. I have posted on this before. I actually grew up (50 years ago) on water from that acquifer. At that time, hydrologists thought there was at least a 400-500 year supply in that acquifer. With all of the growth in rural Douglas County tapping that acquifer, many hydrologists now believe that the acquifer has 25 years or less of water left at present rates of drawdown. This was front page news a year or so ago in the Denver media, but don't expect a real estate agent to talk about it. Personally, the last thing I would do is buy an expensive house reliant on a water supply that may be exhausted in that short of a time. My $0.02
So, you are ssaying the small towns like Larkspur or Sedalia use well water as opposed to places like Castle Rock or Parker? Any recommendations on living areas.IYHO. Just curious

Old 05-07-2007, 01:10 PM

291 posts, read 2,076,055 times
Not all of Parker has houses that are too close together. Check some of the developments just south of town. The Pinery has a mix of old and new homes with large lots and lots of trees.

You might want to open your search to some other places with potential. For example, the east end of Centennial (and Foxfield) has many houses on 1+ acres that are cheaper than those in Castle Pines and less than 8 miles to the Tech Center. Prices start in the 500's and some of the areas are consolidating their water systems into a very large district (ACCWA) that has the resources to get new water.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:58 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,480,618 times
bms,

My post alluded to the problem "outside of incorporated areas." One heck of a lot of Douglas County fits that description. I would assume that the original poster was looking for a property within an incorporated area, but that wasn't completely clear in his post.

As a native Coloradan who knows his way around water issues just a bit, I make the following recommendation to anyone buying property anywhere in the state: KNOW WHAT THE WATER SITUATION IS FOR THE PROPERTY YOU'RE BUYING! If it's in town, know what the town's water situation is. In an outlying area, know where your domestic water is coming from and how reliable the source is. For irrigation water, know what water rights you are acquiring, and the quality and seniority of the rights.

Colorado has about the highest number of water attorneys of any state for a reason. Water is serious business--make no assumptions. Verify, verify, verify.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:02 AM

226 posts, read 1,370,170 times
With the exception of homes with over five acres of land, very few homes in Castle Rock or Larkspur use well water. The vast majority of homes in Larkspur are located in either Perry Park Ranch, Sage Port, Sterling Pointe and Perry Park East and with the exception of about 10 of those homes they are all serviced by City Water. In Castle Rock the only established subdivision that comes to mind that relies on well water is Keene Ranch, virtually every other home (excluding homes on larger acreage) is serviced by city water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado